Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 T-Bird - a really nice kit

customline

I read the reviews on the Hobbylinc site and I just had to get one. So I found this one on Ebay for a decent price and it arrived Saturday. I couldn't get away from it. The perfect body, the fully detailed 390, the sharply rendered wire wheels, white wall inserts, separate interior sides with details in high relief. Steering box, air conditioning system, power steering, heater hoses, posable wheels....friends, it's a great kit. The chrome windshield frame is precision fit to the cowl from the bottom.....I had to start this thing like NOW! The big FE is equipped with three deuces and the detail of the block and heads is on par with the Moebius 300B hemi. Almost. The distributor is on the small side but big enough to drill the center out for wires....it had a vacuum advance on it but I broke it off while drilling 💩.  I have assembled it enough for paint that I will apply later today. I feel like I should strip the chrome off the rocker covers and paint them silver for authenticity but hey, I love chrome. I don't need to decide on that yet.

The plan is to keep it stock and I have already been cautioned about the dash being too wide but anything else I should know will be appreciated, and yes, I have seen the blue one with the Starliner roof.  Comments, criticism,  BS, etc...welcome, as always 🙂.

709502670.jpg.3d1560ab75fad8f953670d20886798f7.jpg

IMG_4271.jpg.1f569364dfa53b9cace15988617bc14c.jpgIMG_4272.jpg.780a8262835ef943ba5d63699ded6428.jpgIMG_4275.jpg.2dfc206374be51898b6ded2fdbcbf7cd.jpgIMG_4279.jpg.556be07721866c4f921af51fcd259caa.jpgIMG_4278.jpg.8f16dd9decb16710a56f9dc49ccd23a9.jpgIMG_4277.jpg.c4f72732860034d36d9c0e032ce07221.jpg

IMG_4281.thumb.jpg.dcded297b72c930f1dcf67cc606a3308.jpg

IMG_4280.thumb.jpg.a15be72042b8aab8435d0569ee5bad11.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, espo said:

Great looking kit parts. I'm thinking any T-Bird with the 3x2 setup may very well have had a chrome engine dress up kit anyway. 

Good point, Dave. Stop making sense! 🤨   I hate to paint this engine black but that's what my research turned up. Maybe someone will give me a reason to use another color....gold, maybe?  I think blue looks good, huh?

51 minutes ago, Slotto said:

I have to agree with you Jim. I have this kit and it was a dream to build. Everything went together so well and I couldn't put it down. I built it in a week. Favorite kit hands down.

Here's mine

Steve, your 'Bird looks fantastic in red w/ white roof- this car begs for that.

Do you think this kit rises to the level of the Moebius Chryslers? It is at the very least as good as some of the Revell Special Editions. I am highly motivated to make this one special. I cannot find anything on the body that needs correction. No parting lines, no nuthin'! It's perfect. There is, however, an issue that, for me, could be a bit of a challenge. The scripts and emblems are very low relief, making it quite difficult to "finish" them properly.  Maybe someone can help me out with their input on this. I will usually remove them in order to have an easy job of micro-polishing out the paint job but I don't want to build a custom this time.

IMG_4295.jpg.a143a7c0ddc41b85ac7b5b85492a72b9.jpgIMG_4300.jpg.b014d08965838207582dd894be220b46.jpgIMG_4301.jpg.5a57e3d183dd9ad05c99fdf8913b94d1.jpg

• Like 1

The thing I see that could be troublesome is the chrome trim that runs along the top ridge. My foiling skills are good enough to do most jobs but this one will test me. This kit is not a level 2, In my humble opinion, due to the skills required to make an authentic replica.

Look at the cool stuff below.  The windshield fit is perfect!  And the way the chassis locks into the body at the rear?  You gotta love that!  And hanging pedals? You don't get that on most kits 🥴. And they gave us a swing-away steering wheel to make real if we so desire.IMG_4302.thumb.jpg.fa7351ea16121671517b290b75f69a57.jpgIMG_4297.jpg.ef5404a65f080139383a8900c29ec93f.jpgIMG_4303.jpg.31b2eb15226a952dadcf283dabc198a1.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, customline said:

The thing I see that could be troublesome is the chrome trim that runs along the top ridge. My foiling skills are good enough to do most jobs but this one will test me. This kit is not a level 2, In my humble opinion, due to the skills required to make an authentic replica.

Look at the cool stuff below.  The windshield fit is perfect!  And the way the chassis locks into the body at the rear?  You gotta love that!  And hanging pedals? You don't get that on most kits 🥴. And they gave us a swing-away steering wheel to make real if we so desire.IMG_4302.thumb.jpg.fa7351ea16121671517b290b75f69a57.jpgIMG_4297.jpg.ef5404a65f080139383a8900c29ec93f.jpgIMG_4303.jpg.31b2eb15226a952dadcf283dabc198a1.jpg

So great, he had to post it twice...

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Slotto said:

Yeah, I skimmed them with the chrome pen. Had I thought about it I would have first layed down some BMF and painted over them then reveal the emblems with a bit of alcohol before clear. You are gonna enjoy it!

