Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Facebook account has been hijacked and may be un-recoverable

It's been a very interesting last few days, to say the least.

I went to send a message to some friends in a group chat, and when my Messenger logged out, wouldn't recognize my password or phone number, and then I saw the notification that everything was changed, my displeasure was quite strong.

The account recovery didn't work, and I'm not sure what to do with it.

A couple of friends of mine have been watching things, and I've been advising them to report it as hacked/stolen/whatever is appropriate, and if you're friends with me on Favebook, I encourage you to do likewise.

Once I have a new account established, I'll let everyone know in some way/shape form.

Charlie Larkin

19 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

It's been a very interesting last few days, to say the least.

I went to send a message to some friends in a group chat, and when my Messenger logged out, wouldn't recognize my password or phone number, and then I saw the notification that everything was changed, my displeasure was quite strong.

The account recovery didn't work, and I'm not sure what to do with it.

A couple of friends of mine have been watching things, and I've been advising them to report it as hacked/stolen/whatever is appropriate, and if you're friends with me on Favebook, I encourage you to do likewise.

Once I have a new account established, I'll let everyone know in some way/shape form.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, the exact same thing happened to my wife last year. I don't know what all was actually involved but she had to send Facebook pics of 2 pieces of ID to prove it was her and she was eventually able to get it straitened out. 

That said, she did abandon that account and set up another one as she no longer trusted it.

I've only been on Facebook for a short time, (maybe around a couple of years) and in that short time, I've notified a dozen or more established Facebook friends that their accounts had been hacked.

Every so often, I'll get a friend request from someone that I know is already a friend, and when you look at the account of the requestor, it's easy to see that it's bogus as their is almost nothing in the timeline.

Only a cover photo and profile picture and little else.

In these cases, I've just notified the friend that someone has hijacked their account, but what you're describing sounds more serious.

The friends in question apparently still have control of their accounts, but someone is just using their name and photos for what is apparently some sort of phishing expedition.

Your circumstance sounds more sinister.

I guess all that you can do is what has been suggested.

Notify Facebook, and then probably create a new account.

Steve