Model Cars Magazine Forum

For Craftman kits, rather than kit bash for the not-included parts, sell the parts seperately

13 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Not the most accurate example since the OBS kits are being cloned off the promos and those were done 3rd Party for AMT back then and they didn't have access to the tooling to just re-release them otherwise. There's also the inherent problems even with cloning a 90s era tool parts into a 60/70s era long gone body of making everything play nice and fit together. See Full Bumper 70.5 Camaro, See retooling of the stock front end of the AMC Gremlin. Etc.

Thought the design of the OBS was done in the US and the tooling farmed out, but could be mistaken, and wasn't the problem with the '70 Camaro, altering an existing tool to create an all new version?

IMHO when designing an all new tool or cluster of tools based on scans of yesteryears kits, you're starting with existing data, one can adjust to make everything fit, similar to designing an all new tool from never done before subject matter, where one also has to adjust the size and shape of parts, due to the thickness of the plastic vs sheetmetal, molding limitations, etc...so don't realy see the problem.

But, again, the proof is in the pudding...

Edited by Luc Janssens
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 2:18 PM, drksd4848 said:

Just a thought... Would it be tough to sell separate small 1/25th scale Mopar engines or GM engine kits that you could add to a craftsman model like the GTO (although putting a Mopar engine in a GTO would be... weird 😲 But hey, why not?)  This way you wouldn't have to bust up a perfectly good model to add the details, you could buy an engine pack or whatever else.

Are there not complete 72 GTO donor kits available from literally every reseller for stupid cheap money? 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2023 at 4:18 AM, garagepunk66 said:

Are there not complete 72 GTO donor kits available from literally every reseller for stupid cheap money? 

It's hard not to buy one of the AMT reissues of the MPC '69 Olds 442 for less than $20 on Ebay or at shows and that has an admittedly fantastic chassis. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

It's hard not to buy one of the AMT reissues of the MPC '69 Olds 442 for less than $20 on Ebay or at shows and that has an admittedly fantastic chassis. 

Exactly and that's probably what a parts pack engine would end up costing. An added plus is left over parts for trading or other projects. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

I simply mentioned the 72 GTO kit because it is a "shotgun" approach to sourcing all of the missing parts to make the kit full detail with the least amount of re-engineering. The 72's chassis could even be used if a separate rear axle was desired. Certainly the 69 442 chassis is a better piece, but then again, to use it, you need to purchase another donor kit for the engine

34 minutes ago, garagepunk66 said:

I simply mentioned the 72 GTO kit because it is a "shotgun" approach to sourcing all of the missing parts to make the kit full detail with the least amount of re-engineering. The 72's chassis could even be used if a separate rear axle was desired. Certainly the 69 442 chassis is a better piece, but then again, to use it, you need to purchase another donor kit for the engine

In my mind the route to an acceptable '68 GTO runs through an MPC '69 Olds 442 chassis and a Revell '68 Firebird 400 engine/transmission/engine bay accessories as the bare minimum. I think the interior probably could be made to work. I'd also probably have to see whether it would be better to source things like the AC Compressor and PS pump from an AMT '66 Olds 442.

3 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

In my mind the route to an acceptable '68 GTO runs through an MPC '69 Olds 442 chassis and a Revell '68 Firebird 400 engine/transmission/engine bay accessories as the bare minimum. I think the interior probably could be made to work. I'd also probably have to see whether it would be better to source things like the AC Compressor and PS pump from an AMT '66 Olds 442.

I'm actually not arguing that at all. In fact, that would be along the path I would choose to take for myself in building this kit. 

However, the hobby is filled with people of different levels of expectations and budgets. It's important that people know if there are multiple routes of achieving a means to an end.

If someone were wanting to recreate the look, and the spirit, of having an MPC 68 GTO annual on the shelf, but on a "beer" budget, the 72 kit would provide all of the parts necessary to build a "faux-vivor", and there's nothing wrong with that kind of build if someone wants to go that route. That's really all I'm getting at. 

Edited by garagepunk66
  • Like 1

I would go the route of the 69 442 IF I wanted a detailed chassis. The 72 GTO would work if I didn't. The 67 Prostreet Chevelle is a possibilty too. I fortunately have a Parts Pack Pontiac engine. When I get in the mood to build one, I will use this kit.

68 GTO.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 8:56 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

Kits here are creeping into the $50 range for those curbsides.  Nobody likes spending money they don't have to, but if it's an accurate detailed kit of a subject I really want, then I'll probably bite the bullet.

There's also the idea that what you are really buying is building time, so a pricier kit that takes longer to put together is actually a better investment than several cheaper kits that you can put together in an evening.   This has always been the rationalization for the Pocher kits, anyhow.

100 % Richard.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 1:52 AM, Bills72sj said:

The 67 Prostreet Chevelle is a possibilty too.

One thing to keep in mind about that. The '65-'67 GM A-bodies had a 3 inch longer wheelbase then the '68-'72s.

Might not matter for a pro-streeter though.

Edited by Can-Con

For me Craftsman kits are kind of a disappointment.

I mainly build kits from Tamiya, Nunu, Aoshima, and other Asian manufacturers because they are consistently much higher quality. I am very picky when it comes to Revell, AMT, and other companies that mainly focus on American subject matter. And when I do choose an American kit, I choose it because it has been reviewed as a better kit, or the enginer is highly detailed, or something like that.

So when AMT sells these Craftsman kits without an engine, they are basically removing the one part of the kit that I am most interested in when I choose an American subject.

NOTE: This is an opinion. And may only apply to me.

Edited by ctruss53
  • Like 1