Model Cars Magazine Forum

1981 Ford F150 Ranger Explorer styleside

I worked on this a while.  Replica of my 1:1.  Started with the Revell step side kit.   The underhood of that kit is completely incorrect for that generation.  It is correct for the dent side trucks though.  

I ordered a resin trans and steelie wheels with dog dish caps.  Can't remember where at this point.   That's what was on the truck when I started the build.  But I found real alloys, then found a set of kit wheels in my junk. 

For the bed, I traded around for a Bronco body.  Cut it down from the back corner forward to make the bed sides.  Bed inside and tail gate is from an old monogram dually.

It's close enough to my real truck to suit me and everyone sees it knows what it is.  

IMG_20230321_164032535.jpg

IMG_20230321_164039320.jpg

IMG_20230321_164056577.jpg

IMG_20230321_164108897.jpg

IMG_20230321_164128024.jpg

IMG_20230321_164137451.jpg

FB_IMG_1687201974512.jpg

• Like 11

Always fun to build a model of your own vehicle. Wasn't sure about the paint finish until I saw the picture of your truck, they look the same. Like how you used parts from so many different sources, and they all look like they are from the same kit. Just need a couple of Moon Eyes decals to be complete. I'll mail you a couple if needed. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, espo said:

Always fun to build a model of your own vehicle. Wasn't sure about the paint finish until I saw the picture of your truck, they look the same. Like how you used parts from so many different sources, and they all look like they are from the same kit. Just need a couple of Moon Eyes decals to be complete. I'll mail you a couple if needed. 

Thanks for the offer, but I found those and the Mr Horsepower decals in an old monogram 32 Ford roadster kit.  I put those on just this week.  

Thanks for the compliments on paint.  I painted it kinda like the real truck, i.e. two tone blue, then crappy solid blue on top of that.  My truck was either painted at Maaco or in a back yard before I got it.  It's awful so I couldn't really mess up the model paint.  

I love paint like this though.  You can't mess it up. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

You nailed the look my friend.  Thanks for bring us up to date.

Thanks.  There's a few more than these.  The RoG Porsche 917 KH, AMT 51 Chevy.  Probably a couple more?  

Hope all is well with you.  And everyone else too.  I don't have computer access and looking on phone is a little harder.  Trying to get back in the habit though

2 hours ago, AlbertS said:

Good job, and nice work.  I am hopeful that Moeibus is going to continue their collection of Ford Pickups, and eventually put one of these out.  

This generation is a major change from the dent side years so it will take a whole new tool I would say.  Frame and underhood are completely different as well as the body and interior.  

But yes, if they make it, I would buy it.  

5 hours ago, dragcarz said:

I really like this Randy, love the Kit bashing, I never would have thought about using Bronco quarters for bed sides! Looks great.

I messed about with several ideas, but the Bronco is related in kit form and real form.  The space from axle to rear of truck is correct so you have to figure up where to cut the Bronco body and how to fill it back in.  But if I can do it, most anyone that owns a razor saw should be able to do it better.  

Changing from 4wd to 2wd was a bigger challenge, if not a harder part.  But I used the dually kit there as well.  The dually (bricknose generation) is pretty closely related to the 80-86 other than the interior is much nicer than the bullnose trucks. 

• 1 month later...