Model Cars Magazine Forum

T800 Kenworth Wrecker.

Got my T800 conversion kit from Plaskit today in the mail and it’s a great fit. Had to do a quick mock-up. I will be using the stretched T600 KW I started a year ago but abandoned the project. I have a Peterbilt Can-Do Wrecker kit (new in the box) and a second steering axle coming in the mail. Picture for inspiration and maybe color choice. Fits the theme of trucks I have been building. 
I really don’t need another project, but I can’t help it  6BA0140B-B2BB-4C19-BB77-8A54E33FD075.thumb.jpeg.b3a4d65b16f608314033c00f6843c6cb.jpeg15371351-4D86-4737-8F1B-3A712EB18529.thumb.jpeg.e05d610b1c936e92967658b458a014a9.jpeg488291FA-F49A-4125-A1B3-16B78CCFC81A.jpeg.b8e062335fc697eaef6d4eb14111bd99.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, J.B. Customs said:

Really like where you are going with that 

1 hour ago, Rockford said:

That looks like a beautiful moulding. You're suffering the modeller's curse of too many projects at once. I've always tried to limit myself to one at a time, that's why I've got about six on the go at present. I can only try. 

Thanks guys, actually thought about building it into truck with a crane but I think the wrecker would be better. Got to finish my other project first before I start, few weeks. 

3 hours ago, Gary Chastain said:

Quick mock-up for the T800 wrecker to see if I could use the T600 stretched chassis. Will not be using this sleeper, not sure what sleeper I will use at this point. 8722E074-E939-4202-9FB9-7816AA0FDE74.thumb.jpeg.f16e3122adaa8401d2e461356484ef2e.jpeg Will add a set of tool boxes between the sleeper and the wrecker body similar to the inspiration photo

That’s a beast looks good 

On 2/25/2023 at 2:34 PM, cdntrucking said:

How did your grill fit the hood? Mine is not even close on a T800 2 pce straight windshield conversion kit.

1 hour ago, tractoraholic said:

I'll be watching this one too Gary. I have the same hood, but for the flat windshield Kenworth cab for one of my future builds.

You are correct Lewis, the hood does not fit, can already see some challenges. Justin, I hope your grill fits the hood. 

15 minutes ago, Gary Chastain said:

You are correct Lewis, the hood does not fit, can already see some challenges. Justin, I hope your grill fits the hood. 

This Got me thinking, I just went and checked mine, the grill does not fit, going to have to work with styrene to fill the gap, or I might modify the grill from the w900 to see if that fits tighter.

5 minutes ago, tractoraholic said:

This Got me thinking, I just went and checked mine, the grill does not fit, going to have to work with styrene to fill the gap, or I might modify the grill from the w900 to see if that fits tighter.

I may try to reshape the top angles as the grill is long. Might try that first befor I get to far in this project. Let me know Justin if your idea works, I have a spare w900 grill. 

1 hour ago, Gary Chastain said:

I have a bit different fit on mine but still needs workE5F38EE7-35FA-46F3-9D72-8E34489AAA8F.thumb.jpeg.998c4f69c176b339307dbb674608dfd0.jpeg

Yours definitely looks like it has a little better fit with work. The flat windshield hood, it's not even close, I'll experiment with mine if time permits this week. I guess it's one of the joys of building something unique.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

This looks to be a cool project. Following. I am curious as to why a working tow truck would need a sleeper. Most jobs are... go to the wreck, recover and drag it to the storage yard. Not a whole lot of long-distance, overnight traveling required.

Agree, been on the internet looking at tow trucks. Just my thoughts, but specialized or big lifters travel a distance to remove heavy wreckage or cleanup but most local wrecker trucks don’t have a sleeper.  My inspiration photo has no sleeper which is what I would like to build, so playing with the idea. 

17 hours ago, Gary Chastain said:

Agree, been on the internet looking at tow trucks. Just my thoughts, but specialized or big lifters travel a distance to remove heavy wreckage or cleanup but most local wrecker trucks don’t have a sleeper.  My inspiration photo has no sleeper which is what I would like to build, so playing with the idea. 

Thank you for the info. I think I’m going to go this way. Not my photos or project, just found on one of the groups.

715E56D4-4A39-40AD-B978-0B22F922EAD2.jpeg

81AD33AD-C279-45DC-9411-1E6607384A9D.jpeg

• Like 2