Model Cars Magazine Forum

78 dodge welding rig

As if I needed another project I just couldn’t help myself and decided to start another welding rig. I will be using the reissued 78 dodge from mpc. I will need to shorten the wheel base to accommodate the bed. The bed, tanks and welder are all 3D printed. I plan to use a set of dually wheels and tires from the moebius ramp truck. At this time I think I’m going to keep it 2wd but that could change. Here is where it sits. 

8387D3E6-EBF4-466A-A337-C691DBA67846.jpeg

B88881BA-0177-4B1E-A7FD-9DBADFC75305.jpeg

659A569B-56A6-4520-AB94-C7CDB0BBBF1B.jpeg

• Like 4

So I decided to change wheels and tires. I printed the tires and taillights. Still need to print the wheels. And i am going 4 wheel drive. The kit axles are a no go so I used some old mopar axles and upgraded the tubes so I can cut them to fit. I will be making the leaf springs as well. 

08AC0C31-D561-45DD-A243-5FD3F348ACBE.jpeg

872DC356-65D9-4F1E-8CA5-C0853F8BE3F1.jpeg

97EA62BD-DA9C-48AB-8E31-5C6DC1450994.jpeg

Edited by zaina

Going to be an interesting build to watch.  The move to 4WD was essential, you have to have the capabilities to go out in the middle of fields to repair farm equipment or to work on pipelines.  IMHO if you want dependability stick with the Miller welder; Lincoln is ok, but Miller rules.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:28 AM, TarheelRick said:

Going to be an interesting build to watch.  The move to 4WD was essential, you have to have the capabilities to go out in the middle of fields to repair farm equipment or to work on pipelines.  IMHO if you want dependability stick with the Miller welder; Lincoln is ok, but Miller rules.

If I kept the moebius tires I probably would have left it 2wd. My college welding instructor had a 2wd rig that he used on the pipelines so I was kinda going to build it as a remembrance of him. I am a pipelime welder by trade so as far as welders go I like both. But I prefer Lincoln on the truck and Miller in the shop. 

On 1/22/2023 at 11:07 PM, zaina said:

So I’m in the process of printing a 2021 gmc 2500. The rear axle just so happens to fit perfectly on this dodge and looks better than the one I built so….I guess I will print another one

CFD90EAC-9BCC-42FC-B751-D81E0F99B22F.jpeg

That rear axle/leaf spring looks really good.  Do you mind sharing where you got the 2021 GMC 2500 from?  I'd love to print my own for a Dodge ambulance I'm building and printing a modern pickup would be nice to do as well.

On 1/26/2023 at 11:46 AM, explorer2770 said:

That rear axle/leaf spring looks really good.  Do you mind sharing where you got the 2021 GMC 2500 from?  I'd love to print my own for a Dodge ambulance I'm building and printing a modern pickup would be nice to do as well.

Here is the link. 
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/gmc-sierra-2500-2022