Model Cars Magazine Forum

1984 GMC K15 "High Sierra" Pickup

Hello all, I've been away from the website for quite a while now, and thought I'd jump back in by sharing this quick little build I completed recently. This was a fairly straightforward build, with just a handful of modifications to suit my needs. First, the bed was stretched approximately a scale 6 inches or so, as the length of the bed in the area ahead of the wheel openings appeared to be too short when compared to a real truck. The hidden side panel storage boxes were eliminated by filling in the panel lines, and filling in the passenger side fuel door due to the kit not having duel tanks anyway. Next, the chassis was also lengthened to accommodate the bed. The front bumper in the kit also had to be modified, as it represented the '81-'82 year models that featured integrated turn signals, but were moved to the lower corners of the grille starting in '83. The interior dash pad also needed to be corrected, mainly on the passenger side because the general shape was changed to a more pronounce squared off profile starting in '81. The a/c vent panel and both door panel details were also updated as well. (Anyone familiar with these kits from back in the MPC day's knows the interiors were not upgraded from the original 70's molds, just basically the front fenders, hoods, and grille's were changed to keep kit current to newer year model's). The kits engine was treated to some basic detailing, including a parts box chrome air cleaner, a set of spark plug wires, heater hoses, and fuel line. Lastly, I added the exterior body side, cab, and fender well trim of the "High Sierra" so that I could more accurately duplicate the 1 of 2 factory two-tone paint job styles available at the time. Thanks for stopping and looking at this build, and any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2023-02-23 14.05.09.jpg

2023-02-23 14.08.09.jpg

2023-02-23 14.06.18.jpg

2023-02-23 14.00.56.jpg

2023-02-05 15.04.18.jpg

2023-02-05 15.01.47.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Great build! I love the way you changed the overscaled wheels to look more like modern 20" wheels!

Yes, you are absolutely correct on the wheels, as that was exactly what I was thinking when I seen them. The only way to fix the "look" of the wheels were to indeed modernize them. Thanks!