Model Cars Magazine Forum

review of '57 T-Bird, 1/25 scale, w/ photos

fiatboy

On 8/31/2023 at 9:07 PM, JollySipper said:

I wonder what all would be needed to build a more detailed model of this kit....... The Y-block could come from the Revell '57 Ford, but what about a more detailed chassis? Maybe shorten the chassis from the same '57 Ford?

The AMT '57 hardtop has an excellent Y block and speed equipment too and the factory three speed and I need to dig one of mine out but I seem to think it might have an overdrive solenoid on it too. Another source for a Y block would be the original Revell '56 Ford pickup it's a stock only but does have the funky front crossover pipe that the Y block engines were noted for.

I wish someone would produce the parts to get make the Bonneville Salt racing version with all the streaming stuff added (and removed) that would be perfect for the 429 "Shotgun" with two fours and it would probably fit under the factory hood without a added hood bubble for it.

On 9/1/2023 at 12:07 AM, JollySipper said:

I wonder what all would be needed to build a more detailed model of this kit....... The Y-block could come from the Revell '57 Ford, but what about a more detailed chassis? Maybe shorten the chassis from the same '57 Ford?

No, the 57 Ford is a totally different chassis. You could use the AMT 56 Thunderbird chassis or even the AMT 56 Ford but that one would not have the center "X" member.

Also, with some surgery you could remove the front bumper from the grill on the 57, trim the bumper to clear the fenders and use the '56 Thunderbird grill, same grill. Now I never checked scale accuracies but the front clip from the 56 can be swapped and use the 57 bumper.

As seen by the comparison pics, the parking light holes are the only difference in the front clip. Gray car is a 57, red is a 56

00k0k_gX0UMiUwEkN_1200x900.jpg

007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 2:14 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

How about the chassis from the AMT 56 Bird?

Craig...Wondered about that myself....the AMT-Ertl '56 American Graffiti TB is actually a really nice model other than the misshapen Y-block...and as noted above, the Revell '57 Custom Tudor/Wagon kit series can address that issue....TB 

Edited by tim boyd

On 9/18/2023 at 8:09 PM, tim boyd said:

Craig...Wondered about that myself....the AMT-Ertl '56 American Graffiti TB is actually a really nice model other than the misshapen Y-block...and as noted above, the Revell '57 Custom Tudor/Wagon kit series can address that issue....TB 

It does have a nice chassis. The floor pan would probably have to be narrowed down to fit though. The 56 (kit) body is a little wider than the 57. I actually used a number of 57 Engine parts on my 56.

IMG_9628rt_2-vi (1).jpg

IMG_9667rt-vi (2).jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

As mentioned earlier, this is the "recipe card" developed when the MK AFX re-releases of the crude-but-classic AMT Funny Cars were finally hitting shelves in the late 00's. Now, the kits are quite common, and bag kits of the Falcon (thanks to the drag team re-release) are very common. As a word of caution/warning, time has not been kind to the charming '57 tool, but, we are not replicating a Grand National Roadster Show champion, either. It's clear to me looking at the list that the team tasked with pumping life into the ancient '57 T-Bird tool (in 1969, 8 years was a lifetime) just rummaged a stack of then-current drag kits to build a mockup for the pitch meeting, knowing the inserts could either be separated or cloned quickly and easily. For a while, bagged Comet/Mustang/Falcon kits were common online and at club nights, as the builders would strip out the bodies for hardbody slot cars.  Reading down the list, looks to me like a surplus falcon from a Drag Team re-issue gets you nearly all the way home.  Good luck, and build on!

Here Come De Judge Replica List

Many parts for this rare and classic kit were sourced from existing AMT kit parts, but some were created specifically for HCDJ. You will need to fabricate these parts or substitute from parts box or scratch build. Falcon, Comet and Mustang Tempest and Nova all refer to the AMT Funny Car versions

Engine:

Block/trans:                                    Included latest R2 57 T-Bird release.  If building HCDJ from a non-R2 release,  Comet/Falcon/Mustang is close with slight tailshaft trim. Willys gasser has a  very accurate C-6 which would be more realistic.

Heads/valve covers:                       Ohio George 33 Willys

Manifold/Injectors:                          Falcon/Mustang, ‘69 Galaxie most releases

Cam Cover:                                     Falcon/Mustang

Magneto:                                       Comet/Falcon/Mustang

Headers:                                        Included current release. If building HCDJ from a non-R2 issue, Comet headers are correct. Falcon/Mustang are more common, but 2-pc.