Oh I dunno, Steve....it looks like a hair-puller to me but maybe I can work something out. Most of it looks like fun, though. It's a whole lot better than the old screw-bottoms I've been dealing with lately. Fun is where you find it 🤤.

Don't know if you have Googled your year model Thunderbird yet, but you can find a lot of pictures of these when new, restored, or whatever owners have done with them. This could give you some ideas along with maybe engine colors and such.  Also check here on the forum where others have posted how they have handled issues with doing bare metal foil. I would suggest putting foil on the lettering and small trim like that before you even primer the body. I have had good luck doing this on this type of trim and keep as much of the paint off of the trim as possible when you start painting. I have gone as far as using masking tape over the trim until you get to the color coats. You would have to go back over the trim with a fine point Q tip with paint remover to expose the chrome surface between color coats. Before the clear coats make sure your trim is exposed the way you want it and then just clear over it along with the rest of the body. The windshield header chrome trim and any other lightly molded trim can be easier to see if you give the body the lightest possible dusting of primer. This will make the trim easier to see than just the white plastic. Outline your trim with your #11 so you don't lose the trim outline as you build up your paint. You can also put some narrow masking tape on the body outlining the trim before you're foiling, and this makes it much cleaner removing the excess foil. Hope some of this helps. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, espo said:

Don't know if you have Googled your year model Thunderbird yet, but you can find a lot of pictures of these when new, restored, or whatever owners have done with them. This could give you some ideas along with maybe engine colors and such.  Also check here on the forum where others have posted how they have handled issues with doing bare metal foil. I would suggest putting foil on the lettering and small trim like that before you even primer the body. I have had good luck doing this on this type of trim and keep as much of the paint off of the trim as possible when you start painting. I have gone as far as using masking tape over the trim until you get to the color coats. You would have to go back over the trim with a fine point Q tip with paint remover to expose the chrome surface between color coats. Before the clear coats make sure your trim is exposed the way you want it and then just clear over it along with the rest of the body. The windshield header chrome trim and any other lightly molded trim can be easier to see if you give the body the lightest possible dusting of primer. This will make the trim easier to see than just the white plastic. Outline your trim with your #11 so you don't lose the trim outline as you build up your paint. You can also put some narrow masking tape on the body outlining the trim before you're foiling, and this makes it much cleaner removing the excess foil. Hope some of this helps. 

Yup. Preaching to the choir, Dave, and I do appreciate your interest. I will certainly try out the trim tricks. I've known about them for a while but haven't the opportunity yet. 

When I get a kit in my hands, the second thing I do is BING it.  I download a big batch of jpg files and just brainstorm on it. Hey, so what?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, customline said:

The thing I see that could be troublesome is the chrome trim that runs along the top ridge.

Hey, Jim...... just wanted to give you a tip on foiling the beltline trim along the top of the fenders. I just used a straight edge to cut the foil while it was still on the sheet. Then you can pull the strip of foil off the sheet and have a perfectly cut edge. Just make it a little long so you have some to handle on each end, then trim to length once placed...... I did this on a Starliner, also. ( I try to not have to cut on my fresh paint ).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Hey, Jim...... just wanted to give you a tip on foiling the beltline trim along the top of the fenders. I just used a straight edge to cut the foil while it was still on the sheet. Then you can pull the strip of foil off the sheet and have a perfectly cut edge. Just make it a little long so you have some to handle on each end, then trim to length once placed...... I did this on a Starliner, also. ( I try to not have to cut on my fresh paint ).

Your foiling prowess is apparently about 8 levels higher than mine but I appreciate your suggestions and I just might try it. Thanks! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

I built an AMT Custom Shop when they first came out in the 2000s. Really easy kit to build. Foiled over the printed silver trim. Had to paint the roadster deck black. I can't remember what color it came painted, but it was wrong.

The scripts on this body seem pretty faint but I am going to try foiling them before the primer goes on. Thanks for your interest, Tim.

17 hours ago, Sonorandog said:

I just bought this kit last weekend.  I bought it because I am a big fan of the body style.  After reading your write up I feel like I got a hidden treasure.  Looking forward to following your build.

Welcome to my nightmare 🥴 . Your interest is appreciated,  Steve.

8 hours ago, dino246gt said:

I also love this kit!

I did a mild custom with a laid back, chopped windshield!

I DID foil along the fender tops, like "Jolly Sipper" said, thin strips cut on the sheet, then applied.

Cheers and enjoy building this cool kit!

IMG_1531.JPG

That's a very cool 'Bird, Dennis. I can't tell from the photo but did you open up the door handles? I'm thinking about trying it but it looks like it might end badly for me. Thanks for sharing!

10 hours ago, dino246gt said:

I also love this kit!

I did a mild custom with a laid back, chopped windshield!

I DID foil along the fender tops, like "Jolly Sipper" said, thin strips cut on the sheet, then applied.

Cheers and enjoy building this cool kit!

IMG_1531.JPG

That’s gorgeous 

21 hours ago, customline said:

That's a very cool 'Bird, Dennis. I can't tell from the photo but did you open up the door handles? I'm thinking about trying it but it looks like it might end badly for me. Thanks for sharing!

I did not open them but they're molded so nicely, they almost LOOK open. I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to do it though.