Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 66 Nova Pro Street

ybsluos

Hi gang

I have always wanted to see if I can cram a big block into this kit while maintaining the kit provided inner fender wells. No small feat this!  It took me forever to find a pair of headers that would work. The big block is basically cobbled together from parts box pieces.  And those headers… Well I bought a few sets for a nominal fee at a swap meet and I found one set that came close to working. However they don’t quite meet up with the heads although with such a tight fit in the engine by it’s hard to tell. I also had to reverse the steering linkage which in the small block kit mounted behind the motor mounts about midway back on the engine.  I also had to forgo putting in the kit provided steering box to my chagrin. I really wanted to put all the pieces back but I had to make this one concession.

like so many of my recent projects this one was Painted by somebody else because I bought it as a built up  at the swap meet. I like the green color though so I decided to retain it. The only thing I did was polish here and there and then brush on three coats of floor wax. I really need to get my hairbrush up and running  because I think the floor wax through an airbrush would yield better results.

The original builder also painted the tin work gold and it appeared to be gold anodized which was a look I always liked in the vintage 80s pro street and drag cars.  It needed touched up here and there however so I used my own craft store acrylic gold paint which was really close to the shade the original builder used. I also just entirely remove the rear tubs in order to jam the tires directly up under the interior backlight.  I like em low!  I was not able to get the front end quite as low as I had hoped to. I wanted  to get it as low as some of these kits I have seen built on tube chassis.  I didn’t quite get there but close. The only other thing I did was scratch build a simple eight point roll bar from plastic coated wire rod that I have. I forget if it was Plastruct or Evergreen , but I believe the former.
 Most of the models I have posted on here the last year and a half have been projects like this  painted by somebody else and I just personalized them to my own taste. It has been really fun to do that but I’m ready to do a couple of projects which are completely mine.  Even with my substandard paint work!

I hope you guys enjoy…

552C29C3-7217-4155-90D4-481DD35AECFF.jpeg

174E08F9-FB7B-4566-AC92-EB519753808D.jpeg

FAEFB540-60A9-46F5-8F60-D28459EE9AB4.jpeg

07B9EB40-E856-46CE-B36F-CF3E55F520F0.jpeg

35CE4F73-DFD5-420F-A169-BC68489618AB.jpeg

0380494D-5A96-4723-9C14-ECFE360FF502.jpeg

• Like 3

I've always liked the 66 & 67 Chevy Nova and as a Pro Street even better.  Turned out really nice with the long tube headers you found.  I still have one of these kits in my stash and this makes me think about getting on mine.  Nice job.

Thank you Bob and thank you for your service to our country!

8 hours ago, Zippi said:

I've always liked the 66 & 67 Chevy Nova and as a Pro Street even better.  Turned out really nice with the long tube headers you found.  I still have one of these kits in my stash and this makes me think about getting on mine.  Nice job.