Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, it WAS amt's '61 Ranchero...

Farmboy

My apologies to those waiting for updates.  Thought I'd take a minute to show how I made the rubber couplers.

I used a tube cutter.  This one is yer basic down to 1/8

IMG-20230723-142209.jpg

The tube rest is too big for most modeling cuts.  In the shot above take note of the rollers.  They don't let you do the small diameter end cuts needed a lot of the time.  I took a second tube cutter, removed the wheels and replaced them with a one-piece wooden support block with a groove added for small tubing to rest in.  The circles were for the pins if they had been required.

IMG-20230723-142308.jpg

See the differenceIMG-20230723-142401.jpg

The rubber couplers were fabbed from shrink tubing heated around the appropriate diameter metal - in this case brass - tubing.  I guess aluminum would work too.

The straight ends are now a given.  I eyeballed the length of the couplers simply by indexing the shrink (shrunk?) tubing against the inside shoulder of the cutter.

IMG-20230723-142624.jpg

Slide the cut piece off the end.  Wrap the foil if you use it while the cut piece is still on the rod

IMG-20230723-143054.jpg

Comments and observations welcome

Edited by Farmboy

You really go out of the way with attention to detail. Thanks for the How-To. Nice technique to have in the toolbox. I just hack them off with an Xacto.

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk and cut it off with an ax.

Hi Gary. It's a convenient mod to do to a tube cutter.  I made it a couple of years ago and it's come in handy more than a few times since then.  Thanks for the shout out.

Edited by Farmboy

These mockup shots will probably be the last ones before completion.  Still have a few details to add such as tail lights, Ford ovals front and back and mirrors, along with  a small number of engine enhancements like fabbing a couple of narrow heat shields over the headers as the flanges look crappy after the Molotow, and repainting the transmission (but it'll have a cover over it in any case).  The engine hoses need  connecting to the front plate, and I'm still playing with the f.i. harness.  Sounds like a lot but it really isn't, just need the time.  Thanks to all that took an interest in the build.  I'll post notice here when it's finished in the Under Glass dept.

IMG-20230726-160100.jpg

IMG-20230726-160115.jpg

IMG-20230726-160133.jpg

IMG-20230726-160201.jpg

IMG-20230726-160242.jpg

Comments and observations welcome.

Well Gary, the impetus for the whole thing was the Potvin blower.  I picked up the Mooneyes dragster  just for the blower assembly for some future build (didn't want to part out the Orange Crate already in my stash).  I was looking thru the H.A.M.B. one day and there was a Potvin equipped flattie!  What a great idea!  I was sold!...but what to put it in?  I decided rear engine, and, it just happened the Ranchero turned out to be the donor.  I had a few pairs of flathead heads,  but I couldn't tell you what kits and pedigrees all the other engine parts -- even the blocks -- came from.  I thought it out then cut, filed, and modified all the different parts till everything fit.  The dual water pumps and associated hose(iery?) add interest and visual complexity.  Thanks for the shout out Gary.

• 2 weeks later...