Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need some help with Molotov VS Revell Chrome

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've been resisting making that leap as I use these "spray on" chrome finishes as little as possible. (some I avoid completely)

But with the ever increasing possibility that there will be no more prospects for actual plating in the future, something like Alsa is an option that might be the only answer if you want something durable that actually looks like chrome.

I keep hoping that either there will be others to pick up the plating torch for us modelers, or some sort of advancement in systems that allow the modeler to do his own chrome at home affordably so that we can stop settling for these inadequate substitutions.

Steve 

They have a hobby kit that can be used in airbrush it's $199. But i think Alclad & Spazstix & few others give amazing results if sprayed right for less money. But to get the best out of any chrome it would go like this: " Black +2k clear+chrome" But using gloss black base works good enough for the shine that's why we all use gloss black base.  I LOVE alclad's black base & AK's black base stuff is like magic to me lol.

46 minutes ago, Raoul Ross said:

Yeah I've seen that reviewed, and it's a meh.

Edited by Dpate

2 hours ago, Dpate said:

They have a hobby kit that can be used in airbrush it's $199. But i think Alclad & Spazstix & few others give amazing results if sprayed right for less money. But to get the best out of any chrome it would go like this: " Black +2k clear+chrome" But using gloss black base works good enough for the shine that's why we all use gloss black base.  I LOVE alclad's black base & AK's black base stuff is like magic to me lol.

The problem is not so much the finish, but the durability.

I agree that some of these paints produce acceptable chrome like finishes if applied correctly. (personally, I use any black paint, followed by Testors gloss enamel, and then Alclad) but the problem is how fragile the majority of them are afterwards.

My ultimate goal is a chrome finish that can be treated exactly like kit chrome for detailing and can be handled as such.

If I'm ever going to use a chrome paint for grilles, bumpers, etc, it has to be able to accept washes, be polished, etc, just like chrome parts, or I'm not interested.

I detailed this hubcap today with an acrylic wash, followed by wiping the excess paint away with swabs and some scraping in select areas with tooth picks.

You do that with Molotow or Alclad and you've got a mess.

spacer.png

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The problem is not so much the finish, but the durability.

I agree that some of these paints produce acceptable chrome like finishes if applied correctly. (personally, I use any black paint, followed by Testors gloss enamel, and then Alclad) but the problem is how fragile the majority of them are afterwards.

My ultimate goal is a chrome finish that can be treated exactly like kit chrome for detailing and can be handled as such.

If I'm ever going to use a chrome paint for grilles, bumpers, etc, it has to be able to accept washes, be polished, etc, just like chrome parts, or I'm not interested.

I detailed this hubcap today with an acrylic wash, followed by wiping the excess paint away with swabs and some scraping in select areas with tooth picks.

You do that with Molotow or Alclad and you've got a mess.

spacer.png

Steve

True.  But your pic the kit chrome is acceptable when you give it a good wash like that (Doesn't look like a toy).  Lot of kit chrome is actually very good, and just need a dullcoat on it like testors.  Dunno if there would ever be a sprayable chrome paint that'll allow us to do what you can with kit chrome.  Unless you can do that with the Alsa stuff than it's not worth $200 in my opinion.  If it was only the right rim in the pic shown i would be fooled in thinking that was redone, and black washed. Be cool if the guy that's been using the alsa stuff as long as he has could do some testing with washes etc, and give us some results to see if it would be worth the money or not if it's that's durable.  

Edited by Dpate

It's an enamel solvent-based knock-off of Easy Chrome. Unlike Mirror, which requires at least 24 hours to dry (solvent evaporation) before handling, Easy Chrome is lacquer-based, dries hard and is safe to handle in 15-20 minutes. Mirror is ridiculously expensive, 40 bucks for 15ml (about 1/2 ounce). a 6oz. bottle of Easy Chrome costs $170. An equivalent amount of Mirror will cause $480 worth of damage to your credit card for a product which is inferior in quality to Easy Chrome.

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

True.  But your pic the kit chrome is acceptable when you give it a good wash like that (Doesn't look like a toy).  Lot of kit chrome is actually very good, and just need a dullcoat on it like testors.  Dunno if there would ever be a sprayable chrome paint that'll allow us to do what you can with kit chrome.  Unless you can do that with the Alsa stuff than it's not worth $200 in my opinion.  If it was only the right rim in the pic shown i would be fooled in thinking that was redone, and black washed. Be cool if the guy that's been using the alsa stuff as long as he has could do some testing with washes etc, and give us some results to see if it would be worth the money or not if it's that's durable.  

