Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need some help with Molotov VS Revell Chrome

I have a special project I need to do chrome bumpers. I mave used the Molotov refille through my air brush with good results.

But I tried it yesterday (it is several years old) and it didn't turn to chrome.

1. Is there a self life on the Molotov?

2. What is the durablity of the Revell chrome?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

When I've had the Moltov come out silver, it's been a case of settling of the pigments.  I've poured out the contents of the Moltov tube into a bottle, then used a paint brush to clean out the rest of the pigment from the tube and add it to the bottle as well.  Then I THOROUGHLY mix it, and the put it back into the tube, and it was once again shiny.  I used some the other day that I bought 3 years ago, at least, and it was fine.

Just my experience.

A.J.

48 minutes ago, maxwell48098 said:

When I've had the Moltov come out silver, it's been a case of settling of the pigments.  I've poured out the contents of the Moltov tube into a bottle, then used a paint brush to clean out the rest of the pigment from the tube and add it to the bottle as well.  Then I THOROUGHLY mix it, and the put it back into the tube, and it was once again shiny.  I used some the other day that I bought 3 years ago, at least, and it was fine.

Just my experience.

A.J.

Thanks AJ. Ithought I mixed it thorughly yesterday by shaking it. It did have chrome floating on the top painr on my airbrush.

One of the many reasons why I quit using it.

Way more hassle than it's worth.

While Alclad chrome requires the extra step of a shiny black, (or other dark color) base, I find it to be a better alternative, (for air brushing) than Molotow.

Alclad is actually a lacquer paint, not an ink, so I also find it to be more durable than Molotow.

You still don't want to handle it a lot, but it's much more forgiving than Molotow, and it dries MUCH faster.

Apparently a lot easier to use as well, as it doesn't require any unusual remixing practices, etc.

Just shake up the bottle, dump it in your cup, and spray, just like you would any other ready to spray, pre-mixed air brush paint.

I haven't taken the time to really research this fact as I don't know how many ounces there are in a Molotow pen, but I assume that Alclad is more economical as well.

$10.00 or $12.00 for a Molotow pen versus $8.00 or $9.00 for a 1 oz bottle of Alclad makes me think that's the case, and looking at larger amounts makes it very evident.

A 30ml, (1 oz) refill of Molotow runs around $32.00, while a 4 oz. bottle of Alclad chrome will run around $35.00.......not even close!

Steve

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

One of the many reasons why I quit using it.

Way more hassle than it's worth.

While Alclad chrome requires the extra step of a shiny black, (or other dark color) base, I find it to be a better alternative, (for air brushing) than Molotow.

Alclad is actually a lacquer paint, not an ink, so I also find it to be more durable than Molotow.

You still don't want to handle it a lot, but it's much more forgiving than Molotow, and it dries MUCH faster.

Apparently a lot easier to use as well, as it doesn't require any unusual remixing practices, etc.

Just shake up the bottle, dump it in your cup, and spray, just like you would any other ready to spray, pre-mixed air brush paint.

I haven't taken the time to really research this fact as I don't know how many ounces there are in a Molotow pen, but I assume that Alclad is more economical as well.

$10.00 or $12.00 for a Molotow pen versus $8.00 or $9.00 for a 1 oz bottle of Alclad makes me think that's the case, and looking at larger amounts makes it very evident.

A 30ml, (1 oz) refill of Molotow runs around $32.00, while a 4 oz. bottle of Alclad chrome will run around $35.00.......not even close!

Steve

Thanks Steve. I have used Alclad Chrome & Spaz Stic Chrome with good results. But they don't stand up to handling. I have also had good results with Molotov and a water based clear on it.

I agree the econmics are not good for Molotov but I do like itand would pic it ove the other 2.

2 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

Thanks Steve. I have used Alclad Chrome & Spaz Stic Chrome with good results. But they don't stand up to handling. I have also had good results with Molotov and a water based clear on it.

I agree the econmics are not good for Molotov but I do like itand would pic it ove the other 2.

I'm sorry Len, but you'll never convince me that Molotow stands up to handling better than Alclad.

The fragility of Molotow is widely known and has been a major bone of contention pretty much since day one.

I've used both as well, and without some sort of protective coat over Molotow, you should basically never touch it again.

But, if you're getting a clear over Molotow and it still looks like chrome, more power to you.

Not trying to bust your chops or anything Len, but Molotow has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I like to bring alternatives up to people if they're not aware of them.

Carry on. ;)

Steve

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'm sorry Len, but you'll never convince me that Molotow stands up to handling better than Alclad.

The fragility of Molotow is widely known and has been a major bone of contention pretty much since day one.

I've used both as well, and without some sort of protective coat over Molotow, you should basically never touch it again.

But, if you're getting a clear over Molotow and it still looks like chrome, more power to you.

