Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ebbro Renault 4 GTL

Andrew McD

I recently finished the Renault 4GTL by Ebbro.  My first Ebbro kit and I quite enjoyed it.  Everything is reasonably well engineered without much in the way of flash.  They do have an unusual approach to the side glass as it is part of the interior door cards and must be masked off for painting.  I used BMF for the masking and could have done a better job.  I made a total mess of the windshield glass.  While attempting to outline the windshield glass frame with a black enamel paint marker I smeared paint on the windshield.  While trying various methods to remove the paint I made a horrible mess of the windshield that ultimately I had to sand and polish to make it useable at all.  Apart from the glass mishaps  I very much enjoyed the build.  I wired the engine and added an ignition coil; most of which is difficult to see as the hood opening is limited by the front bumper!  Paint is Tamiya TS-60 Pearl Green.  Interior carpet is black embossing powder and the seats are decals included with the kit.

Renault1-4866.jpg

Renault2-4867.jpg

Renault3-4868.jpg

Renault4-4872.jpg

Renault6-4877.jpg

Renault9-2524.jpg

Renault10-2604.jpg

• Like 6

Nicely done.

I have the Heller R4 kit and there's something similar with the glass on that one - could be said that the slightly unusual way of it going together matches the real thing! I used to get a lift to work in what was then a fairly new GTL and the skinny, exposed tubular metalwork amused me.

On 3/15/2023 at 4:10 PM, bbowser said:

Very nice!  The glass work is similar to many Heller kits, kind of odd but fairly easy to accommodate.  First one of these I've seen built, looks good.

Thanks Bruce.  I enjoyed this unique subject.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:56 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

Nicely done.

I have the Heller R4 kit and there's something similar with the glass on that one - could be said that the slightly unusual way of it going together matches the real thing! I used to get a lift to work in what was then a fairly new GTL and the skinny, exposed tubular metalwork amused me.

Worse car I ever owned was a Renault LeCar, the next gen after the R4.  I recall it was amusing to drive but a real maintenance headache.  Thanks for the nice comment.

On 3/15/2023 at 7:43 PM, happy grumpy said:

Great looking Renault. Nice color choice. Wish the DS19 was still available.

I based the color on an R4 on a Youtube video.  Not an exact match as they weren't painted a pearl but close enough that I thought it looked good.  Thanks for your comment.

18 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

Great build of an iconic French car. I actually just built the Ebbro DS21 in this same color! Do the doors open on this kit or are they just separate pieces?

IMG_0515.thumb.JPG.102eabe92271324e7b8c321e6497327d.JPG

There is the option of installing the doors in an open position but it's a matter of either open or closed and I chose closed.

• 5 months later...