Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1967 Chevrolet Camaro 1/25

beeRS

For my next project I will be tackling the Revell 1967 Camaro. This is probably my favourite shape of classic Camaro, but the '69 is a close second.

67pont-9.jpg

Sifting through my stash of kits, I picked this one out as its one of the few that ticks all the right boxes for me. Separate windscreen wiper - check. Separate door handles - check. Properly detailed chassis and engine - check. Correct interior - check. One of the most frustrating things I find in model building is when kit manufacturers get the interior, floor pan or some other major component wrong. In this cas I will be able to build this mostly out of the box.

67pont-7.jpg

Having said that, I am changing the wheels for a set of Cragars using a michmash of wheels and wheel-backs that I found in my spare parts box. 

67pont-10.jpg

The pink moulded wheel-backs are from a pro-street T-Bird that I cannibalised for parts years ago. They just neede a little more depth which I am adding with plastic sheet.

67pont-12.jpg

The majority of prep done and its primer time. I'm using Mr Color 1500 grey primer

67pont-14.jpg

Finding time/space for airbrushing is difficult for me as I do this in my workshop where I normally work on 1:1 cars. Clearing up before and after takes ages. This is as far as I've got for now, but I'll be back with some updates soon. 

Your comments, criticisms and tips are all welcome.

Edited by beeRS
Spelling
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Dominik said:

that kit is so rare in the meantime and i was happy to get one. 

i will watch your build so i'll take a seat. nice start 😉

I didn’t realise the kit had become rare. I tend to buy when they are new releases, then put them in my stash until I get the urge to build. 

12 hours ago, kelson said:

Looking forward to this build,did you remove the chrome molding trim on the lower body?,it's RS or RS/SS only.

No.  The moulding is still there. I’m building this as a SS, but not necessary 100% factory stock. Should I have removed the trim?

3 hours ago, Pierre_tec said:

I admire your courage to build kind of rare kit, from the collectors perspective of course. But that what models are for, being built, so nice start and looking forward to see some colors 

I bought this kit in 2015. I think it was a 2014 release. Didn’t realise it had become rare. I paid £19 GBP for it from a US online retailer. I’d buy five or six kits ata time to combine shipping costs. This kit worked out to about 30 dollars back then (I wish I could get an exchange rate like that now!).

I’ll try to do justice to this kit. 

• Like 2

in my opinion, rarety isn't important for me. I will build mine also - thats what they are made for.

the only problem is to find one to a fair price, to build it. 

19 hours ago, Calb56 said:

I didn't even know Revell had done a 67. The amount of detail sounds great. Of course with the Cragars.

me too. i was building the amt 67 Camaro and a friend told me (or better, he asked me), why i'm not using the Revell Kit. At this point, i didn't knew 😄 ....and searched, and found it. 

overall, the 67/68/69 camaro is a great kit they made (similar to the 68/69/70 Charger). always like to build it. i've completed about five of them and never get boring.

sorry for oftopic Sonny. keep your work coming 🙂 

1 hour ago, Dominik said:

in my opinion, rarety isn't important for me. I will build mine also - thats what they are made for.

the only problem is to find one to a fair price, to build it. 

me too. i was building the amt 67 Camaro and a friend told me (or better, he asked me), why i'm not using the Revell Kit. At this point, i didn't knew 😄 ....and searched, and found it. 

overall, the 67/68/69 camaro is a great kit they made (similar to the 68/69/70 Charger). always like to build it. i've completed about five of them and never get boring.

sorry for oftopic Sonny. keep your work coming 🙂 

How much are these kits selling for in the US? I searched ebay UK, and there 6 kits available from one seller at £49.99 GBP. 

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266141530364

11 hours ago, beeRS said:

I didn’t realise the kit had become rare. I tend to buy when they are new releases, then put them in my stash until I get the urge to build. 

No.  The moulding is still there. I’m building this as a SS, but not necessary 100% factory stock. Should I have removed the trim?

I bought this kit in 2015. I think it was a 2014 release. Didn’t realise it had become rare. I paid £19 GBP for it from a US online retailer. I’d buy five or six kits ata time to combine shipping costs. This kit worked out to about 30 dollars back then (I wish I could get an exchange rate like that now!).

I’ll try to do justice to this kit. 

If you google 67'camaro ss ,you'll see the chrome trim is different,but since you aren't building it 100% factory stock i would just leave it.

• Thanks 1

I did not realize that this kit is rare. I bought mine at a IPMS event in the Bay Area., $14. Because the engine block was glued together. Love the kit. If revell came out with another one I would buy a few. You will have fun and it’s going to come out nice. Cannot wait to see it. 

• Thanks 1

I built the Nicky RS 427 sister kit when they came out a few years ago. Nice kit.

Added some underhood details, the Torque Thrust wheels from a Revell 32 Ford and a tire swap and got a "best GM" award at a contest a few weeks ago.

Still have one copy of this kit waiting in my stash. 

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I built the Nicky RS 427 sister kit when they came out a few years ago. Nice kit.

Added some underhood details, the Torque Thrust wheels from a Revell 32 Ford and a tire swap and got a "best GM" award at a contest a few weeks ago.

Still have one copy of this kit waiting in my stash. 

I’m not familiar with the Nicky 427 kit, but I’d love to get my hands on one. 

Interestingly, I was strongly considering Torque Thrust wheels for this too, but in the end opted for the Cragars just because I already have a few sets in the parts box. 

8 hours ago, beeRS said:

I’m not familiar with the Nicky 427 kit, but I’d love to get my hands on one. 

