Model Cars Magazine Forum

Martin Truex #19 Toyota Camry

satterwhite78

Getting pretty good on the chassis, it's the decals that bring the party! This body rocks as a representation of the  current TRD NASCAR entry and if you think about it ...when was the last time there was a model of every car that currently was on the track?

Molded in black, the only recommendation is to clearcoat the body/hood and you have a Gloss black body that saves you time and paint!

20230622_111404.jpg

20230622_111418.jpg

20230622_111440.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bbowser said:

Wow!  I'm not scared of decals but.....

Really nice job.

I will admit it is and was a daunting task. Think of it instead of peeling off layers of that of an onion, instead you are applying the layers.

Once the main camo panels (behind the front wheel to the middle of the rear wheel panel, the rear and top quarter panel, and trunk lid panel) are installed, the roof/ number panel, frt grill section, hood decal and red/yellow wave stripe are a tad more challenging. 

The roof/number panel doesn't have hole cutout for the two raised points on the roof....you need to cut a small slit for both so the decal will fit flush.

The frt grill not to bad, just move any air bubbles out to the edge.

The red/yellow wave extends from grill to top of frt wheel well to the bottom of the A Pillar. From there the red stripe extends to the end of the C pillar. Once installed,  you will have some overhang into the inside of the windows.  Take a sharp blade, make a slit at each of the top inside window corners and tuck/fold in the outer roof decal into the side window openings. The top roof panel has some overhang at the frt and rear windshield as does the trunklid decal.

I almost believe it would pay to install the windows,  front, RS fr/rear passenger and rear, afterwards bc those decals have some overlap to those areas. Decal solvent will be a good friend

The hood isn't as bad as the Camaro's. The Camaro has recessed hood indentation which make a little more work in making the hood decal lay down in it.  The Camry just has the hood vents.  Decal solvent and rolling a Q tip to press the decal into the hood vents and around the hood pins once the decal softens works best.

Decaling time? 4-4.5 hours, a conservative estimate but it pays off

Edited by satterwhite78
Added text
  • Like 1

I applaud you for the full body wrap. Doing the Chastain and Suarez partial wraps were almost too hard for me, so I can imagine what you had to go through with this. Perfect analogy about the onion and if you get one piece wrong it messes up the whole job. Bravo.

On 6/26/2023 at 1:26 PM, satterwhite78 said:

Getting pretty good on the chassis, it's the decals that bring the party! This body rocks as a representation of the  current TRD NASCAR entry and if you think about it ...when was the last time there was a model of every car that currently was on the track?

Molded in black, the only recommendation is to clearcoat the body/hood and you have a Gloss black body that saves you time and paint!

20230622_111404.jpg

20230622_111418.jpg

20230622_111440.jpg

Awesome job