Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT-Revell 1932 Ford Phaeton Mash up

Dan Hay

I finally did it. I've had this idea that I could make an AMT phaeton and a Revell roadster body have a baby, so I could build a Phaeton on a Revell chassis. It wasn't too hard. The build will be a highboy, for reasons explained in the video below. It wasn't a perfect conversion, but it'll work for my purposes. 

More details here

839BA382-E96C-4227-99A9-E5061292DCDF.PNG

• Like 6

Pretty cool, Dan, but why the '29 cowl if you build it as a fenderless  highboy on the revell '32 Chassis? You lost me. Am I incorrectly assuming that roadster body is from the current '29 roadster kit with the optional frames?  I scored one of these tubs a few weeks ago (incomplete) and figured on using the deuce frame from the '29 kit, as a full fendered car. Did I miss something? There may be some very minor tweaking but it looks pretty much like a drop-in. 

8 hours ago, customline said:

Pretty cool, Dan, but why the '29 cowl if you build it as a fenderless  highboy on the revell '32 Chassis? You lost me. Am I incorrectly assuming that roadster body is from the current '29 roadster kit with the optional frames?  I scored one of these tubs a few weeks ago (incomplete) and figured on using the deuce frame from the '29 kit, as a full fendered car. Did I miss something? There may be some very minor tweaking but it looks pretty much like a drop-in. 

It's not a 29 cowl. It's the forward portion from a Revell 32 Ford roadster mated to the back end of an AMT 32 ford phaeton. The AMT 32 Fords (roadster, 5 window, Vicky and Phaeton) all suffer from an inaccurate upsweep at the bottom of the body from the rear door line forward to the cowl. The Revell bodies have the correct contour, so a few enterprising builders have done exactly what Dan is doing to get a more accurate 32 phaeton.

Edited by Mr. Metallic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dan, your conversion work is very nice. I did the same myself for a resin master a few years ago and gave it to a new caster, but I gave up waiting on that one, so I took the opportunity to master an even better one. It's ready to go, hope to have it in a different (and more reputable) casters hands very soon. 

But i will definitely be following along with yours because I just LOVE 32 Fords!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, customline said:

Mr Metallic answered your question.  it’s a 32 cowl and doors from the 32 Roadster kit from Revell.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:56 PM, Can-Con said:

Cool. I did one like that almost 20 years ago. Something wierd went on with the nail polish I painted it with a few months after I finished it though so it's not been seen much.

129 2966

That paint finish, makes it looks like a Barn Find.

Some 1970's Street Rod, dragged out a storage unit or garage, unseen since the 1980's.

I love it!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Thanks fellas! Body is in primer and looks really good. I think the rear portion could be widened to be more accurate, but I decided to live with it. It looks narrow from the back compared to a sedan and pics of Phaetons online.

image.jpg

• Like 4

l love what you are doing! I

I am working on one as well. It is more of a custom as I am using the Phantom Vicky front cowl and duval windshield and making it a 2-door phaeton. I used the top part of the 30 touring and scratch build the lower rear section and made new body line molding aruond the fenders. I plan to run fenders as shown. 

417392604_919372163026521_8927473050984259003_n.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I vote black for the interior. I'm surprised at how many of us are building 32 Phaetons at the moment 

Although red slightly on the brown side would also look good with that blue

Edited by Chris B
  • Like 1

A piece of styrene rod down the middle of the grille makes it resemble a Pines Winterfront. The Pines company made grilles for various makes that had shutters you could open or close depending on the weather. They are rare and expensive if you can find one. The ones for a 32 had a piece of stainless down the middle.

94EAE30F-97E5-48B3-BBA1-B50D9DC740D9.jpeg

Edited by Dan Hay
  • Like 4