Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘77 Pinto - Pintera WIP

atomicholiday

This is the AMT Coke Pinto Popper kit.  Got it for Christmas from my wife and daughter.  Not my normal subject matter, but I thought it would make a great project for some experimentation.
I’ve never done any major body modifications, and the Pintera parts looked kinda cool, so here we go.  I’ll most likely keep it pretty much out of the box, but I will add plug wires (another first for me).

Here are some shots of the first mock-up.  It’s got a long way to go…  I need to do some more sanding and filling.  Also, the chassis is bowed pretty bad, so it’ll need flattened out.  
The jury is still out on the final color, but I’m leaning towards dark metallic blue with the coke bottle green glass.

If anyone has built this kit and has any tips or issues I need to watch out for, let me know.

4834D7AE-6F06-473B-9337-FEA224463073.jpeg

830273E3-E580-479D-9B6F-25BE4C615B9C.jpeg

0061370A-F0AE-4887-BA27-6AC242A4AD53.jpeg

• Like 3

Just a quick progress update.  I got all of the interior components shot and ready for detail painting.  Body is primed and ready for a light scuff sanding and color coats.  And I painted the engine block Dupli-color Ford engine blue.

Not much more I can do with the body until we get some warm weather.  And that might be a while considering it snowed yesterday.  But I’ll try to get the interior and engine done while I’m waiting.

One other thing to note.  The chassis was badly warped, causing the rear end to sit about 3/8” to 1/2” too high.  I fixed that with some heat from a hairdryer.  Sits much better now.

AF7F4809-46D6-4C02-B89F-C18083C84E36.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Quick status update on this one.  It’s progressing albeit a little slow.  I’m cool with that though.  So far no catastrophic events to make me want to shelve it.

The engine and interior are nearing completion.  Most parts are painted and those two subassemblies are coming along nicely.  I’ll post pics of them when they’re a little closer to done.  I did realize just today that the only engine mount is at the trans, in one place.  I’ll need to rig up something a little sturdier than that.  Doesn’t look like a big deal.

The body work is all done.  I just need some warm weather so I can shoot color outside.  That may be a while yet, considering it snowed yesterday (again…).  Gotta love Indiana weather.

The biggest news of today is the ride height.  I think I have it where I want it now for a 70’s hot rod vibe.  I may drop the rear a little more though.  If you have an opinion on that I’d love to have your input.  Constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcome and appreciated.   Here’s what it looks like right now.  Let me know what you think.

FF0ADE22-F34D-4BF9-A3ED-BF1145F252B4.jpeg

8C0D26A3-7286-46DE-821F-A4AE1523DA46.jpeg

11DA161A-BB39-494D-A879-5096A63E3E1B.jpeg

F6197FD4-3E11-4736-B5C2-BBD156E88B97.jpeg

Back in the 70's it wasn't about "slammin' em in da weedz".  So right now, the ride height looks good for that time period.

I like the slight rake too, it helps with the 70's vibe. 

Of course that's all just one man's opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

David G.

You have done some really nice bodywork. IMHO for a full custom as this one the rear should be a bit lower but leave the front where it is. Maybe have the rocker panel sitting level with the ground.  Again, this is just my opinion, whatever looks good to you is the way to do it

On 3/28/2023 at 6:59 AM, David G. said:

Back in the 70's it wasn't about "slammin' em in da weedz".  So right now, the ride height looks good for that time period.

I like the slight rake too, it helps with the 70's vibe. 

Of course that's all just one man's opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

David G.

That’s my thoughts too David.  I’m leaving it as is for now.  Also, looks easy enough to change if I decide to later.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions!  I value them all, and really appreciate all your input!

Today I finished detailing the dashboard.  Not perfect, but not terrible for a guy with tremors.  I can live with it.  I should have the interior done this weekend if I have enough time.  Of course my wife just informed me that we’re heading to a flea market this weekend.  Heck yeah!  More models hopefully!

841EC430-7A56-42DE-B6A3-C9C0D9E42A2B.jpeg

Been building models off and on for roughly 45 years and this is my first spark plug wiring job!  I need to go back and touch up the distributor but otherwise I’m calling that step done.

If I’m totally honest it was a pain in the (cough).😄  I don’t think I’ll do it on every model, but I’ll add it from time to time when the mood strikes.

I think I’ll have the motor wrapped up this weekend if all goes well.

Thanks for watching!

IMG_2522.jpeg

IMG_2523.jpeg

• Like 1

Good work on the wiring.

Aside from the occasional model railroad and car kit, I started building again around 2010.  For the first few years I wired and plumbed almost all of my builds. But as time went by, I did so less and less. I think that for me, the added time and potential frustration of the additional and largely unnecessary work was detracting from the pleasure of the hobby.

Without pleasure a hobby becomes just a job that you don't get paid for.

David G.

• Like 1

Completely agree with you.  While I have total respect and admiration for the people who load their models with detail, I don’t think it’s for me.  I go more for the “old school” building style, straight out of the box.  

Heck, I don’t even kit-bash any more!   Been too many times when I’ve robbed parts from a kit, only to decide later that I’d like to build it.  

All that being said, I do like to push my abilities and try new things on just about every build.

This one is no exception.

The weather finally got warm enough to paint outside so I took advantage after work today.    The color is Testors Extreme Lacquer Star Spangled Blue from the rattle can.  It laid down pretty good, just a small amount of orange peel in a few spots.  My fault.  I got a little impatient with it, since I’ve been waiting a few months to shoot it.

Not sure if I want to clear coat it or just hit it with some light polishing compound.  Thoughts on that?

IMG_2533.jpeg

It's a good color choice Jeremy.

For the paint itself, what I usually do is after allowing it a couple of days to cure, I do a little color-sanding to smooth out any orange peel. Buff it down with a soft, dry cotton cloth, wash with a little dish soap under warm running water and give it a second coat if needed. Usually it is.

Hope that helps,

David G.

This one is going in the paint stripper.  Ever have one of those days when everything you touch turns to trash?  That’s my weekend so far.  Hate to lose all that body putty, but I’d never be happy with it as is.

Same story you’ve all heard dozens of times.  I wasn’t totally happy with the orange peel I got the first time around, so I sanded it smooth, watched a bunch of videos on how to get smooth finishes, and hit it with three light coats yesterday.  The result was worse than before.  In my infinite wisdom I decided to try again with another project I’ve been working on in between sessions with the Pinto.  Screwed that one up too.  So now I have two bodies to strip.

Needless to say I’m a bit frustrated at this point.  However I do think I know where I went wrong.  Rewatching a few of the videos, I paid attention to how far away they held the can and how fast the passes were.  Pretty sure I was holding the can a little too far away from the body.

So in a last desperate attempt at some level of success I tried again this morning on a third body.  I’m a glutton for punishment.  However, this attempt went much better!  I did get a couple of small runs, but overall it’s the smoothest finish I’ve ever laid down.  Pretty sure I will be able to wet sand the runs down with little trouble.

I haven’t started a WIP for this one (don’t know if I will or not) but I’ll post this here since it’s a part of my learning process for the Pintera.  70 1/2 Camaro.  Told you I was a glutton for punishment!

I’m thinking of getting some spoons and just going for it until I get consistent good results. 
Sorry this one is long winded.  Just needed to vent some frustration.  Thanks for listening and following me on this journey.

IMG_2536.jpeg