Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Highboy Roadster - For TRaK 96 Hour buildoff - Day 4 - done!

Bernard Kron

I started this project today for the Traditional Rods and Kustoms  In Scale forum April 96 Hour Buildoff. It runs from midnight April 6 to Midnight April 9th. I began today by making sure it would be possible to get what I had in mind done by the deadline. A couple of years ago I scored a huge stash of Revell ’32 Ford spare parts on eBay, enough to build maybe 8 or 9 complete 1/25th scale Deuce roadsters, and 3-window & 5-window coupes, with plenty of parts left over. The only thing missing were wheels and tires. And since I.ve built literally dozens of Revell Deuces over the years I figured it was the perfect candidate for a speed build. Of course I want to keep the amount of fabrication and detailing to a minimum so I have a chance to complete it. I have a standard prep for any Revell Deuce that I go through and I decided to do a highboy roadster since it would be pretty close to the basic kit build. The one thing I did do that's not S.O.P. for me is to raise the rear axle mounting surface, effectively lowering the rear end the same amount, using a technique I first used on the Louver-Mania Coupe I finished last month. This allows me to maintain the stock location of the fuel tank. The picture below shows the start of the thrash and the inset details the lowering technique. You can also see the giant heap 'o chassis from my Deuce stash, LOL.

As I write this I have virtually all the parts in primer and the SBC from the Stacey David roadster painted and ready for assembly. I hope to get the main body parts and interior painted today and then focus on the drivetrain and chassis tomorrow.

The style of the car will be similar to the original release Highboy box art, a red Barry Lobeck "Ohio Look" roadster, but with the stance corrected and a chopped windshield. I had done a similar car many years ago and sold it off on eBay last year. I miss it so I thought I'd give it a go for the build-off.

Thanx for lookin',
B.

DSCF9533-web.jpg
Edited by Bernard Kron
  • Like 5

Thanx again guys!

Day 3 status check. The motor is built and installed: Revell SBC from the Stacey David Deuce with carburetion from the various Small Block Fords in the Revell Deuce kits. Rear tires are from the Revell Deuce kits, front tires the small "implement" tires from the Revellogram '30 Ford Sedan kits. Front and rear wheels are resin Radirs from a long forgotten source I found in my stash. Tomorrow is final assembly day! Fingers crossed things don't blow up on me!

Benchtop-Summary-Day-3-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron
  • Like 3

• Bernard Kron changed the title to '32 Ford Highboy Roadster - For TRaK 96 Hour buildoff - Day 3...
  • Bernard Kron changed the title to '32 Ford Highboy Roadster - For TRaK 96 Hour buildoff - Day 4 - done!