Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford W Series cab 3D printed. Interested?

• 2 weeks later...

If you do make them,can you also make something for the cab hinges,to make it easier to have the cab tilt.That would be a great feature,something that could "hook" onto the end of the rails?. How long does it take for the printer to actually make a cab,id love to see a video of one being made. harvey

12 hours ago, 37 caddy said:

If you do make them,can you also make something for the cab hinges,to make it easier to have the cab tilt.That would be a great feature,something that could "hook" onto the end of the rails?. How long does it take for the printer to actually make a cab,id love to see a video of one being made. harvey

I am going to be honest, I am not sure the durability would be good enough to not have them brake, I also know little to nothing about Semi Models so Scott would definitely need to be the one to do it. Its his model but I do try to add or alter as needed to not bug him too much

• 2 months later...

All right guys so after a lot of getting really upset with the whole deal going back and changing things some help from Scott well he did the most of it I just had to go in and put my two cents in but this is where I'm at I will be doing it here's some pictures of the body it will come with a full interior one air ride seat one sitting on a box the tub the dash the steering wheel windshield wipers turn signal housings lenses for the headlights and the turn signals those are going to be printed and clear resin which is clear-ish it is kind of foggy but spray with some clear coat and it gets a lot better. Price is going to be $100 that shipped in America is takes significant amount of time four different print runs that doesn't produce just one but still four different printer runs one for the body one for the tub one for the interior and one for the lenses. The kit will come remove from the supports but the bracing on the inside to keep the body square keep warping from happening throughout the whole process will need to be cut off side cutters should work fine obviously there's an order you're going to want to do them in not rocket science or anything but you're going to want to cut what you can get to and as you cut those out the layers above it will easily be reachable I mean I don't even know why I had to say that but there you go tell me what you guys think I should have this ready maybe tomorrow I've got the bodies done I'm starting the tubs and the interior now and the lenses but for sure Monday. I think the surface finish came out extremely well there might be some defects here or there nothing that a little sanding won't fix that back right corner seems to always have a little bit of surface defect but you can't even feel it with your finger but you can see it Little bit of filler primer and a little sanding thing will be smooth as can be. 

20230506_135906.jpg

20230506_135921.jpg

20230506_135949.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/20/2023 at 5:36 PM, R.J said:

This is one I would love to see.

6 Ford super duty tractor950.jpg

The two- story Falcon! I did the Frontier version.  It was a challenge because it was pretty crude and some parts were not very accurate so there was a lot of improvising. I think it came out okay (barely) but there is definitely room in the market for a better one.

E73D41E1-F19C-4BDA-AFF3-0354C8D90DE7.jpeg

EFBF8405-7FEE-48CB-B72E-A759946290BA.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 1:04 PM, Texas_3D_Customs said:

All right guys so after a lot of getting really upset with the whole deal going back and changing things some help from Scott well he did the most of it I just had to go in and put my two cents in but this is where I'm at I will be doing it here's some pictures of the body it will come with a full interior one air ride seat one sitting on a box the tub the dash the steering wheel windshield wipers turn signal housings lenses for the headlights and the turn signals those are going to be printed and clear resin which is clear-ish it is kind of foggy but spray with some clear coat and it gets a lot better. Price is going to be $100 that shipped in America is takes significant amount of time four different print runs that doesn't produce just one but still four different printer runs one for the body one for the tub one for the interior and one for the lenses. The kit will come remove from the supports but the bracing on the inside to keep the body square keep warping from happening throughout the whole process will need to be cut off side cutters should work fine obviously there's an order you're going to want to do them in not rocket science or anything but you're going to want to cut what you can get to and as you cut those out the layers above it will easily be reachable I mean I don't even know why I had to say that but there you go tell me what you guys think I should have this ready maybe tomorrow I've got the bodies done I'm starting the tubs and the interior now and the lenses but for sure Monday. I think the surface finish came out extremely well there might be some defects here or there nothing that a little sanding won't fix that back right corner seems to always have a little bit of surface defect but you can't even feel it with your finger but you can see it Little bit of filler primer and a little sanding thing will be smooth as can be. 

20230506_135906.jpg

20230506_135921.jpg

20230506_135949.jpg

This looks like it!  I plan to order soon, once my hobby budget gets a little better!

I feel we are on the verge of seeing a lot of high quality subjects that were ignored by big plastic in the past, thanks to the advent of 3d printing. It's just a matter of time till we see the once popular H series Ford or  60's-70's Chevy - GMC tilt cabs done right in resin. IMO, there is a strong market for these classic "glider kit cabs". Plastic  donors kits are readily available now, this wasn't the case in previous decades.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2023 at 11:26 AM, leafsprings said:

I feel we are on the verge of seeing a lot of high quality subjects that were ignored by big plastic in the past, thanks to the advent of 3d printing. It's just a matter of time till we see the once popular H series Ford or  60's-70's Chevy - GMC tilt cabs done right in resin. IMO, there is a strong market for these classic "glider kit cabs". Plastic  donors kits are readily available now, this wasn't the case in previous decades.

This is going to sound really arrogant and it's not supposed to come off that way but I can see how it will be taken this way; there are a lot of people doing printing I am very fortunate that Scott and I have a good relationship. He has the time to model saving me tons of work and his knowledge on Semis is by far superior to mine because well mine is really not that good. All I have to do is a few changes here and there; he puts the majority of the work in as far, but there's also a big disparity between the really good printers and the people just turning out trash This is more of a labor of love because while the price seems high I put a lot in each kit and I mean a lot of time and a lot of resin, I really don't make that much off this kit. I wanted to come in cheaper but I just couldn't because of the cost to make this. I think that's going to deter a lot of people.

Edited by Texas_3D_Customs
Spelling and Grammar
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2023 at 7:07 PM, RoninUtah said:

That said, I’d love to see a late ‘up’s- early 70’s W series, the version before the Louisville grille.  AITM had both the Crackerbox GMC and the Dodge, but they’re gone, at least for the foreseeable future.

This W9000 cab is currently in work. The cab used on the Blue Mule. It is a lot of work to get it right and there is a lack of good documentation with dimensions. I am getting close, but it may still be a little bit before it is right and ready to go. 

The Dodge and GMC will be done in the near future. 

• Like 2