Model Cars Magazine Forum

Washes and Weathering

I'm building a military aircraft model (helicopter) and painted it with Vallejo Model Air paints, which are acrylics. What is the best wash to use for weathering? I have some Tamiya Panel Liner but I think it is enamel and I'm afraid the thinner in it will ruin the paint. Should I clear coat before the wash?

Since you're already using Vallejo Model Air, their Model Wash acrylic line is excellent. Lots of colors available and they can be manipulated quite a bit. I've had good luck with them over satin or semigloss clear topcoats and then you can hit them with a final coat of clear flat once you're happy with the effect.

This is my current Bugatti 35B build from the Italeri 1/12 kit. Vallejo Dark Grey and Black washes were used around the louvers, rivets, panel lines and the area around the undertray seam where grease and dirt get trapped by the bolt locking wires. The paint is Vallejo Model Air Sky Blue with a top coat of Tamiya TS79 semi-gloss clear.

1713317944_PXL_20230529_1923186532.jpg.c28ce58002f8cb45e5b962d972af6a75.jpg1521693283_PXL_20230529_1919370032.jpg.394f675ba0839dc9a961635a64dcd3a0.jpg1862518064_PXL_20230529_1923225352.jpg.551586a3465b81a1734f1f19caab7e1f.jpg

• Like 2

That is the strange thing about Tamiya panel line pait. It is an enamel, but I have never had a problem with it reacting to other types of paint like an enamel should.

Having said that, I use Tamiya panel line paint for panel lines and on engines to make them look a little grungy. It works great.  And the best part, you use it in such small amounts that the bottle is practically a lifetime supply.

And like Robert said. Use it on gloss surfaces. It will stain flat finishes. So if your model is flat, spray a light gloss coat, use the panel liner, and then apply a matte coat.

Since this helicopter has a lot of detail and lines I want to do an entire wash over it, then clean up the excess. So this will be ok to do with the Tamiya? I have the decals on and will put on a coat of Revive-It floor polish. Then after the wash and clean up I will put on a coat of Testors dull cote.