Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRGB 2023 Official Thread

First off I want to thank everyone who has joined the GB. Here’s the guidelines of the Group Build it’s pretty basic and simple. You can post a pic of what your building here but not as your build thread. 

1. Must be of any Scale Model Truck over 2 tons weight limit. Truck and Trailers are welcome. 

2.  Model must be unbuild but doesn’t have to be made of plastic only. Resin, Metal, Wood or any other materials can be used as well as Aftermarket items. 

3.  Model can be scratched built or Kit bashed with any other models including Collectible’s but MUST have Parts from a unbuilt model to compete the truck. 

4. Model can be painted including the Cab/ Hood/ Frame but must be unbuilt. 

5. Must start on February 1 with your own thread with Pics of what your building and some Sprue shots or Materials of your Model that is being built and “2023 BRGB” in the start of Your thread so it will be easier to recognize who’s in the GB. You can join in at anytime after February 1st and the end date is February 1st 2024 but you can finish it at anytime after that if you wish. If you finish early you are Welcome to build another one. 

6. When finished with your Model post it in the “ Big Rigs Under Glass” section with BRGB 2023 in the beginning of the title. 

7. Have Fun! 

Here’s the list of entries

Pete68 (me)  AMT 1/43 Kenworth K-100 with AMT 1/43 Fruehauf Reefer Trailer  

Warren D.     Undecided 

Gary Chastian. Heavy Hauler?

J.B. Customs.     Undecided

Bills72sj.           Revell KW W900 with AMT Doubles  

53GMC            AMT GMC General 

Rockford        1/32 AMT Kenworth Aerodyne W900  Conventional  

Edited by Pete68
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Rockford said:

I'm looking forward to seeing these come together. You just don't see them around. It's a shame AMT didn't continue this range, they were great kits. 

Yes they were. I wish the would had at least made a Cabover Pete and a conventional KW W-900 to go with these. 

Here is my entry for the BRGB. Revell Peterbilt Wrecker with a 3D printed White Freightliner dual cab. Not sure of the decals just yet but may try to incorporate the kit decals. I purchased the files from CG Trader and printed on my Elegoo Saturn printer. 

B9B3B822-B05F-454C-98B8-6CC476CA78A9.jpeg

4EC8DFBE-F427-4A41-8702-52686E7CAB4A.jpeg

EEBE67BC-4D00-4298-AECA-472A573BBC93.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Dutzie said:

Here is my entry for the BRGB. Revell Peterbilt Wrecker with a 3D printed White Freightliner dual cab. Not sure of the decals just yet but may try to incorporate the kit decals. I purchased the files from CG Trader and printed on my Elegoo Saturn printer. 

B9B3B822-B05F-454C-98B8-6CC476CA78A9.jpeg

4EC8DFBE-F427-4A41-8702-52686E7CAB4A.jpeg

EEBE67BC-4D00-4298-AECA-472A573BBC93.jpeg

Very nice looking forward to this one. 

I think mine will be a GMC Topkick home heating oil delivery truck.  I'll post pics when I start the WIP Build thread.  (Still waiting on some parts, after the supply issues of the last few years, I've decided not to start a project unless I have everything I need in hand).

• Like 2

Here's my entry. AMT 1/32 W900 Aerodyne. I did think about the Movin' On truck but it would be too risky, cutting the cap off the sleeper and cab roof 🤔, can't take that chance. I also thought of using the Monogram T600 cab but even though they're both 1/32 the cabs have considerably different firewall dimensions which would have required major alterations to the hood, again, too risky. I also compared the two to the real thing and the AMT is closer to the correct width. 

Might replace the rear suspension with a Reyco steel spring from Monogram (in photo). 

Using Monogram wheels and tyres (even though they're rubbish) for better scale appearance. AMT are too small (see my rants in other threads). 

Replace the 5th wheel plate.

Add rear hubs, brake chambers, pogo stick and rubber mudflaps. 

Deepen the front bumper.

Move the fuel tanks forward to the correct position.

Improve the exhaust system.

