Model Cars Magazine Forum

Magnus Walker “277” Porsche 911

Having recently discovered Magnus Walker and his Porsches, after purchasing the Hot Wheels model of his best known car, the 1971 Porsche 911, aka the 277, I got an urge to build the said car in 1/24. That said, I found the decals and wheels to replicate the car, but I am not certain a 1/24 kit of the Porsche in question exists. I’m thinking Fujimi, but not sure… Any pointers regarding which kit is best to replicate the 277 Magnus Walker Porsche would be greatly appreciated! 

https://stanceworks.com/2014/09/some-cars-go-and-others-stay-magnus-walkers-1971-porsche-911-277/

IMG_3597.thumb.jpeg.fd24b61cd4bff100b26ff41dfb24d0a7.jpeg

• Like 1

The Fujimi '73 Carrera RS would be the best starting point, I guess. I'm not all that familiar with the cars as I am with North American ones.

Not sure if it's been reissued or not.

Fujimi 1/24 Porsche 911 Carrera RS '73 (Fujimi Real Sports Car Series  RS-26) - Argama Hobby - Toronto - Canada

The '69 911S and the '67 911r have both been re-released in the last couple years but all are hard to find though.

Fujimi 12668 Porsche 911S Coupe 1969 | Menzels Lokschuppen Onlineshop

Fujimi 1/24 Scale Kit RS-121 Porsche 911R Coupe '67 : Amazon.ca: Everything  Else

• Like 1

Yeah, I have the 73 Carrera RS, and I guess that would indeed be the best starting point. It would require reworking the rear end, however, and finding mirrors to match the 277. The problem is, the 73 RS is probably my favorite Porsche ever, and I really want to build the boxart car, or a green spec one. I might just have to get another one for the Magnus Walker car 🙈

Just be aware the 911s through '68 have a roughly 2" shorter wheelbase, evident between the rear door edge and the front of the rear wheel opening.

Walker's 277 is the longer wheelbase, which started life as a '71 T.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY and ACCURACY
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, PowerPlant said:

So, the 73 Carrera RS would be a good donor? 

Yes. Probably the best.

Walker's car has the RS air dam and appears to have RS rear flares as well; they're not standard '71 T.

Walker's 277 does not run the RS ducktail decklid, but as all the Fujimi 911 decks interchange, you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding a stock one...though you'd still have to do the louvers.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I beleive hobby design or scale production in germany do a trans kit to build one of the magnus wlker cars but i'm not sure which car.

I guess this would be it:

https://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p2376_911--outlaw--engine-cover.html

They also sell the decals, so that’s convenient! 

5 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yes. Probably the best.

Walker's car has the RS air dam and appears to have RS rear flares as well; they're not standard '71 T.

Is there anything else aside from the engine cover, sideview mirrors, and wheels that would need to be changed for the Magnus Walker car? 

The Fujimi 911R, '73 RS and the Rally all include the same body with no flare at the front and a small flare at the rear.  The roll bar is only included in the Rally kit but can be scratch built.

IMG 0176-vi

However the '73 RS is the only kit that includes a front bumper/valance that is similar to the Magnus car.

Edited by afx

OK, I have all 3 kits in my post above and just checked them out. 

The '67 r does have a roll bar and flat engine cover. 

The '67 and '73 both have a pair of racing seats but neither set is like the ones in the pic above. Possibly one of the "Fast and Furious" tuner kits might have a similar set.

All 3, the '67, '69 and the '73 bodies seem to have the same wheelbase. At least the wheel openings all line up with each other perfectly.

I guess this means either the '73 or the other 2 have an incorrect wheelbase.

Matija, if you want to see pics of the parts trees, let me know and I'll take some and post them here tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

All 3, the '67, '69 and the '73 bodies seem to have the same wheelbase. At least the wheel openings all line up with each other perfectly.

I guess that means they only tooled the long wheelbase, as it's the most common, and they probably figgered nobody would notice, being only a little more than 2mm in scale. It is, however, very noticeable on the real cars.

Porsche 911 through 1968:      87.0 inch wheelbase

Porsche 911, 1969 - 1971:          89.29 inch wheelbase

1972:       89.4 inches

On 7/14/2023 at 2:41 AM, Can-Con said:

OK, I have all 3 kits in my post above and just checked them out. 

The '67 r does have a roll bar and flat engine cover. 

The '67 and '73 both have a pair of racing seats but neither set is like the ones in the pic above. Possibly one of the "Fast and Furious" tuner kits might have a similar set.

Matija, if you want to see pics of the parts trees, let me know and I'll take some and post them here tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind offer, but I don’t think pics will be necessary. I do have the 73 Carrera RS, and it seems that’s what I’ll be going with. Scale Production of Germany has the decklid, sideview mirrors, wheels and decals for the Magnus Walker car, and I’m pretty sure I can source racing seats that will be close enough, and improvise/scratchbuild the rollbar. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 3:02 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I guess that means they only tooled the long wheelbase, as it's the most common, and they probably figgered nobody would notice, being only a little more than 2mm in scale. It is, however, very noticeable on the real cars.

Porsche 911 through 1968:      87.0 inch wheelbase

Porsche 911, 1969 - 1971:          89.29 inch wheelbase

1972:       89.4 inches

So, do the Fujimi kits have the correct wheelbase for the Magnus Walker car?

You'd think Fujimi could do a parts box mashup and issue a licensed 277 kit with the decals and everything. They should have the tools to make this car without a lot of trouble. I think Walker has run this car with and without a ducktail lid, but I can't remember for sure. I bought the rally 73 RS and the Testor's boxing of the regular 73 RS and the decals from China but now I have to get the motivation to do something.