Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cortina GT 4 door 1963 Bathurst winner

Hi everybody,

It's time for something that doesn't pop up on too many forums, a Cortina GT 4 door. This started out as the Lotus Cortina resin kit from the Motor Museum in Miniature in the UK. It's a fairly good kit but as always I just have to do it my way. One thing that I originally needed to do was to scratchbuild the interior to GT spec as the GT Cortina interior was totally different from the Lotus, and although I did start to do that in 2020 it got too daunting so I put the model on the back burner. At the start of last year I taught myself 3d drawing with the aim to eventually get a 3D printer and in August I did just that and got a Photon mono 4k. It's a good unit and it was a fun challenge to turn my drawings into printed parts.

As this build progressed I realized that I needed to print more than just the interiors and I drew and printed more and more parts as time went on. The parts that I printed were;

Interior door panels, dashboard, seats, arm rests, window cranks, interior door handles, steering wheel, gear stick, floor mat, exterior door handles, exterior mirror, grille, tail light surrounds, leaf springs, control arms, bumpers, rear brake drums and the tach gauge.

This is the car that Harry Firth and Bob Jane won the Bathurst 500 mile race in 1963 with. I converted the 2 door body to 4 doors and added the side trim from evergreen strips. The wheels and tyres are from Tamiya's Lotus 7 kit. I used embossing powder for the carpet and the paint is Tamiya TS-86 pure red and TS-26 white with Tamiya bright red used for the seats and door panel inserts. The decals are from Custom Hobby Decals from my own artwork.

LryQFn.jpg
VfYIHm.jpg
ykcSlC.jpg
KVPete.jpg
vtOPnL.jpg
hn9Vxk.jpg
dkyzcc.jpg
kB4200.jpg
lMj13C.jpg
VDfAGc.jpg
DSjAjN.jpg

I kept the underside nice and neat without any plumbing. The diff is from Tamiya's Lotus 7 kit and the exhaust, tank and front uprights are the only unmodified kit parts in this pic.

It was a mostly fun but occasionally frustrating build but definitely a rewarding end result.
This is part 1 of a two car build, the other is a '64 2door GT so keep an eye out on the forum for that too.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers
ShawnS

Here is part 2

chP5iV.jpg

Edited by ShawnS
  • Like 2

Another cool and very interesting Cortina build. Nice attention to details. The printed parts look great, and the body side trim is very well done, too. I love both of your Cortina builds. It's great to see these off-the-beaten-path racers. Lovely work all around.