Model Cars Magazine Forum

Happy Van Ford Econoline

I felt I needed to take a short break from my ambitious TROG project in the Community Builds Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread 

Although I've always had a good eye for Ford's Econoline vans, I've never built AMTs until now almost fifty years after their release.

I'm really grateful for Round2's program of reissuing old kits and was even happier when I found White spoke wheels in the box even though they are not mentioned on the box art. Unfortunately, one was missing...
Unfortunately a piece of drop list is also missing so I'll have to try and fix that with plasticard.
I probably have some rims in the scrap box, important is that they are not expensive rims I think, expensive cars are rarely the source of joy. Right from the start I decided it was going to be a happy car, it's easy to go the road worn rusty and dirty delivery car but not this time.
Happy yes, 
sun yellow, sky blue happy 
light dirt, beach dust, happy 
straight 6, happy 
V8 n that's in the box, ok then

The van culture never took hold in Sweden so I don't have any good references but I found a Japanese magazine with cars where there were some vans that looked happy or at least had owners who radiated relaxed joy. We had vans when I worked as a plumber in the 80s but building one doesn't feel like a priority. Google ”Van Japan” gave 
http://deezer.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/
A bit what I was looking for unlike for sale pages with rusty wrecks on a gravel field. The chassis will be there strong, straight and sturdy thats it.
Crowe-t showed in a post how he detailed the inside of the body, thanks !
I will try to get something in the same style.
BDCB771C-AF1E-45F9-8187-CEC789CBE269.jpeg.3360602b95cd9d09f6603e3df1209174.jpeg

Thanks Tony 

Unfortunately we don't have access to that page (overseas..).

Sidepipes, happy !
I have tried to make my own now the hardest part is still to file the tailpipe 45 degrees. Iwas a bit surprised when I put the body over the chassis, even though everything is probably glued correctly it gives the wrong look. I will try to lower the body 3 mm over the chassis.B11F36C6-CB2C-4A7D-9358-695984763EBB.thumb.jpeg.39eced869fa1312029659c28f183deee.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ulf said:

Thanks Tony 

Unfortunately we don't have access to that page (overseas..).

Sidepipes, happy !
I have tried to make my own now the hardest part is still to file the tailpipe 45 degrees. Iwas a bit surprised when I put the body over the chassis, even though everything is probably glued correctly it gives the wrong look. I will try to lower the body 3 mm over the chassis.B11F36C6-CB2C-4A7D-9358-695984763EBB.thumb.jpeg.39eced869fa1312029659c28f183deee.jpeg

If you are going for a '70s van look then don't lower the whole thing. The rear should be up and the front down or bot even but rather  high by today's standards. 

More like this:

stance (2).jpg

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

If you are going for a '70s van look then don't lower the whole thing. The rear should be up and the front down or bot even but rather  high by today's standards. 

More like this:

stance (2).jpg

Sorry, My English is probably not that good.
What I meant was that my body sits too high on the chassis. Maybe it's the math, the top of the floor lines up with the bottom of the cabinet doors but AMT probably should have made the frame rails lower, the kit floor would be 25 mm 1:1.
Your 70's van looks spot on my picture of what it looked like. 

Edited by Ulf
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ulf said:

Sorry, My English is probably not that good.
What I meant was that my body sits too high on the chassis. Maybe it's the math, the top of the floor lines up with the bottom of the cabinet doors but AMT probably should have made the frame rails lower, the kit floor would be 25 mm 1:1.
Your 70's van looks spot on my picture of what it looked like. 

Your English is far better than my Swedish I am sure!

I have the AMT Crusin Van that I will be eventually doing up as the 76 I owned in the mid eighties.

The height on the chassis looks right on to me. 

77.jpg.a614f5bafdc368efe59bb841863b8fa9.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now I have lowered the body 2-3 mm above the frame, I think it looks better anyway. The inside of the door and dashboard make sense now. A little adjustment is needed to get the body in balance.
The wheels from a Moebius pickup might be Annsons from Peagasus to justify my sidepipes. 
Feel free to comment on the height.9395487D-08CF-420E-9DAE-426AA720B34F.thumb.jpeg.f8c5036407ed6d7be1571a4f85463202.jpegEC8B6A56-B4EA-454C-9118-735DA7C33EF7.jpeg.32106b68c7a5a52475cae121558bfb1d.jpeg10314A53-B29C-430A-92CE-7CAAA0836A48.jpeg.e608ed9b79695dc167b30ee3f959abc5.jpeg

• Like 4

Like the look of the lowered body. Does the interior floor still set on the frame without problem?  I'm building one currently, lowered the front by modifying the suspension. You mentioned the dash and door panel, the window glass is very thick, so keep checking the fit with the changes you've made. I went with hand make windows to get everything to fit for my plans.

• 4 months later...
On 6/24/2023 at 1:58 PM, Ulf said:

In primer, paint soon.

ECF58AB0-3E1B-42A7-991E-883E40E14BA5.thumb.jpeg.d71f8aa29b582d2e513f010095384ed7.jpeg

This is the first van I have ever built and quite honestly not the best kit but I will do it again but maybe a little differently.

Nice progress looking 👀 real good!