Not in kits:                                     Breathers (circular in HCDJ, ’66 Galaxie may be close; Megaphones for headers, two-pulley fan belt – substituted with similar scrap box parts.) Chassis:

Front Springs:                                Comet semi elliptic

Front Axle:                                     Nova / Tempest; Mustang/Falcon close if cross spring removed.Traction bars:                                 AMT ’55 Nomad, Mustang

Wheelie Bars:                                 Comet, Falcon

Shocks:                                          Mustang, Falcon (close, need slight mods)

Rear Wheels:                                  Annual and RC2 (‘open gates’) releases of the ‘69 Galaxie have deep rings to go with stock 'open wheel' centers  

Tires:                                              AMT “Bluestreak” 1-pc. Vinyl, many kits ; 2-pc AMT piecrust type many kits.                                                 

Decals:                                           MK 1969 “Judge” Funny Car

• Like 2

On 1/5/2024 at 6:28 PM, Ragtop Man said:

As mentioned earlier, this is the "recipe card" developed when the MK AFX re-releases of the crude-but-classic AMT Funny Cars were finally hitting shelves in the late 00's. Now, the kits are quite common, and bag kits of the Falcon (thanks to the drag team re-release) are very common. As a word of caution/warning, time has not been kind to the charming '57 tool, but, we are not replicating a Grand National Roadster Show champion, either. It's clear to me looking at the list that the team tasked with pumping life into the ancient '57 T-Bird tool (in 1969, 8 years was a lifetime) just rummaged a stack of then-current drag kits to build a mockup for the pitch meeting, knowing the inserts could either be separated or cloned quickly and easily. For a while, bagged Comet/Mustang/Falcon kits were common online and at club nights, as the builders would strip out the bodies for hardbody slot cars.  Reading down the list, looks to me like a surplus falcon from a Drag Team re-issue gets you nearly all the way home.  Good luck, and build on!

Here Come De Judge Replica List

Many parts for this rare and classic kit were sourced from existing AMT kit parts, but some were created specifically for HCDJ. You will need to fabricate these parts or substitute from parts box or scratch build. Falcon, Comet and Mustang Tempest and Nova all refer to the AMT Funny Car versions

Engine:

Block/trans:                                    Included latest R2 57 T-Bird release.  If building HCDJ from a non-R2 release,  Comet/Falcon/Mustang is close with slight tailshaft trim. Willys gasser has a  very accurate C-6 which would be more realistic.

Heads/valve covers:                       Ohio George 33 Willys

Manifold/Injectors:                          Falcon/Mustang, ‘69 Galaxie most releases

Cam Cover:                                     Falcon/Mustang

Magneto:                                       Comet/Falcon/Mustang

Headers:                                        Included current release. If building HCDJ from a non-R2 issue, Comet headers are correct. Falcon/Mustang are more common, but 2-pc.

Not in kits:                                     Breathers (circular in HCDJ, ’66 Galaxie may be close; Megaphones for headers, two-pulley fan belt – substituted with similar scrap box parts.) Chassis:

Front Springs:                                Comet semi elliptic

Front Axle:                                     Nova / Tempest; Mustang/Falcon close if cross spring removed.Traction bars:                                 AMT ’55 Nomad, Mustang

Wheelie Bars:                                 Comet, Falcon

Shocks:                                          Mustang, Falcon (close, need slight mods)

Rear Wheels:                                  Annual and RC2 (‘open gates’) releases of the ‘69 Galaxie have deep rings to go with stock 'open wheel' centers  

Tires:                                              AMT “Bluestreak” 1-pc. Vinyl, many kits ; 2-pc AMT piecrust type many kits.                                                 

Decals:                                           MK 1969 “Judge” Funny Car

FWIW, the marks for hood hole for the HCTJ version  are still present, as are the marks for hogging the rear wheel wells for slicks (this is one of the 90's versions of the kit, I assume this hasn't changed?).  In the old "Vegas" '57 T-bird, short shots of the HCTJ front radius rods were present.  Since the front springs of the Comet and Falcon are sort of small, maybe the front springs from the 33 Willys would work better?

20240109_153813.jpg.11a07ababdb04c215ed90d10b16a131a.jpg      20240109_153826.jpg.e316c427bbaa4214d28f7fbd07776c55.jpg

Stay tuned for a detailed review of the AMT 57 T-Bird on this forum, as I have a current Round2 issue on hand, and photographed. The write-up is nearly complete, and I'll be dropping it in the next couple of days. It will include a full description of the newly recovered past parts, and a bit of history. (A future edition of the Vintage Workbench will dive deeper into that.) This build features the AMT Parts Pack Wire Wheels, and the excellent Drag City Casting porthole top.

2v2egc442xQKCP.jpg

2v2egc4VjxQKCP.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 1

I would not be shocked to see the "Here Comes the Judge" variation coming out. I have been led to believe the latest issue has the 427 block and headers in the kit. Anyone that may have the latest issue correct me if I am wrong.

4 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I would not be shocked to see the "Here Comes the Judge" variation coming out. I have been led to believe the latest issue has the 427 block and headers in the kit. Anyone that may have the latest issue correct me if I am wrong.

It does indeed have the 427 block and headers. I'll be posting the complete review tomorrow (Friday).

• Like 1

I would imagine that the molds over the years have seen better days. I need to pull out my OG kit and see how it looks.

I have one that was issued in the small box. I built the big box version around 1963.

2 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I have one that was issued in the small box. I built the big box version around 1963.

You have one in the skinny boxes like Trophy Series kits came in? Those are very rare. I've only seen photos by (I believe) Dennis Doty. Can you share some pics here?

5 hours ago, Motor City said:

How would you remove the cement without damaging the body or breaking small pieces such as headlight lenses and engine parts? 

You'd be surprized what you can do with a dremel, a pin drill, a skinny screwdriver, and some patience.