Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pretty neat how those front wheels turn, I suspect sorcery!

Saw a video about cutting brass strips from sheet by scoring and then fatiguing the grooved metal in a vise. The width of the vise was extended with aluminum angle but I have an inexpensive aluminum bending brake that would work too. Of course, stacked styrene strips for a leaf spring is an easy option for us hacks that can't solder, LOL

So much detail going into this, thanks for sharing the journey!

hey, Bob.  I've tried styrene strips a couple of times but you have to roll the edges a little to maintain the look of individual leaves.  That is the beauty of the brass in that the sides already have just the tiniest bit of roundness to them.  Even painted the leaves still stand out.  BTW, soldering the leaves is one of the easiest of things to do.  I used a butane torch to heat just the ends one at a time to pull the solder in between them.  Start with the shortest pieces first and build up from there.  There's no solder in the middle at all.

No sorcery in those steering knuckles.  They all are made the same.  Here's a pic of others that were used on a different build.  One end goes into the axle and is secured with epoxy.  The other end goes through the wheel that has a bushing in it.  The wheel is secured with a small screw and washer.  The screw goes into a plastic insert that is drilled out and threaded.

027.JPG.6b390312fd5d867ec1b5b631bc6b2c50.JPG

Edited by Chariots of Fire

064.JPG.8e8c228e92ec1883070115acc009d241.JPG

Fenders are secure to the cab sides.  Lifting hooks added to the front bumper and brackets are installed for the headlights.  Lights are there for location but won't be set permanently until they are painted, interiors done with Molotow chrome and covered with a clear lens.  Tires were painted with Tamiya "rubber black".  Best representation of a rubber color I have found yet.

• Like 1

Finally got to the point of adding some paint.  The frame has been sprayed with Rustoleum etching primer.  Tires are painted with Tamiya TS-82 rubber black.  Rims are Testors olive drab.  The engine is Duplicolor gray primer which will be the base color.  Detailing will bring out the hi-lights.   Still have the fuel tank and tool compartment to add to the frame sides but painting it first helps keep the coats of paint lighter.  066.JPG.85e8ff5f5f3c7c1e78c1fe7f943591d1.JPG068.JPG.82615e12a2f25eb973a0029ae61d6d38.JPG

• Like 2

The elves continue to be busy.  The frame and running gear have been painted and the engine is installed.  Exhaust has been added.  A tool compartment is now behind the air tanks and the fuel tank is on the left side just behind the cab.  All of the driveshafts are in position.  I was able to get some 3D printed U-joints and put them on sections of brass tubing.  They are very well defined and are easy to use.  The hand brake is also now behind the transfer case.  Got a few details to go on the cab with the air cleaner, fuel pump, 50 cal. mounting brackets, windshield wipers and motors and finishing up all of the details inside the cab.  Plenty on the plate still to go!😃

081.thumb.JPG.10fbcdbc1815a5498be81fa731f39b2d.JPG082.thumb.JPG.a14bfecf1ef884cceaccb5c6d587c2e5.JPG083.thumb.JPG.4749d3723c673fa6f9c3828ecabb19ac.JPG084.JPG.90e9a2707dc9a275beb4e50360bb0e20.JPG085.thumb.JPG.33bbadd94213e6b9bf54d210cf2637e3.JPG

• Like 1

Wow, just look at that engine! It really stands out next to the olive drab of the chassis! Not sure if the chassis is weathered or not, but it looks great as is! Lots of little widgets that stand out too, the fine detail means little need for the washes often used to bring out such details, everything replicated in miniature, thanks for the sharp photos, too!

Here's the latest pics of progress.  Some additional details have been added to the cab and the interior is done.  Rear fenders are in place along with the 5th wheel and the plates that direct the trailer to it.094.JPG.da075cb5ccb322f75e90f57f9b2c334b.JPG

096.JPG.e02aa8d15513d1f6738ea57ac139467a.JPG

Tail lights are installed on each side of the pintle hook.  Reflectors are on the outside of the frame.

101.thumb.JPG.d38b20d80bd14ba678ef571dfcd41f98.JPG103.JPG.a21fa57c661c5ae5317bafef8234bebd.JPG

Decision was made to keep the cab removable, otherwise the engine detail would never be seen.  I jury rigged a stand to set the cab on for display purposes.

• Like 2

Just now, redneckrigger said:

Another mind blowing effort Charlie. You continue to amaze!!!!!!!

Got a dilemma, Tom.  I ordered a Tankograd book for trailers that the Autocar pulled thinking that it would have some photos and details of the fuel tankers.  No such luck!  The have the open box type trailers in two types, and other rigs but no fuel trailers.  So I may end up doing the 25 foot wood sides general materials trailer.  They were used in hauling goods from the beachfront to the troops after Normandy.  I do have some basic fuel trailer photos but not much of the undersides.  May have to wing it!  BTW the fuelers were made by Heil.