Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Avanti

Thinking about the AMT Avanti for my next build. I think I've heard of fitment issues inherent with this kit. But what I'm really wondering about are the several releases that have been available : Millinium, Reggie Jackson, Prestige, Retro Deluxe, or 50th Anniversary. Do any of you have opinions/experience regarding which release has less tooling issues ? Thanks.

The only problem areas that I experienced had to do with the door hinges since the kit's hinges were designed long ago and were sort of fiddly then and haven't gotten any better with age. For the most part it is a well detailed kit with some build options. Just take your time and test fit the parts often during the build. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdcar32 said:

Thinking about the AMT Avanti for my next build. I think I've heard of fitment issues inherent with this kit. But what I'm really wondering about are the several releases that have been available : Millinium, Reggie Jackson, Prestige, Retro Deluxe, or 50th Anniversary. Do any of you have opinions/experience regarding which release has less tooling issues ? Thanks.

That's just the reissues done since the '80s. There were a few issues before that since it was originally released in the mid '60s.

• Like 1

Prior to the Reggie Jackson issue by several years was the Modern Classics issue.  All of the kits in that series had a lot of optional parts deleted, the Avanti was no different.  But it did include the complete stock version, which is probably what most builders would want.

• Like 1

Just checked a Modern Classics issue kit.  It's less de-contented than other kits in the series (most notably the '57 Thunderbird).

Racing roll cage is gone, Halibrand wheels are gone, replaced by five-slot wheels similar to those in a lot of concurrent AMT Street Rods series kits.  Ironically, that move necessitated the inclusion of a second set of tires, the hollow stock car tires AMT used in the late Sixties and early Seventies.  Earlier issues had only four tires.  The stock Firestone Supreme tires have pad-printed whitewalls (those started disappearing from AMT kits around this time, 1974-1975).

The dual supercharger setup and racing headers are still included, as are the custom bumpers and optional-for-1964 rectangular headlamp bezels.  The kit represents an early 1963 car, underhood detail includes the long/skinny battery that was used in early production cars.  At some point in the 1963 model year it was replaced with a more conventionally shaped unit.  So if you wish to build a 1964 car, that detail needs to be addressed.

I'd suspect the Reggie Jackson issue has the same parts as the Modern Classics issue.  I know the MC issue has no decal sheet, and I believe this to be true for the RJ issue also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mark said:

Prior to the Reggie Jackson issue by several years was the Modern Classics issue.  All of the kits in that series had a lot of optional parts deleted, the Avanti was no different.  But it did include the complete stock version, which is probably what most builders would want.

Pretty sure the "Modern Classics" issue had all the parts. I remember building an Avanti in the late '70 with all the custom parts and moon disks and 5 slot wheels [instead of the Halibrands]. There were no older kits available to me in my backwater coal mining town so I'm pretty sure is was the MC issue. 

Now, looking at the Jackson reissue on e-bay right now, it has a sealed chrome shot with a lot of parts missing from the tree so I know it wasn't that one. Not to mention it came out later then the one I had built.

I think the next issue after that was the Prestige issue, all the same parts as the MC issue.

Looks like only the Jackson issue was severely de-contented.

BTW, Mark, I was just finishing up typing this post when you did your last one.

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

My analysis of the Modern Classics issue comes from looking at one of two sealed kits I bought in the early days of eBay.  I first checked the instruction sheet, then the parts trees.  I do have a Reggie Jackson issue but didn't look at that one.

• Like 1

Seeing as it was Lesney that did the RJ issue, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it has fewer parts than the Modern Classics issue.  Lesney bought AMT in 1978, then promptly started changing things around: blocking off parts, putting in fewer tires, substituting rub-on transfers for decal sheets.  Not surprising they went belly-up only three years later...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chris in Berwyn said:

And even better, the post you link to is by “regular guy.”  He was always good for some unusual posts. Wonder what happened to him?

Though the thread I linked to was started by "regular guy", the vast majority of useful information on the thread is from other users.

• Like 1

I built the Prestige version of this kit and was quite happy with it. The only issue I had (as mentioned by others in this post) was the opening doors. I had to do some sanding on the edges of the exterior and interior door panels to get them to fit well. I wish I had used some hidden magnets inside the doors panels and the body to keep the doors closed snugly. I hadn't learned that trick using magnets at that time. The doors do close well, but when you pick the model up, one or both doors tend to pop open slightly.

Bart

P1010115.JPG.cd0db3ed1262d035979ed72f98a86415.JPG

P1010128.JPG.4ec48bea441d3ac619b5822ce9bead06.JPG

IMG_0270.thumb.JPG.85deeb2b06e2cb75c085a200ced47634.JPG

• Like 4