Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yenko Camaro Update

Plasticated Guy

I got this in the mail this week.

20230812_091627.thumb.jpg.d5701c0297a78820c24aec9e572979cd.jpg

I plan on using some parts for this.

20230812_091654.thumb.jpg.86776fb55ba02143c75e47d968833b7a.jpg

The original kit had pitted chrome, scratched up clear parts, and yellowed decals. The parts list will be like this.

Engine: original kit except for the valve covers.

Chassis: original kit except for the wheels and tires. The tires will be the Firestone wide ovals from the Revell 1970 Firebird.

Interior: original.

Body: new.

I also still have a decent original decal sheet so I will be combining them.

I also now have a spare 427 engine. The 302 that was originally going to go into my custom black Camaro is built, though. Decisions, decisions. 🤔😄

• Like 1

Any of the Yenko Camaro colors are pretty nice. But I'll agree that the Daytona Yellow is definitely at the top of the list. I've got a spray can that's hopefully close enough. I actually saw a can of Daytona Yellow at an automotive store but unfortunately it was a ceramic for engines. And I don't want to destroy this car. 

• Like 1

100_5673.jpg.384e72b187cba3fde4029ddb3d6a7174.jpg

4 hours ago, Plasticated Guy said:

Any of the Yenko Camaro colors are pretty nice. But I'll agree that the Daytona Yellow is definitely at the top of the list. I've got a spray can that's hopefully close enough. I actually saw a can of Daytona Yellow at an automotive store but unfortunately it was a ceramic for engines. And I don't want to destroy this car. 

I use engine paints all the time. Duplicolor. They have several shades of black that I like to use. A low gloss one that has a nice stain look to it. It dries fast so it keeps the dirt and dust out of it. Not a great pic, but this car from the movie Gladiator that I built is all Duplicolor black engine paint. Just put a good coat of primer under it and it will be fine. 

Edited by dwc43

7 hours ago, Plasticated Guy said:

That Charger looks pretty slick, D.W. Did you use Duplicolor primer or a different brand?

Thanks. The Charger is the bag guy's car from the '86 movie Gladiator. It stared Ken Wahl, Nancy Allen, Robert Culp, Rick Dees and Stan Shaw.  I am working on the GMC now, but I may build Nancy Allen's '61 'vette too.    The Gladiator (1986 film) - Wikipedia

That Camaro in the pics has a Chevy engine paint color on it too. I try to use the same name brands on everything I paint. It reduces the chance of having things clash and causing a repaint. So, yes, same brand primer. If you use their gray primer, I have noticed they have different shades of it. Some darker than others. And htey still have the old red oxide primer too.

115804209_305175237391590_7420740967143931001_n.jpg

46381633.3533.jpg

t391497.jpg

299043-chevy1-6.jpg1.jpg

72410398.1083 (1).jpg