Not trying to bust your chops or anything Len, but Molotow has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I like to bring alternatives up to people if they're not aware of them.

Carry on. ;)

Steve

I appreciate your position Steve. Thanks for the feedback.

I have been experimenting with all sorts of different chrome paints lately. I have not been happy with Molotov, Rust-O-Leum chrome spray can is a nice bright chrome, but flakes off.

My favorite chrome paint right now is two different products.

Green Stuff World brush on (not airbrush) Chrome, is great for small bits and pieces. You brush it on nice and heavy and it is a bright chrome. But you can't touch it at all, it will dull.

The other product I really like is SMS Hyperchrome. It is a chrome paint you apply with an airbrush.  They claim you can get a great chrome effect when you apply it over any color as long as you apply it onto something with a high gloss surface. I have only applied it over gloss black paint so far, and it works great.

All the chrome parts on this engine are painted with SMS Hyperchrome.

rimHVji.jpg

• Like 2

I have had molotow chrome turn into silver after only 1 year in storage at ambient temp, and it never turned chrome again no matter how hard or long I shook and stirred the bottle. The same happened with a bottle of Alclad Chrome (after at least 5 years, though).

I assume all these chrome paints / inks use similar pigments, which eventually settle or degrade, and it seems they cannot be rejuvenated.

So far here are the chrome paints I have tested:

-Alclad: Dark chrome, not too shiny (good for scale models). Shelf life is 1-5 years

-AK Super Chrome: Very reflective, but can dry to a dull finish sometimes. Shelf life: bottle content still good after 1 year.

-Green Stuff (brush & airbrush types): Very reflective, easy to apply, consistent results. Shelf life: bottle content still good after 1 year.

-Molotow: Very reflective , can dry to a dull finish sometimes. Shelf life is 1-5 year (my refill bottle is 3 years old and is still good, but my 1mm pen turned silver after 2 years)

Just my experience.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mustang fan said:

I have had molotow chrome turn into silver after only 1 year in storage at ambient temp, and it never turned chrome again no matter how hard or long I shook and stirred the bottle. The same happened with a bottle of Alclad Chrome (after at least 5 years, though).

I assume all these chrome paints / inks use similar pigments, which eventually settle or degrade, and it seems they cannot be rejuvenated.

So far here are the chrome paints I have tested:

-Alclad: Dark chrome, not too shiny (good for scale models). Shelf life is 1-5 years

-AK Super Chrome: Very reflective, but can dry to a dull finish sometimes. Shelf life: bottle content still good after 1 year.

-Green Stuff (brush & airbrush types): Very reflective, easy to apply, consistent results. Shelf life: bottle content still good after 1 year.

-Molotow: Very reflective , can dry to a dull finish sometimes. Shelf life is 1-5 year (my refill bottle is 3 years old and is still good, but my 1mm pen turned silver after 2 years)

Just my experience.

Thanks for sharing your results. ery Helpful to me.

Interesting update. I checked a Model I used Alclad Chrome on in 2005. It still shows bright chrome and does not come off when I run a cotton swab over it.

Another model I did in 2015 using Spaz Stix Ultra Chrome 1000. Still bright chrome. Does not come off when I rub a cotton swab over it.

Does that mean that the longer the cure time the more durable it all of these paints become?

My Molotov experiance has Spaz Stix Ultimate Clear Coat 1000 and it did dull the finish some. I did hear the longer it cures the mre durable it gets.

4 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

Interesting update. I checked a Model I used Alclad Chrome on in 2005. It still shows bright chrome and does not come off when I run a cotton swab over it.

Another model I did in 2015 using Spaz Stix Ultra Chrome 1000. Still bright chrome. Does not come off when I rub a cotton swab over it.

Does that mean that the longer the cure time the more durable it all of these paints become?

My Molotov experiance has Spaz Stix Ultimate Clear Coat 1000 and it did dull the finish some. I did hear the longer it cures the mre durable it gets.

I can vouch for Alclad and spaz stix being durable and i bake everything i paint.  Molotov is a ink and after you apply airbrush or not if you touch it you'll lose the effect bout like AK's super chrome they've came out with.  They don't need a black base as they can go over anything, but i still prefer Alclad, and, spaz stix, and even Kustom service chrome all give fantastic results if you spray them properly, and handle well if cured properly.  The AK super chrome i basically just use for detail work as it's the same as molotov if not better, and both work great too using a detail brush. Molotov is best known for graffiti, and is over priced for what it is for this hobby. 

32 minutes ago, Dpate said:

I can vouch for Alclad and spaz stix being durable and i bake everything i paint.  Molotov is a ink and after you apply airbrush or not if you touch it you'll lose the effect bout like AK's super chrome they've came out with.  They don't need a black base as they can go over anything, but i still prefer Alclad, and, spaz stix, and even Kustom service chrome all give fantastic results if you spray them properly, and handle well if cured properly.  The AK super chrome i basically just use for detail work as it's the same as molotov if not better, and both work great too using a detail brush. Molotov is best known for graffiti, and is over priced for what it is for this hobby. 

