Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Chevy Corvette. Minor rebuild of my own work (Re-paint and some added details).

Dragonhawk1066

This one was originally built in November of 2019 as an entrant for a Box Stock Build-Off. The paint was a custom mix of craft paints with Pledge Floor Gloss as the clear. Unfortunately the clear cracked almost immediately, but I was still able to take pics because the cracking wasn't noticeable enough to show up in the pics. I always knew I would take it back apart to add some extra details otherwise not allowed in said Box Stock rules, but was unsure about a re-paint.

Last week I decided to go ahead and do what needed to be done and took it apart, not completely, just enough to add the details and give it a re-paint. I chose to go with Tamiya X-34 Metallic Brown through my airbrush with Createx UVLS 4050 as the clear this time around. I added valve stems to the wheels, and a coil, spark plug wires, and heater hoses to the engine. I did manage to break a windshield post during the process, but otherwise everything went fairly smooth. First pic shows the cracked original paint.

IMG_2098.JPEG

1 (2).JPEG

2a.JPEG

4.JPEG

4a.JPEG

4b.JPEG

6.JPEG

6a.JPEG

6b.JPEG

8b.JPEG

12.JPEG

13a.JPEG

15.JPEG

17b.JPEG

19.JPEG

21.JPEG

• Like 9

23 hours ago, Tuffy's Garage said:

Sweet Vette

22 hours ago, kelson said:

Beautiful!!

22 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Wow, what a difference ! . this Tamiya met orange is one of my favorite color. You nailed that one. I like everything about it.

22 hours ago, Hemifever said:

Really sharp build.

21 hours ago, Crowmag said:

Very nice , love the color 

21 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

That is one of the finest examples of this car. Great paint colour and finish. Very nice work on the brake light bezels. 👌

19 hours ago, bondo bill said:

That's one slippery ride -cool

16 hours ago, gman said:

Wow- what a make-over. Great job, your 'Vette looks excellent. You really nailed that re-paint and the interior/exterior colours look perfect together..

14 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

13 hours ago, XYHARRY said:

That Vette is beautiful. Well done Craig on a clean rebuild.

Cheers, 

David. 😎👍

12 hours ago, KWT said:

Very nicely done

12 hours ago, H.A.K said:

Thats real nice. Well done.,

5 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking color combination and like the two different tops. The paint finish is really nice now. 

Thanks everyone!

On 5/2/2023 at 7:10 PM, Rattlecan Dan said:

That is a gorgeous looking Vette. Wish you hadn't posted that TOO close first picture. Looks like my crepey skin. lol. The re-work (paint job) is beautiful. Excellent!

LOL, sorry about that, no amount of lotion was going to help this one 😂.

On 5/2/2023 at 9:36 PM, charger74 said:

Very well done 👍🏻👍🏻

On 5/3/2023 at 9:18 AM, Dominik said:

ohhhhh....what a beauty. color and interieur matches so well.

On 5/3/2023 at 2:03 PM, grodudulle77 said:

Very nice work !! 👍😀

On 5/3/2023 at 4:23 PM, ewetwo said:

Beautiful build. Love the color.

Thanks guys!

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Looks great - I too love the color!

Did you polish out that Createx clear?  Looks GREAT!

Thanks Jim, yes I did. I wet-sanded starting with 6000, then 8000, and 12000, polished with Novus #2, and put on a coat of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax.

On 5/1/2023 at 3:29 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

This one was originally built in November of 2019 as an entrant for a Box Stock Build-Off. The paint was a custom mix of craft paints with Pledge Floor Gloss as the clear. Unfortunately the clear cracked almost immediately, but I was still able to take pics because the cracking wasn't noticeable enough to show up in the pics. I always knew I would take it back apart to add some extra details otherwise not allowed in said Box Stock rules, but was unsure about a re-paint.

Last week I decided to go ahead and do what needed to be done and took it apart, not completely, just enough to add the details and give it a re-paint. I chose to go with Tamiya X-34 Metallic Brown through my airbrush with Createx UVLS 4050 as the clear this time around. I added valve stems to the wheels, and a coil, spark plug wires, and heater hoses to the engine. I did manage to break a windshield post during the process, but otherwise everything went fairly smooth. First pic shows the cracked original paint.

IMG_2098.JPEG

1 (2).JPEG

2a.JPEG

4.JPEG

4a.JPEG

4b.JPEG

6.JPEG

6a.JPEG

6b.JPEG

8b.JPEG

12.JPEG

13a.JPEG