Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvinos, Burt Myers Modified

JET.

6 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Looks real nice. Funny, I've read good and bad reviews here and there. Haven't started mine yet so I will follow your WIP if you happen to have any tips.

Seems pretty good to me, you have the usual clean up etc, definitely take a few minutes to align the nerf bars as mine were a bit warped, I also deepened the holes a bit so I can get a clean attachment in the end with a couple of the  nerf bar ends “pinned “ in place 

the inside of the rims also needed some sanding there was some raised moulding defect bumps in there..

Looks like it is going to be a really nice build.  Was wondering about the engine that comes with this kit.  I have not seen any mention and from the decals I do not see anything.  I saw him and his brother run in the North/South shootout a few years back and both had "Rousch Racing Engines" decals on their cars.

16 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Looks like it is going to be a really nice build.  Was wondering about the engine that comes with this kit.  I have not seen any mention and from the decals I do not see anything.  I saw him and his brother run in the North/South shootout a few years back and both had "Rousch Racing Engines" decals on their cars.

Ricky, the kit engine is sort of a weird mishmash of stuff. The block, heads, valve covers, and headers are small block Chevy-ish. the timing cover and water pump are Ford-ish. Add to that, the distributor goes in either the back or front, depending on which hood you want to use. What's strange is that Burt Myers ran Ford engines prior to 2020, and after 2020 most all teams are running the LS based spec engine.....neither of which the kit engine is accurate. On the ones I'm building, I'm just going to use the kit engine and leave the hood on lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

A great new kit. The last Modified Stock Car kit was about fifty years ago by MPC. The first thing I noticed here was that all the tires are the same size. The two driver-side tires need to be a size smaller. Other than that it looks good. You can also back-date the bodies, going with a 1980's-90's look. A lot to be had here. I'll repost when I get one finished.

17 hours ago, cobrit said:

The first thing I noticed here was that all the tires are the same size. The two driver-side tires need to be a size smaller. 

Maybe at non-sanctioned tracks, I don't know, but Nascar rules dictate same size tires all the way around. 

A great new kit. The last Modified Stock Car kit was about fifty years ago by MPC. The first thing I noticed here was that all the tires are the same size. The two driver-side tires need to be a size smaller. Other than that it looks good. You can also back-date the bodies, going with a 1980's-90's look. A lot to be had here. I'll repost when I get one finished.

On 3/4/2023 at 5:13 AM, roadhawg said:

Maybe at non-sanctioned tracks, I don't know, but Nascar rules dictate same size tires all the way around. 

Left-side ties are always smaller than rights. How else would you get around a corner with a locked (spool) rear end. I have several New England Vintage Modifieds. Not a knock on the kit. It is superb.

RichSeekonk2Resized.jpg

2 minutes ago, cobrit said:

Left-side ties are always smaller than rights. How else would you get around a corner with a locked (spool) rear end. I have several New England Vintage Modifieds. Not a knock on the kit. It is superb.

RichSeekonk2Resized.jpg

We have run the same size tires for years with locked rear ends on our cars. Even the lower classes on DOT tires ran 275 60 15's and a 255 60 15 on the LF. If you measure every 275 60 15 tire, none of them are the same size. And it can take as little as an inch difference to make the cars handling change. And you want be able to tell a 1 inch difference in tire height without a tire tape measure. Yes, they make a specific kind of tape measure for tires. It's very thin and narrow and you measure the tire in the center of it's tread. 

13 hours ago, bbowser said:

Funny, on the stock car side you never hear about "stagger" anymore?  

That's because almost everyone runs radials now. When they ran bias ply it really mattered cause you could change the stagger by going up or down on-air pressure. Now they try to match the batch numbers on the sidewalls so that they have sets that came off the line at the same time. Then they measure them after they are mounted and choose whether they go to the front or rear on that side of the car. Stagger still matters, but it's + or - an inch now. The lefts and rights have had their own compound of rubber for many years now. So, you can't put lefts on the right-side cause they have a softer compound. If you did, they would hook real good, but be worn out and blow after a few laps. They can't take the heat or loading if you put them on the wrong side.

• Like 1