Improve the mirrors, add wipers and a sun visor.1692456685_IMG_20230124_1140240412.thumb.jpg.7f9b1f1da35f010cdf7be3cbc82586e1.jpg

Other than that, it really doesn't need much. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Warren D said:

I've decided not to start a project unless I have everything I need in hand).

Wise thinking Grasshopper. My dad drove a Kodiak in the 80s with a 5 main and a 4 Auxiliary transmission it was a neat dump truck. Great build choice as well. 

50 minutes ago, Rockford said:

Here's my entry. AMT 1/32 W900 Aerodyne. I did think about the Movin' On truck but it would be too risky, cutting the cap off the sleeper and cab roof 🤔, can't take that chance. I also thought of using the Monogram T600 cab but even though they're both 1/32 the cabs have considerably different firewall dimensions which would have required major alterations to the hood, again, too risky. I also compared the two to the real thing and the AMT is closer to the correct width. 

Might replace the rear suspension with a Reyco steel spring from Monogram (in photo). 

Using Monogram wheels and tyres (even though they're rubbish) for better scale appearance. AMT are too small (see my rants in other threads). 

Replace the 5th wheel plate.

Add rear hubs, brake chambers, pogo stick and rubber mudflaps. 

Deepen the front bumper.

Move the fuel tanks forward to the correct position.

Improve the exhaust system.

Improve the mirrors, add wipers and a sun visor.1692456685_IMG_20230124_1140240412.thumb.jpg.7f9b1f1da35f010cdf7be3cbc82586e1.jpg

Other than that, it really doesn't need much. 

Nice looking line up I’ll watch how you put this masterpiece together. Don’t fret about the tires in this scale it’s about all we have to work with. I wish I would have fixed my bumper but I still like it. 

15 hours ago, Chu said:

I’m interested question: I have a rescue AMT KW 100 with a repair back wall and already primed. Can I use this cab to participate in the build group?

Thanks in advance 

The rules are just a guide,  intended to get us building and keep things fair. So, normally as long as the kit is less than 25% complete,  it is fine to use. If all that is done is a primers cab, you are good.

On 1/25/2023 at 3:20 PM, Mopar - D said:

I’m in for the BRBO 2023.

This thread isn’t for the BRBO 2023 it’s for the  BRGB that I started so if you want to join the BRGB 2023 your more than happy just remember its not the same this is just for “Fun” NO PRIZES OR WINNERS. I started this thread along with the RULES of the GB. No Model can be started just the Cab Painted or Primered  the UNBUILT parts can be painted also. Thanks 

Edited by Pete68

23 hours ago, Chu said:

I’m interested question: I have a rescue AMT KW 100 with a repair back wall and already primed. Can I use this cab to participate in the build group?

Thanks in advance 

That will be fine as long as the Kit is NOT starting. Kit must be unstarted  not even 25% started stated in the Rules I provided at the beginning of this thread. Some people are getting this confused with the BRBO which this GB is not. Thanks 

8 hours ago, Oldmopars said:
On 1/25/2023 at 7:09 PM, Chu said:

The rules are just a guide,  intended to get us building and keep things fair. So, normally as long as the kit is less than 25% complete,  it is fine to use. If all that is done is a primers cab, you are good.

Kit must be UNBUILT not even 25% this is Not the BRBO. 

Edited by Pete68

46 minutes ago, Pete68 said:

That will be fine as long as the Kit is NOT starting. Kit must be unstarted  not even 25% started stated in the Rules I provided at the beginning of this thread. Some people are getting this confused with the BRBO which this GB is not. Thanks 

Is just a repair cab that I saved from a junkyard cabs that I bought a while ago!! My project would be a AMT KW 100 kit bash 😃!!

here is the picture 

9B050167-F157-4ACD-BFA8-DF51A084191C.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chu said:

Is just a repair cab that I saved from a junkyard cabs that I bought a while ago!! My project would be a AMT KW 100 kit bash 😃!!

here is the picture 

9B050167-F157-4ACD-BFA8-DF51A084191C.jpeg

Looks good to me just make sure when you start your thread to add the unbuilt frame in your pics. Thanks