Model Cars Magazine Forum

Strange Result Stripping Chrome

Just tried stripping chrome on a Monogram Duesenberg.   I used bleach as I have dozens of times before. But this is my first Monogram gluebomb. This time it left a white colored residue that could be scraped off with my fingernail. Didn't leave the residue everywhere. Only on certain areas of different parts.. Does anybody have a clue? Thanks.

if its bleach it should wash off with a water and bleach solution. once the bleach softens you can then wash it with clean water to remove the residue. an old toothbrush works great for the corners and grilles to get it all out of the cravases. when you use bleach to strip chrome its best to clean it while its still wet or you get it crystalising. if its on a larger flat area you can remove it with greaseproof cooking paper which also works great to remove limescale non porous metals

That is little weird must be a bleach thing. I use 100% lye takes chrome off in bout 20-30 secs. I then use a stripper to remove the under layer varnish. Method I’ve used for awhile basically fool proof. 

Have to be careful with super clean though. If it doesn’t strip it 100%(I have had chrome where superclean wouldn’t touch the varnish even 2 days of soaking)  it’ll stain the varnish purple reason I stopped using it. It strips the chrome cause it has 5 or so percent lye in it. It just depends on the kit chrome, but super clean does work so not knocking it. It’s cheaper route than the method I use. Even though a pound of lye cost like $6. My method I’ll have a whole kit of chrome stripped in half a hour chrome and varnish. 

Edited by Dpate

3 hours ago, Dpate said:

Have to be careful with super clean though. If it doesn’t strip it 100%(I have had chrome where superclean wouldn’t touch the varnish even 2 days of soaking)  it’ll stain the varnish purple reason I stopped using it. It strips the chrome cause it has 5 or so percent lye in it. It just depends on the kit chrome, but super clean does work so not knocking it. It’s cheaper route than the method I use. Even though a pound of lye cost like $6. My method I’ll have a whole kit of chrome stripped in half a hour chrome and varnish. 

I've considered straight lye, but I need to get through this gallon of Super Clean, first! As far as I have found, it's pretty efficient at removing most everything except flat black, for some reason.