Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Ross Chastain Camaro first cup win car

MarkJ

On March 27, 2022, Ross Chastain won his first cup race at COTA in Austin Texas. He battled with A.J. Allmendinger until dinger knocked him out of the way Then Alex Bowman Knocked him out of the way allowing Ross to take back the lead and win. The build took 94 hours to complete and I added the missing left roof rib cut down the rear spoiler to a 4 inch spoiler and added a wiper blade. i also did a dash and a switch plate on this build.

1rc2.jpg

1rc3.jpg

1rc4.jpg

1rc10.jpg

1rc12.jpg

1rc13.jpg

1rc14.jpg

1rc16.jpg

1rc19.jpg

1rc20.jpg

1rc21.jpg

1rc22.jpg

1rc11.jpg

• Like 4

I love the watermelon man!

Jes... that's a lot of decals, enough to go mad I would think! Well...you're still around so you survived the challenge

Beautiful build of what appears to be a pretty complicated kit. Up to your usual high standards.

What's your verdict on the Future over polished styrene experiment. From the photos it looks good but hard to judge what is decal and what is paint.

Bravo!

21 hours ago, jjsipes said:

Look great. It does look like it would be a bear decaling that one. Love the watermelon! Are you planning on doing the "Hail Melon" car?

Thanks, Jason. No, I don't want to do that one because I would have to destroy the right side of the car and I know nothing about making a model look damaged and make it look real. That takes some real talent that I have no clue how to do.

13 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

I love the watermelon man!

Jes... that's a lot of decals, enough to go mad I would think! Well...you're still around so you survived the challenge

Beautiful build of what appears to be a pretty complicated kit. Up to your usual high standards.

What's your verdict on the Future over polished styrene experiment. From the photos it looks good but hard to judge what is decal and what is paint.

Bravo!

Thanks, Pierre. Don't think I will try that trick again because the microsol leaves a white residue if you don't get it off before it dries. you can use more microsol as a solvent to remove it, but it just adds another step in the finishing process.  I'll be painting with real paint from now on. the microsol does not leave a residue on paint but it bites into the future. Yes, I did come very close to going mad with all those decals. I can see why some guys are making fantasy versions of these cars instead of using the big panel decals. These powerslide decals are very thick and take a lot of microsol to make them conform to curved surfaces like the fenders and nose.

Here is the photo from COTA I used to model the melon. During my research I found out that Ross was 5 foot 9 inches. The melon turned out being 15 inches long. Must be a special tossing melon. A standard Florida watermelon is 20 to 24 inches long when ripe. That is according to google.

22ros47.jpg

Another amazing build Mark ... you do such a beautiful job on these new Nascar builds ... as I said before, I'll leave these builds to you and stick to the "old" Nascar cars that I'm used to ... again, outstanding work sir ... I'm so very impressed !

17 hours ago, Old Coyote said:

Another amazing build Mark ... you do such a beautiful job on these new Nascar builds ... as I said before, I'll leave these builds to you and stick to the "old" Nascar cars that I'm used to ... again, outstanding work sir ... I'm so very impressed !

Thanks, John. That really means so much coming from you, and I really appreciate it. I think you have probably seen the last of my new Nascar builds. I'm heading back to the really old stuff, fifty's, sixty's and seventy's now that Salvino's is resurrecting some seventy's stuff. 

Turned out great, Mark! I followed your build thread. It was quite the journey on this one. I have the Cindric Mustang on my bench now. Doing a throwback scheme with the Elliott 1988 championship car decals and such. Hoping it goes together easier than this one did for you. I have about 1/100th of the experience you do. 

Edited by TerryH

13 hours ago, TerryH said:

Turned out great, Mark! I followed your build thread. It was quite the journey on this one. I have the Cindric Mustang on my bench now. Doing a throwback scheme with the Elliott 1988 championship car decals and such. Hoping it goes together easier than this one did for you. I have about 1/100th of the experience you do. 

Thanks, Terry. Just take your time and don't rush and it should go together okay for you. I watched a video of a guy putting one of these together very quickly and picked up a few mistakes that he would of had to deal with later when he realized he put the part in upside down. That can happen on this build. 

• Like 1