I use mixtures of Vallejo Model Color acrylics to create rust, weathering and stain effects over Alclad and Easy Chrome. There's no steep learning curve in learning how to do it. This is a 1/35 resin Detroit Diesel 8V-92TA 12.06-liter diesel engine by Real Model for the Hobbyboss M1070 HET tractor:

IMG_3930_b.jpg.ccb3ace61b91a8eaafb092242be75ee5.jpg

IMG_3931_a.jpg.4ad33192882f4d28fc2f7951f9df00d1.jpg

IMG_3932_a.jpg.499c6dae676a089e25260ea380a5a099.jpg

IMG_3933_a.jpg.877a1860349f8f73d489eb2a845f1bcc.jpg

Easy Chrome is airbrush-applied and imparts a real chrome finish. First pic is an SMP/AMT '61 Imperial grille finished w/Easy Chrome:

IMG_4789_c_1.jpg.57188da5ea2065f4bcb5f15f2445173e.jpg

This is a Johan '60 Desoto grille:

IMG_4671mod.jpg.69e9617ae5496fd7bc825cf58e7ee152.jpg

I defy you to say that the finish is not equal to, or, better, than kit chrome. :)

Unless you can do that with the Alsa stuff than it's not worth $200 in my opinion.

The last two pics show you can do that. Additionally, it can be brushed on small details. As far as being worth the money, it certainly and most definitely is. As I previously commented, 

Mirror is ridiculously expensive, 40 bucks for 15ml (about 1/2 ounce). a 6oz. bottle of Easy Chrome costs $170 (not $200). An equivalent amount of Mirror will cause $480 worth of damage to your credit card for a product which is inferior in quality to Easy Chrome.

Edited by SfanGoch

I have one of these Inline Tube chrome touch up pens Chrome Dash Bezel Trim Paint Pen 1pc – Inline Tube which @Snake45recommended - suggested - as an alternative to Molotow, eta.

I 'pump' the pen/activator into a plastic paint tray (dollar store ; for water colours ) and then brush it on the surface. I haven't used it directly-over bare plastic, so I can't attest to any potential reaction (crazing, etc.) . Unfortunately, I don't have any examples to exhibit (I've used the 'chrome' and the process on kits which I've given away as gifts, etc.).

It seems like it's enamel based (I clean the brushes with paint thinner) and it holds up to handling (no wear nor fingerprints). If I had an airbrush, I'd entertain attempts at painting larger parts (bumpers, etc.).

Has anyone else used this pen ?

6 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I have one of these Inline Tube chrome touch up pens Chrome Dash Bezel Trim Paint Pen 1pc – Inline Tube which @Snake45recommended - suggested - as an alternative to Molotow, eta.

I 'pump' the pen/activator into a plastic paint tray (dollar store ; for water colours ) and then brush it on the surface. I haven't used it directly-over bare plastic, so I can't attest to any potential reaction (crazing, etc.) . Unfortunately, I don't have any examples to exhibit (I've used the 'chrome' and the process on kits which I've given away as gifts, etc.).

It seems like it's enamel based (I clean the brushes with paint thinner) and it holds up to handling (no wear nor fingerprints). If I had an airbrush, I'd entertain attempts at painting larger parts (bumpers, etc.).

Has anyone else used this pen ?

Interesting. I could have used it on my 78 Vette center console that has a chrome trim around the side.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I use mixtures of Vallejo Model Color acrylics to create rust, weathering and stain effects over Alclad and Easy Chrome. There's no steep learning curve in learning how to do it. This is a 1/35 resin Detroit Diesel 8V-92TA 12.06-liter diesel engine by Real Model for the Hobbyboss M1070 HET tractor:

IMG_3930_b.jpg.ccb3ace61b91a8eaafb092242be75ee5.jpg

IMG_3931_a.jpg.4ad33192882f4d28fc2f7951f9df00d1.jpg

IMG_3932_a.jpg.499c6dae676a089e25260ea380a5a099.jpg

IMG_3933_a.jpg.877a1860349f8f73d489eb2a845f1bcc.jpg

Easy Chrome is airbrush-applied and imparts a real chrome finish. First pic is an SMP/AMT '61 Imperial grille finished w/Easy Chrome:

IMG_4789_c_1.jpg.57188da5ea2065f4bcb5f15f2445173e.jpg

This is a Johan '60 Desoto grille:

IMG_4671mod.jpg.69e9617ae5496fd7bc825cf58e7ee152.jpg

I defy you to say that the finish is not equal to, or, better, than kit chrome. :)

The last two pics show you can do that. Additionally, it can be brushed on small details. As far as being worth the money, it certainly and most definitely is. As I previously commented, 

Doesn't look bad at all.  I guess it's worth the $160 for the 6oz can if it's that durable as you say.  I was saying $200 before because of the hobby kit.  The video i seen on there site the guy just sprayed in on the black lightly, and threw heat on it, and the chrome just turned into a mirror.  I still think spazstix is close to it though the airbrush version.  I might get some of this alsa chrome though after watching more videos on it just because how durable it is.  Guy used tar and wax remover chemical on a test helmet, and it didn't touch the chrome at all....Now that's good stuff.