Interestingly, I was strongly considering Torque Thrust wheels for this too, but in the end opted for the Cragars just because I already have a few sets in the parts box. 

Sonny, here's a link to RandyB's beautiful build. I think it's strait from the box with just the addition of plug wires. Both are hard kits to find now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 1:40 AM, Brudda said:

I did not realize that this kit is rare. I bought mine at a IPMS event in the Bay Area., $14. Because the engine block was glued together. Love the kit. If revell came out with another one I would buy a few. You will have fun and it’s going to come out nice. Cannot wait to see it. 

I've purchased a few second-hand kits over the years where only the two engine halves are glued together. I wonder what's going on here? Maybe someone glues the first two bits together and gives up!

On 6/24/2023 at 5:16 PM, Can-Con said:

Sonny, here's a link to RandyB's beautiful build. I think it's strait from the box with just the addition of plug wires. Both are hard kits to find now.

That is a beautifully built Camaro. Nice colour!

On 6/25/2023 at 1:01 AM, Bills72sj said:

Good luck on your build. I have the Nicky kit to get to when I am in a Camaro mood.

Thanks.

On 6/25/2023 at 2:47 AM, SPOONYSCHOPSHOP said:

Very nice Cam 

Thanks.

Here's some more progress on my Camaro. The body primered.

67pont-16.jpg

Zero paint's Bright aluminium. Note - those wheels are from a different project.

67pont-22.jpg

Tamiya satin black for the underside and Zero Paint's 'Steel' for the fuel tank.

67pont-27.jpg

I mixed my own 'chevy orange' for the engine block. This was done with Tamiya red and a little yellow. I just did this by eye to match pics I could see from Google. The valve covers a chrome plated in the kit, so I stripped them and did them silver.

P9230021.jpg

P9230022.jpg

I added boots to the distributor before painting black. This will help with wiring the engine later.

P9230023.jpg

Same satin black as the underside for the interior (because I'm a lazy modeler today).

P9230024.jpg

Now it's time for the most important dilemma...

67paint.jpg

• Like 5

I agree with Justin on the body work. These cars looked great in almost any color, so paint it the way that looks good to you. I do recall a Butternut Yellow and a Willow Green Camaros that ran around town. The Maroon Mt. color was used by GM for a long time, and it does tend to show the body lines well with light shadows depending on the light. The Plum Mist was a springtime release color in '67 and is not seen as often as some of the others, but it does look good. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2023 at 5:02 AM, beeRS said:

I've purchased a few second-hand kits over the years where only the two engine halves are glued together. I wonder what's going on here? Maybe someone glues the first two bits together and gives up!

That is a beautifully built Camaro. Nice colour!

Thanks.

Thanks.

Here's some more progress on my Camaro. The body primered.

67pont-16.jpg

Zero paint's Bright aluminium. Note - those wheels are from a different project.

67pont-22.jpg

Tamiya satin black for the underside and Zero Paint's 'Steel' for the fuel tank.

67pont-27.jpg

I mixed my own 'chevy orange' for the engine block. This was done with Tamiya red and a little yellow. I just did this by eye to match pics I could see from Google. The valve covers a chrome plated in the kit, so I stripped them and did them silver.

P9230021.jpg

P9230022.jpg

I added boots to the distributor before painting black. This will help with wiring the engine later.

P9230023.jpg

Same satin black as the underside for the interior (because I'm a lazy modeler today).

P9230024.jpg

Now it's time for the most important dilemma...

67paint.jpg

Cool! Other wheels , are they pantera campi wheels! Let’s see that project also. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your encouragement. Just a small update on this one today

I found the chrome on the wheels to be too shiny so I tried this little cheat with a sanding sponge 1500 grade. I thought I'd give it a try before stripping off the chrome. If it didn't work out I would be stripping it anyway. As it turned out, I quite like it and it was super easy

67pont-25.jpg

The tyres were sprayed with Tamiya Rubber black.

P7080006.jpg

Flocked the carpet and Molotow pen for the window winders.

P7080001.jpg

A few more parts hit by the air brush.

P7080010.jpg

P7080011.jpg

P7080012.jpg

P7080013.jpg

This is the look I'm going for. Mountain Green 😀

1967-chevrolet-camaro-ss.jpg

Thanks for watching my progress. Spraying the body is always a bit of 'nail biting' fun. Here I go...

• Like 6

Sonny, I should mention, one thing to watch out for with these Camaro kits is how the tail lights sit in the body. 

On mine and a couple others I've seen built, the bezels sit a bit wonky in the body. They're higher on the outside then the inside towards the center of the car. You should be able to see what I mean in the pic. I didn't notice it until after I had taken the pics but after seeing it I noticed it in a few other builds of the kit from other people.

I don't know, maybe I got the lights on the wrong sides but they looked exactly the same to me. Or maybe the openings are a bit off, I don't know.

But it's something to watch out for.

IMG 2492

IMG 2501

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2023 at 12:07 AM, Can-Con said:

Sonny, I should mention, one thing to watch out for with these Camaro kits is how the tail lights sit in the body. 

On mine and a couple others I've seen built, the bezels sit a bit wonky in the body. They're higher on the outside then the inside towards the center of the car. You should be able to see what I mean in the pic. I didn't notice it until after I had taken the pics but after seeing it I noticed it in a few other builds of the kit from other people.

I don't know, maybe I got the lights on the wrong sides but they looked exactly the same to me. Or maybe the openings are a bit off, I don't know.

But it's something to watch out for.

IMG 2492

IMG 2501

Thanks for the advice about the taillights. This is definitely something I will check out now 👍🏼

• Like 1