Model Cars Magazine Forum

Prostatectomy

Mike 1017

My doctor advised me to have this  done. He made it seem that it is no big deal "not to me!" The web sites reflect the same view.                                                                                If anyone has had this surgery, I would appreciate any comments.                                          Mike                                                         

Nope, though something in the general area was discussed at one time.

I'd strongly advise getting multiple medical opinions, 'cause if they mess up an "electrical connection", there's no going back, and some functions can suffer even if everything is done absolutely right.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nope, though something in the general area was discussed at one time.

I'd strongly advise getting multiple medical opinions, 'cause if they mess up an "electrical connection", there's no going back, and some functions can suffer even if everything is done absolutely right.

I have an appointment with another doctor to get a second opinion.

Mike

• Like 3

Had one back in 2009. Have had some side issues but the benefits outweigh the other outcome if I had not had it done. I was offered three options - radiation and chemo, rods or a prostatectomy. The radiation doc said why see me just get it done. This was back in the day before keyhole surgery was common place so I have been left with a decent size scar but the PSA count has been zero since, but so has the sex life - damn - that has been the biggest down side but at least I am a cancer survivor

Thank you for your insight. I have those options also. This procedure is minimal evasive and surgeon uses a robot to perform the surgery. I am 70 my wife is 63 and we have 2 children and a strong marriage. There are many ways to show love other than intercourse.

Thanks 

Mike

I had a partial in 2019. Every situation is different. A 2nd opinion is a very good idea. Left alone mine would have killed me in the end. BUT it is a major operation. Major as in recovery time and changes you go through. Not going to give details here, not the place, but I got sick in May and it took 9 months before I was 'normal' again. Still today some side effects. But I am still here and enjoying life. Good luck, hope whatever you do works for you. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see you have a great family. This helps greatly in recovery, I had this 3 years ago. I would not be here today if it was not done. My recovery took around 6 weeks. It’s incredible that blood work can identify these problems. You will be ok. Do it soon though as time is very important. Please let us know how it went. I feel great so I know you will too. Sincerely Bruce

• Like 1

Had prostate cancer back a few years ago , they caught it just before it got really bad , said I was a 9 out of 10 , on the scale . Looked at the options and had radiation . Luckily , the best radiation Dr in the US was in Jacksonville , Terk Oncology , and did a great job , 51 straight days of radiation treatments . Now , PSA still undetectable , but the side effects of the treatment , 2 years of hormone shots to kill testosterone production , is fatigue , still working on getting my strength back . Check out all the options and think about your particular situation , good luck .