Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using ca glue to bond painted pieces

I know you’re supposed to scrape painted surfaces before gluing them, but what about when you are unable to scrape a part before attaching it. I have been using ca glue to attach painted pieces. Haven’t had a big problem so far, but just read an article that said never use super glue to attach painted pieces without scraping the paint from mating surfaces first. 

What are others doing?

I've not had any problems using ca glue on painted pieces, and I don't bother to scrape the paint off unless it's to get the parts to fit better. I prefer the thicker, "gap filling" ca glue, partly because it takes slightly longer to set. I can apply it to one part and then fit the parts together. This avoids getting the glue on the surfaces that show. I also use two-part expoxy glue for pieces that may be subject to more than usual stresses. Canopy glue for clear parts, and plain old Elmers for test building.

Bob Smith "Super Gold +" is my go-to CA adhesive. I've never had it fog up on me. There's no need to scrape paint before using CA, but CA glue has no "give" to it. If you bump a mirror that's attached with CA there's a better chance the mirror will go flying, and a very good chance it'll take the top layer of paint with it.

• Like 2