Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wish round 2 would release some obscure stuff

This is a universal problem with model kits.

With the cost of tooling, and the modern problem of paying for all the licensing, a model kit has a very large up front cost. So model kit companies are only going to invest in kits that will sell well.

However there are times when kit companies choose a model that is less popular and I can't understand why. Example: Fujimi has used the same 1993 Volkswagen Golf 5 door hatchback tooling for like 5 different kits over the years, including a race car. I can't understand this because the 3 doors were much more popular.

Maybe this was a licensing thing. The could get the 5 door license from VW for less than the 3 door.  I don't know.  All I know is now I'm modifying a 5 door to make it a 3 door.

18 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Is this thread in the wrong sub category? this is the truck category.

OKAY...........   how about them bringing out a truck kit of the old B MODEL MACK.   Those were offered for YEARS, there were absolutely thousands of them on the roads for years, and, in the "resin caster's world" for trucks, was one of their MOST POPULAR offerrings......   Wanna pick something that would be a popular kit????

DJ

• Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 3:14 PM, TECHMAN said:

OKAY...........   how about them bringing out a truck kit of the old B MODEL MACK.   Those were offered for YEARS, there were absolutely thousands of them on the roads for years, and, in the "resin caster's world" for trucks, was one of their MOST POPULAR offerrings......   Wanna pick something that would be a popular kit????

DJ

Mack would have to be willing to license it at a "reasonable" cost. I would be willing to bet licensing costs are a big driving factor for what kits are made and what aren't.

• Like 2

Agree entirely!!  But, since there are several other Mack models already out on the market, would appear to me the the "powers that be" at Mack can, at least, be worked with.   I understand that there are probably a large number of different subjects that would already be in production if it weren't for issues concerning the "fees" that some of the vehicle manufactures want to charge......... 🙄

DJ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 1:34 PM, 1st 700 Quad said:

Two cars I absolutely hate.

I might agree with you if I had not seen some of the Modren Sales numbers.

Mustangs & Messerschmitt's or Mustangs & Camaro's underpin the Model Industry.

These are the sales giants that allow most of the new stuff to get funding.

It is (of course) far more complicated than that, but these kits 'always' sell. So, new versions get tooled and old versions get new decals and are re-released. 

As for trucks, I'd love to see the Revell 1/24th Unimog released in a more budget friendly price, especially the Dakar racing version. And I'm glad to see their VW Eurovan back as a Westfalia, but I really want the flat top panel version. I have one of that and I'd like a few more. Maybe even tool up a pickup body for it? As for AMT, how about their 55-57 Chevy pickup done as a GMC version?

• Like 1

My obscure choices in 1/25 scale would be ..... (there's more but I'll start here) .....

1969 Mercury Cyclone CJ 428
1967 / 1968 Buick GS 400 (I have Perry's Resin '68)
1973 Buick GS Stage1  4-speed
1970-1971 Plymouth Sport Fury GT
1971 Dodge Coronet and Coronet Crestwood Wagon (Great for Police/Fire vehicles)
1967-1968 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 Holiday Coupe or convertible

of course with these choices, 3D printed/resin models will be my only hope.