Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped 59 El Camino custom Update!

Ferbz

2 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I knew a few guys in my club some years back, they swore by Plastic Wood. I thought it was too coarse to use. Does it sand out smoothly? I'm using Bondo or 3M spot putty, less is more of this product. How much does the PW shrink?

I've been using the Plastic Wood for over 20yrs now. And while it seems the formula has changed over the years, it's still a product that I trust when needing to do major custom body modifications. It doesn't shrink or swell, which is one of the main reasons why I like it. Another reason why I like it is that I dont have to fiddle with a separate hardener or wait hours for it to harden. With proper paint prep my lacquer paint jobs don't affect it at all. My process involves thinning it very slightly with acetone so it spreads nicely. It doesn't take very long to harden; I would say within half hour to an hour I start to knock it down and shape it with 180 grit. Once I have it rough shaped, I start to fine tune it with finer grits stepping down quickly with 240 and/or 320 and 400. You're right about the coarseness in the sense that it will need primer and some glazing putty here and there (I've used both the red bondo brand spot putty and the green 3M glazing putty for this) to remove pin holes and fine sanding scratches, which I find I would have to do whether I used Plastic Wood for custom mods or not. With any technique or product you have to spend time with it and learn how it works and how you can get it to work for you. I guess Plastic Wood 'resonates' with me since it's been my go-to filler all these years. Here's a pic I posted in another thread where I show a little step by step on how I used Plastic Wood to shape and form frenched Buick headlights on a Merc and the end result:BuickLights.jpg20230529_114356.jpg

Edited by Ferbz
  • Like 3

On 10/3/2023 at 8:10 PM, geemoney said:

great work here

the tremayne merc ia amazing

Thanks! With the Tremayne Merc I learned that building scale replicas are tough! There is an extra amount of pressure to get the details as accurate as possible. I gave it my best effort and am pleased overall with the outcome, but I won't be doing another replica anytime soon! lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chopped El Camino update! Final primer coat was block wet sanded, the top was masked with black BMF, and Sonic Blue guitar lacquer base coat was sprayed. The BMF left adhesive residue on the top when I peeled it off 🤨 Anybody know what would be a safe way to remove the residue? The top will eventually sprayed black and candy fades with pearl is planned over the blue base coat. For the interior, it was painted white pearl, black spark plug wire was used for piping, and felt material was cut to into shapes and glued into place for carpet. Paint detailing the dash, gluing it into place, then gluing the steering wheel and shifter should finish off the interior. For the body, once the base coat cures completely, wet color sanding will commence then the candy fades will get airbrushed. Wish me luck! lol

20231021_104532.jpg

20231021_104608.jpg

20231023_095639.jpg

20231023_095730.jpg

20231023_095750.jpg

20231023_095828.jpg

Edited by Ferbz
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, espo said:

Like the interior. As for the metal foil residue, I have used Tamiya 20A Thinner on a Q-Tip with some success. This is one of the reasons I don't use it as a masking tape. 

Thanks! I dont normally use it as a masking material, but I've used it in the past with adequate results. I think part of the problem is that the black BMF I used is REALLY old lol I may try that Tamiya thinner once the paint cures!

On 10/23/2023 at 1:41 PM, Ferbz said:

The BMF left adhesive residue on the top when I peeled it off 🤨 Anybody know what would be a safe way to remove the residue?

Goo Gone works. Lighter fluid, even Coleman lantern fuel will also work well.  These are all hydrotreated light petroleum distillates as are mineral spirits, varsol, naptha, and Testors enamel thinner. Light fluid works well as a thinner for enamels; it evaporates more quickly than plain old mineral spirits.

Use a Q-tip.

Never tried Tamiya X-20a. It is about half and half water and alcohol.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Goo Gone works. Lighter fluid, even Coleman lantern fuel will also work well.  These are all hydrotreated light petroleum distillates as are mineral spirits, varsol, naptha, and Testors enamel thinner. Light fluid works well as a thinner for enamels; it evaporates more quickly than plain old mineral spirits.

Use a Q-tip.

Never tried Tamiya X-20a. It is about half and half water and alcohol.

cheers, Graham

Thanks for all the info! I was thinking of Goo Gone, actually. Also, auto wax and grease remover. Experiment time!

• 2 weeks later...

A little update: Paintwork on the body is progressing! I've been able to airbrush the nail polish fades, pearl, and clearcoat. I must say painting fades is really fun....but really tough to do! At least for me lol I made a conscious effort this time to build up the fades slowly and as evenly as I could. It usually ends up looking heavy handed to me though due to having to add more and more passes to get the fades to look even and consistent. It's STILL not as even and as nice as I wanted lol Maybe someday I will have done enough of these kinds of paintjobs that I'll end up with the quality I see in my mind! I'm happy with it for now tho as it did not completely blow up on me and the overall impression that I wanted is there....I'll take my wins whenever I can get them! 😊 The next step is to mask off the top and paint it gloss black after this initial pass cures. And thanks to all who posted suggestions on how to remove the BMF adhesive residue from the top! I ended up using auto wax and grease remover very sparingly, gingerly, and carefully 😀

20231106_094530.jpg

20231106_094737.jpg

Edited by Ferbz
  • Like 9

42 minutes ago, Dan Hay said:

That fade looks pretty good from where I'm sittin'!  You sure Winfield himself didn't shoot that?  😁

Ha! I'm convinced it probably looks better in pics than in real life but thanks anyway lol Speaking of Gene Winfield, I really don't understand how he's been able to get his fades so nice and even in such a large (1:1 scale) format! Same goes for all those full scale custom painters out there that are good at doing fades and blends 😎

• Like 1