Good nfo Dusty. I say a video and they were shooting the AK Chrome but at the end did a comparision. He likes the new Green Stuff World best.

I just ordered some from a shop in Michigan. Hope to have it soon.

41 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

C1 Polishing Powder buffed onto Gloss Black does it for me.

I like it because not only does it give a very nice polished chrome finish, but also it is very resistant to handling unlike the airbrush spray on chromes that need to be sealed and Molotow.

Seems to currently be out of stock everywhere. I would like to try it.

On 3/31/2023 at 3:30 PM, Len Woodruff said:

Good nfo Dusty. I say a video and they were shooting the AK Chrome but at the end did a comparision. He likes the new Green Stuff World best.

I just ordered some from a shop in Michigan. Hope to have it soon.

Yeah green stuff world is good too, but chasing chrome will have you spend alot of money for only a tiny difference.  Green stuff world, Alclad, spaz stix all three in proper color matched lighting are all very very similar.  Might be a slight slight shade difference between the 3, but that's with good eyes too, and would still be hard to say which was which to the untrained eye. I own GSW but rarely use it, and my 3 go too chromes are Alclad, Spaz Stix, and Kustom service.  I don't even debate about which one I'm gonna use that much because the difference is very negligible, but all 4 are great chromes to spray.  

14 hours ago, Dpate said:

Yeah green stuff world is good too, but chasing chrome will have you spend alot of money for only a tiny difference.  Green stuff world, Alclad, spaz stix all three in proper color matched lighting are all very very similar.  Might be a slight slight shade difference between the 3, but that's with good eyes too, and would still be hard to say which was which to the untrained eye. I own GSW but rarely use it, and my 3 go too chromes are Alclad, Spaz Stix, and Kustom service.  I don't even debate about which one I'm gonna use that much because the difference is very negligible, but all 4 are great chromes to spray.  

Thanks for your input Dusty. If I would have had the bumpers ready in time I would have had them chromed at Little Motor Car Co.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:40 AM, Len Woodruff said:

I have a special project I need to do chrome bumpers. I mave used the Molotov refille through my air brush with good results.

But I tried it yesterday (it is several years old) and it didn't turn to chrome.

1. Is there a self life on the Molotov?

2. What is the durablity of the Revell chrome?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Hi Len,

Molotow definitely has a shelf life, but I'm not a huge fan of it for big chrome areas. It looks a little aluminum to me, and handles terrible. I love the pen for little touch ups on dash buttons and things like that, though. But I haven't found anything yet that beats Alclad. I know people say it doesn't handle well, and always want to clear it, but I just don't touch it. Sometimes it's inevitable while you're building, but I have been able to touch up those areas with my airbrush and you would never know it happened, because you can touch it up with such a fine paint flow that you can't even see it coming out.

I haven't tried Revell, but while it's shiny, every sample I've seen looks like it picks up every bit of dust in the room, and looks too thick. Also, I can't justify the cost. Looks like a lot of waste out of the can, but maybe it can be decanted.

I do have both some SPS and DSPIAE chrome I'm going to try someday. Maybe that will be better...

Hope whatever you try works out for you!

Art

46 minutes ago, Art Laski said:

Hi Len,

Molotow definitely has a shelf life, but I'm not a huge fan of it for big chrome areas. It looks a little aluminum to me, and handles terrible. I love the pen for little touch ups on dash buttons and things like that, though. But I haven't found anything yet that beats Alclad. I know people say it doesn't handle well, and always want to clear it, but I just don't touch it. Sometimes it's inevitable while you're building, but I have been able to touch up those areas with my airbrush and you would never know it happened, because you can touch it up with such a fine paint flow that you can't even see it coming out.

I haven't tried Revell, but while it's shiny, every sample I've seen looks like it picks up every bit of dust in the room, and looks too thick. Also, I can't justify the cost. Looks like a lot of waste out of the can, but maybe it can be decanted.

I do have both some SPS and DSPIAE chrome I'm going to try someday. Maybe that will be better...

Art

Thanks for the input Art.

13 hours ago, Art Laski said:

Hi Len,

Art

I think you will be happy with SMS Hyperchrome.

I have tried all sorts of chromes, trying to find one that shines bright AND can actually be touched. SMS has fit the bill the best so far for me. Take a look at the engine pic I posted above.

2 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

I think you will be happy with SMS Hyperchrome.

I have tried all sorts of chromes, trying to find one that shines bright AND can actually be touched. SMS has fit the bill the best so far for me. Take a look at the engine pic I posted above.

Thanks for the info. Do you have a US source that has it in stock?

Edited by Len Woodruff