Model Cars Magazine Forum

Odds & Ends you'd Like to See

I’d love for someone to release a replacement rear engine bonnet for the Revell 911 with a duck tail or factory whale tail spoiler. The one Scale Production sells is an “outlaw” aftermarket version and isn’t meant for the Revell kit.

Ben

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

-1970-1972-1973 Firebird flat hood / Formula hood for Monogram T/A

-1971 Firebird conversion for Monogram T/A (seats, fender grills, front grill)

-1976 Trans-Am conversion for Monogram T/A. Doable mixing an Otaki 1974 and a Monogram 1978

-1976-1979 Formula hood for Monogram T/A

-Turbine wheels for Monogram 1979 Z28

-Rally II wheels for Monogram 1979 Z28

-flat hood for Monogram 1979 Z28

-1971 grille for Amt 1972 GTO

-Ducktail spoiler for 1972 GTO

-correct air cleaner for Monogram 1970 Malibu LS6

-regular non-leather seats for Monogram 1971 Cuda convertible

-elastomeric front bumper for Monogram 1971 Cuda

I would like to see a trans kit for the 2008 Dodge Challenger, so I can finally build a 2015 and up version. I know Clearly Scale did a kit a few years back (front and rear facias, hood, interior, etc. IIRC), but it seems this got lost in the shuffle when CS folded and Model Builder's Warehouse took over the line. This is not a dig, it may not be viable for the current business model, but with the Challenger going away and there bring endless trim levels to model, I think a case can be made for an enterprising 3D artist to sell a ton of these. Appropriate facias and hoods (T/A, Hellcat, Widebody) and wheels to round it all out. Everything you need to update the 2008 in one complete package.

15 hours ago, Mike C. said:

When will somebody tool up a Blazer Chalet camper?

There actually is the 3D print file out there  https://hum3d.com/3d-models/chevy-blazer-chalet-1976/  , but whoever drew it made the mistake of placing it on a shortbed Chevy pickup rather than the unibody Blazer, and had to stretch the camper unit improperly through the window area to make it fit.  Correcting the 3D print file would be the first hurdle, but the next one would be to figure out which of the three kit versions is the most accurate starting point for a buildup.

45 minutes ago, Russell C said:

There actually is the 3D print file out there  https://hum3d.com/3d-models/chevy-blazer-chalet-1976/  , but whoever drew it made the mistake of placing it on a shortbed Chevy pickup rather than the unibody Blazer, and had to stretch the camper unit improperly through the window area to make it fit.  Correcting the 3D print file would be the first hurdle, but the next one would be to figure out which of the three kit versions is the most accurate starting point for a buildup.

theres another of those style campers with the ribbed side panels. it looks to be for a long bed though, however the sides appear to be separate pieces so they might chop down in length. its on cults

On 7/15/2023 at 1:20 AM, Calb56 said:

Carson tops... 49 Ford used to be available from RMoM, Bandit Resin used to have an universal one too. I'd love to see these available again. Especially with the 49 Ford out again.

is it not included in the recent release?

8 hours ago, Russell C said:

When somebody does one and its readily available, I'm all over one if they make it to fit the 1/24 Monogram (now Revell). I have oa vintage kit waiting. for this camper.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

The Carson style top was only included in the original issue of the kit, then it was altered into the half roof (area over driver is open) that exists to this day.

i thought it was restored for the last version. guess i was wrong. its one of my fav bits in the kit and i have loads of builds i could use them on. I'm going to have to learn to cast them i guess

• Like 2

Now that Modelhaus is no more, the time to make the old (smaller) Formula Desert Dog tires is here. What would sweeten the deal is make them slightly bigger (but still not 1/20) but still make them to fit 1/25 wheels and mket them just as easy to make the lettering white. To me, these tires represent the dawn of the whole off-roading movement.

DSC_5541.JPG

6 hours ago, stitchdup said:

i thought it was restored for the last version. guess i was wrong. its one of my fav bits in the kit and i have loads of builds i could use them on. I'm going to have to learn to cast them i guess

I'd buy them!!!

7 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Now that Modelhaus is no more, the time to make the old (smaller) Formula Desert Dog tires is here. What would sweeten the deal is make them slightly bigger (but still not 1/20) but still make them to fit 1/25 wheels and mket them just as easy to make the lettering white. To me, these tires represent the dawn of the whole off-roading movement.

DSC_5541.JPG

https://www.modelhaustires.com/collection/803

7 hours ago, Mike C. said:

DSC_5541.JPG

Modelhaus tires is still in business.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the little hood scoops for '69 'Cuda 383 and 340s. 

They've never been included in the kit but very similar ones were included on the MPC '69 Camaro as a custom option.

I did have a set from the Camaro but after a move and 3 floods, there they are,,, gone.

1969 Plymouth Cuda - The "First Cuda" - My Dream Car

1969 Cuda hood scoops placement | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

1969 Cuda hood scoops placement | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

20 hours ago, 68shortfleet said:

Modelhaus tires is still in business.

I gave up on them. Every time I tried to order them, I the site said they didn't have any more. I would check back a few times a week and still nothing. Then there was all this talk about them changing hands or something. I wound up ordering another MPC CJ7 kit. They give you 5 and the newer tooling looks slightly bigger and wider or something.

On 8/5/2023 at 8:46 AM, Mike C. said:

When will somebody tool up a Blazer Chalet camper?

auction-car-of-the-week-1977-chevy-blazer-chalet.jpg

With the resent interest in off-road cross-country camping, you would thin k this would be a hot product for a new car dealer.  When these were new, I was working for a Chevrolet dealer. Ours sat on the lot for over a year and we never even worked a deal on it. Every Chevrolet dealer got stuck with one of these.  we even started offering a big commission bonus to any salesman that could sell it. Never worked a deal in over a year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, espo said:

With the resent interest in off-road cross-country camping, you would thin k this would be a hot product for a new car dealer.  When these were new, I was working for a Chevrolet dealer. Ours sat on the lot for over a year and we never even worked a deal on it. Every Chevrolet dealer got stuck with one of these.  we even started offering a big commission bonus to any salesman that could sell it. Never worked a deal in over a year. 

Not the first time I heard a story like that. Today, they are highly collectable. I remember an article on them in a really old Off-Road magazine when I was a kid. I thought it was beyond cool. And it was on a Squarebody Blazer. 😎

Just now, Mike C. said:

Not the first time I heard a story like that. Today, they are highly collectable. I remember an article on them in a really old Off-Road magazine when I was a kid. I thought it was beyond cool. And it was on a Squarebody Blazer. 😎

I guess you could say it was ahead of its time. I prefer to call it the answer for the question that nobody asked. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mike C. said:

.... Today, they are highly collectable. ....

Sorta. But what's driving the prices up really boils down to a dozen or so guys over the last 5-6 years who have oodles of dollars and no sense to inquire deep into the sales history of the rigs they are buying or question the sellers assertions of them. I'm the current caretaker of the ancient blazerchalet.com website (it was given to me back when I owned Chalet #1747, I've never had the time or cash to update the site), and I've been tracking the sales of these since 2005. When guys don't do background research on these, they fall for lines like the one seen in the current eBay auction of Chalet #1683 who claims much of the rig is original when in fact it had significant (and incorrectly done) restoration back in 2009-'10. Many, including that particular one, just shift from one classic car dealer/flipper to the next, with jacked up prices each time, often with unsubstantiated assertions made about the rigs. Guy last summer claimed my former rig was a "barn find" when it absolutely was not, going clean back through at least 7 owners back to when I sold it in 2010.

• Like 2