Edited by Dpate

The 6oz. size comes in a plastic bottle, which is perfect for airbrushing. Compared to the 12oz. rattle can, there's no product waste. You only use what you need. Plus, it's a better deal than getting the Hobby Kit which contains only 2oz bottles of EC and basecoat, four Speed Shapes and a polishing cloth. I've tested MM gloss black enamel and acrylic, Gunze Aqueous and Mr. Color Gloss Black and Revell Email 32107/Aqua Color 36107 Gloss Black as basecoats and all are acceptable. The Hobby Kit includes a clear water-based urethane basecoat which is fantastic. It can be thinned with water, Tamiya X-20A Thinner or similar acrylic thinners to improve flow. I need to contact Alsa to see if they sell the clear basecoat in bottles. You can use other clear water-based urethanes, too. TCP Global carries a couple different brands

If you feel the need to use a topcoat, Alclad ALC600 Aqua Gloss Clear works. It doesn't affect the finish/reflectivity of the Easy Chrome. If you handle the chromed part and leave any fingerprints, use a soft, lint-free cloth, like the tee shirt you might be wearing at the time :D , and wipe them off. I'm going to refinish all of the chrome on my son's Schwinn Grey Ghost krate bike with EC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

The 6oz. size comes in a plastic bottle, which is perfect for airbrushing. Compared to the 12oz. rattle can, there's no product waste. You only use what you need. Plus, it's a better deal than getting the Hobby Kit which contains only 2oz bottles of EC and basecoat, four Speed Shapes and a polishing cloth. I've tested MM gloss black enamel and acrylic, Gunze Aqueous and Mr. Color Gloss Black and Revell Email 32107/Aqua Color 36107 Gloss Black as basecoats and all are acceptable. The Hobby Kit includes a clear water-based urethane basecoat which is fantastic. It can be thinned with water, Tamiya X-20A Thinner or similar acrylic thinners to improve flow. I need to contact Alsa to see if they sell the clear basecoat in bottles. You can use other clear water-based urethanes, too. TCP Global carries a couple different brands

If you feel the need to use a topcoat, Alclad ALC600 Aqua Gloss Clear works. It doesn't affect the finish/reflectivity of the Easy Chrome. If you handle the chromed part and leave any fingerprints, use a soft, lint-free cloth, like the tee shirt you might be wearing at the time :D , and wipe them off. I'm going to refinish all of the chrome on my son's Schwinn Grey Ghost krate bike with EC.

Def gonna have to give the Alsa a try.  I've almost purchased every other chrome airbrush product on the market lol so guess another couldn't hurt. I also own the aqua gloss clear by Alclad as i own ton of there products, just never used it on other chrome products as it dulls the finish. 

Edited by Dpate

Alclad exhibits the identical dulling as Testors Metalizers when a clearcoat is applied. The clearcoat flattens the metallic pigments so that they reflect light uniformly, leaving you with a shiny, but non-reflective, sheen. You end up with a finish that looks like the liner inside of a Hot Pockets holder, just shinier.

5 minutes ago, IceMan Collections said:

Here’s the SMS chrome I applied last week. No top coat. I know everyone has their preference but this has been my favorite one to work with so far. 
Alclad who?  Lol

BA87C80B-8438-424D-8BD4-9748DFEC0810.jpeg

8484BAB1-4BE3-4CD8-8703-7111D40F1860.jpeg

BF77EA1D-E142-445C-9443-CF7B2F5B2BEF.jpeg

46423376-6933-46ED-832D-33F65EF53BD3.jpeg

I’ve been following that build on your Insta (now I found your second page anyway) and it’s looking gorgeous…super clean!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, IceMan Collections said:

Here’s the SMS chrome I applied last week. No top coat. I know everyone has their preference but this has been my favorite one to work with so far. 
Alclad who?  Lol

BA87C80B-8438-424D-8BD4-9748DFEC0810.jpeg

8484BAB1-4BE3-4CD8-8703-7111D40F1860.jpeg

BF77EA1D-E142-445C-9443-CF7B2F5B2BEF.jpeg

46423376-6933-46ED-832D-33F65EF53BD3.jpeg

Looks pretty darn good even though looks little thick.  Almost reminds me of spazstix.

Edited by Dpate