Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buick nailhead valve covers

Classicgas

• 3 weeks later...

Bill, if you want unrealistic L-C valve covers (and entire engine) check out the AMT 3-in-1 inboard boat kit*, c. 1959!  Of course, there were so few good 1/25 scale engines at that juncture that it seemed acceptable.  I remember some of the engines that builders scrounged up in the first Spotlite car model book of about 1960; pretty skimpy.  That was when I took my earlier kits off the display shelf (the top of my dresser) and started opening the hoods and trying to create engine compartments... I'm still finishing the '61 L-C Styline kit I began that year; now has P-100 headlites from a V-16 Caddie glue bomb salvage, and very large diameter rims.  I made it into a two-door 'sports roadster' ala T-Bird -- and can still show you the maroon soap dish plastic I had to use to blank off the rear compartment!  Razor blades, scrap plastic, hack-saw blades, and the old bench gringer in our garage; things was primitive then!!  Wick

*Two years ago I refurbished the boat (still Testors metallic blue) with a better engine, and finally put on the prop and rudder, which immediately got broken off! Oh well...