Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glass Tinting Experiment.

I've been contemplating a good solution for tinting glass for older cars for some time, and I think this might show some promise.

I'm looking for that very light green overall glass tint that you would see on many cars from the 50s and 60s.

Something like this, coupled with a darker top tint band might be a solution that could work well with a little refinement.

Testors clear enamel levels very well, and has a good gloss, but as we all know, is extremely yellow right out of the can.

So being as yellow and blue makes green, I thought that with the tiniest dab of blue, an acceptable green tint would be the result.

Personally, I think it looks pretty good, and would probably look a little more pronounced once installed in the model.

Now if I can just get it done without getting the slightest amount of junk in the paint, I might be on to something. :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 2

I have done the tint across the top on a couple of my builds as well.  Use Tamiya clear blue, or clear green.  I haven't attempted the clear brown you see on some lates 70's cars yet, but I'm sure that could be done with a couple drops of brow in some clear or something.  I don't know for sure.

This is a great topic though. I have been wanting to step up the realism of my builds and the glass is kind of like an uncharted territory. Many modelers do not mess with the glass.

3 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

I have been wanting to step up the realism of my builds and the glass is kind of like an uncharted territory. Many modelers do not mess with the glass.

I agree Chad.

This is one of those areas where I have experimented a little here and there, but it hasn't been easy to come up with a good, viable solution.

I posted this on a number of Facebook groups, and you wouldn't believe some of the suggestions that I've received!

While a number of them have been somewhat helpful, or even enlightening, some have been downright stupid!

One guy suggested that I make the glass from a Mountain Dew bottle!! :blink:

Steve

15 hours ago, El Roberto said:

Spray the Tamiya clear colors on the inside of the windshield, then you don't need a clear coat. 

I think the clearcoat is because the paint is being misted on very lightly. Since the effect is so transparent and the paint is applied so lightly, it could appear "dusty" even on the inside of the glass. A clearcoat would eliminate this.

5 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

I think the clearcoat is because the paint is being misted on very lightly. Since the effect is so transparent and the paint is applied so lightly, it could appear "dusty" even on the inside of the glass. A clearcoat would eliminate this.

Exactly.  You don't want to end up with a frosted windshield  And, yes it makes sense to do the tinting on the inside surface. 

Very good!  Worth noting is that you are successfully using a very basic, external mix airbrush. No fancy airbrush required.

I'm curious why you are using Royal Blue (which is an regular opaque color) rather than transparent blue?

A long time ago, I built a 1:25 scale Hot wheels El Camino. The Hot Wheels version had blue tinted windows so I wanted to replicate that. I used food coloring mixed in a dixie cup with Future/Pledge. You have to get it pretty dark in the cup to make any tint on the glass. The beauty with future is that it hides blemishes in the glass. Another benefit is that it comes right off completely with household ammonia. So you can try and fail as many times as you want and never harm the glass.

Tinted windows added.jpg

Edited by Bills72sj
  • Like 1

I think I've got pretty much what I'm looking for!

I let the enamel tint dry for a couple of days, got out the finest couple of Micro-Mesh pads, and some Novus #2 and gave it a quick polish to remove a few blemishes.

The enamel is tough enough to withstand some fairly aggressive polishing.

The result is a nice subtle tint, (which is what I wanted) with a very nice reflective gloss, and perfect clarity.

Now I just need to decide on the best way to add a tint band, (probably with materials I have on hand) and I'll be very happy.

This very light tint will probably be almost imperceptible along side the turquoise body and interior of my '64 Bonneville, but I really wanted to try this avenue for this, as well as future builds, to see if it would work as I had hoped.

I'm satisfied, and I don't have to spend any more money on materials, other than what's already in my arsenal.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

Well, I'm pretty excited about the results on this windshield!!

I decided to try a little trick that I heard from a fellow on a Facebook group........That's right, I said Facebook! :o

You never know where you might find a little tidbit.

He suggested that when spraying the tint band, to lift the edge of the tape on the leading edge, and spray from the direction of the mask, (lower edge of windshield) to help eliminate any visible line, and give the slight "fogging" effect on the edge of the tint.

Worked like a dream.

It also helps to eliminate any fogging of the rest of the windshield that is likely to occur when just spraying it freehand, to keep it nice and clear.

I have a little transparent blue/green Testors acrylic that I had mixed for glass some time ago, but seemed to have limited success with, so I masked in the prescribed fashion and gave it a few light passes on the inside of the glass.

I'm pretty pumped that I've finally found a viable solution for tinting glass.

A little more labor intensive than just shooting a coat of transparent blue on, but I don't mind taking a little extra time to get a result that I'm pleased with!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 2