Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1985(ish) VW Golf GTi Mk2 1/24 scale

polybius

This build was recently finished up after marinating for a while on the shelf of stalled projects.  The thought of the extensive masking that was needed for all the trim was daunting, but in the end it wasn't as troublesome as feared.  The kit is an older tooling from Revell that dates back to the early 80s and has a pretty interesting history of branding and boxing.  The only other Mk2 Golf/GTi that I'm familiar with is the Fujimi tooling, and it's definitely different than this Revell tooling.  

It went together surprisingly easily for the most part.  The trickiest part seemed to be the front subframe and engine attachment process.  The kit's wheels are base Golf style steelies, and are more fitting on a Mk1 Rabbit diesel than a GTi.  I sourced some appropriate GTi wheels from a Fujimi kit, since my plans for the Fujimi kit include an upgrade to some era-spec BBS rims.  The Fujimi wheels fit directly on the Revell axle nubs, and required no adjustment at all to get the proper stance and fit.  

The paint is DupliColor VW Tornado Red followed by Rustoleum clear lacquer.  Most of the trim is either MrColor black surfacer or Tamiya semi-gloss black.  The interior is basic and the tooling lacks detail, so I didn't detail it much aside from the dash cluster and switchgear.  I'm a fan of 80s "pocket rockets" like the GTi, and had owned an '86 GTi 8v for a short while.  My '86 was Mars Red, so it was a bit more orange than this darker Tornado Red that I prefer.  It brought back memories, and I'm glad it's off the bench and onto the shelf.  Thanks for looking! 

IMG_3141(2).jpg

IMG_3111(2).jpg

IMG_3124(2).jpg

IMG_3116(2).jpg

IMG_3140(2).jpg

IMG_3135(2).jpg

Edited by polybius
  • Like 8

Nice! Got that same kit many years back. The weakness I have for these is my current daily driver '86 GTI with its 300k+ miles. I was thinking I'd one day do a replica of it, but with my preferences of upgrades such as the larger side windows / mirrors placed further forward on '87s & up. Also 5-spoke aftermarket wheels. And maybe syncro AWD.  (would do the same on my 1:1 if I could afford it - taking donations, just be sure to make the checks out to "Cash" 😉)