Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya primer and TS13 for Splash Paints?

I just ordered several colors from Splash Paints and am looking forward to trying them out as I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm starting the 1/12 Tamiya Caterham soon and decided on the Bentley Racing metallic green for the non-aluminum bits since Tamiya can't be bothered to produce a nice metallic dark green. I don't mess with 2k clears, though, and I'm hoping that someone with experience here can tell me if Tamiya TS13 would work over the Splash paints. Also, has anybody used Splash over Tamiya primers? Obviously some spoon tests are in my future, but I was hoping for any insight that someone who's used the Splash paints before might be able to provide.

Jason, I have shot Splash over Tamiya Fine White Primer with no issues. I shot TS-13 Clear over Splash.  You can look up my Foose Ford pickup here if you want to see the results.  I will say that I shot the Splash on with many light coats and at least 10 minutes between them.  Towards the end, I started getting lazy/impatient and I started laying on heavier and it did, ever so slightly, start to craze.  I immediately stopped spraying, let it cure, and sanded out the area that started to craze.  I went back over it with light coats and it was fine.  Again, you can look at my Foose Ford to see how it turned out.

EDIT!!!  I actually just looked at my build thread.  I tested colors by shooting Tamiya primer on SPOONS.  I had no problems.  The spoons are shown in the build thread.  The actual Foose pickup was primed in Gravity primer.  I’m sorry for any confusion that I may have caused.

Edited by Nacho Z
Added corrected info.

I always use Tamiya and Mr Hobby spray can primers under Splash paints.

You have to mist on the first few coats of Splash paint. If you lay that first coat on too thick, it can "burn" into the primer and the model. But this is fine because Splash paints work great when you mist them on anyways. They dry to a semi-gloss finish and require a clearcoat.

If you want a spraycan clear, I can't say enough good things about Mr Hobby Super Gloss Ultra UV clear.  I have an airbrush and I still use that spraycan clear on nearly all my models. Mist on 3 coats, 5 minutes between coats. Then wait about 30 minutes and spray on 1 or 2 wet coats. Works every time.

But if you are buying from Splash, their 2k clear is amazing as well. Mist on a few coats, then spray on a wet coat or two. Sometimes it lays down so smooth that you don't even need to polish it.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:56 PM, jaymcminn said:

I just ordered several colors from Splash Paints and am looking forward to trying them out as I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm starting the 1/12 Tamiya Caterham soon and decided on the Bentley Racing metallic green for the non-aluminum bits since Tamiya can't be bothered to produce a nice metallic dark green. I don't mess with 2k clears, though, and I'm hoping that someone with experience here can tell me if Tamiya TS13 would work over the Splash paints. Also, has anybody used Splash over Tamiya primers? Obviously some spoon tests are in my future, but I was hoping for any insight that someone who's used the Splash paints before might be able to provide.

Just curious why you don't want to use the splash primer. Understand about the 2k but do they do a non 2k clear.

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Just curious why you don't want to use the splash primer. Understand about the 2k but do they do a non 2k clear.

Partly because I didn't think to order it when I ordered my paint, but also because I'm comfortable with the Tamiya primer. I tend to stick to stuff that I know will work for me whenever I can.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 10:56 AM, Ben Brown said:

If you don’t want to hassle with decanting TS-13, Tamiya’s LP clears thinned with Mr Leveling Thinner are great and will work fine over Splash Paints. I thin mine with about 1/3 thinner, since it isn’t as thick as Mr Color clears.

Ben

Update for all... Spoon test with Splash Bentley Racing Green pearl over Tamiya grey primer with Ben's suggested clear mix. Absolutely fantastic. The Splash paint went down beautifully over the primer and the clear really does bring it to life. The self-leveling thinner is great, the extra drying time eliminates orange peel and lets the passes blend together perfectly!

PXL_20230328_152724218.jpg

• Like 1