Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trevor Bayne GEN6 Wood Brothers Ford Fusion 2014

gami8630

The car I built for this project is a Ford Fusion that competed in the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup. The driver is Trevor Bayne and the team is Wood Brothers Racing, one of the oldest teams in NASCAR, which has maintained a good relationship with Ford since its formation and is famous for using the number 21 for many years.

Base kit is Revell's "SnapTite Max" kit "FORD FUSION", and the body is painted with the basic paint of Brad Keselowski, number 2.
This is a snap kit for youngsters, similar to AMT's base kit, of which I have posted three examples so far.
As such, the interior has been simplified and the engine has been omitted.
The chassis is also used from the snap kits of the GEN4 cars of the 90s, so the roll cage, dashboard, racing seats, window nets, etc. have been modified to meet the GEN6 Cup Car regulations, either by self-made from plastic or by using parts from other nascar kits. The modifications have been made to the minimum extent possible.

Speaking of Wood Brothers, as shown in the last picture (1968 Mercury Cyclone), two-tone red and white body paint and number 21 are the standard, so I ordered decals from "Mike's Decals" as usual.

I didn't spend much time on this build, so the finished product is not that great, but the simple but flashy red-white two-tone color scheme seems to have covered it.

fusion_2014_01.jpg

fusion_2014_02.jpg

fusion_2014_03.jpg

fusion_2014_04.jpg

fusion_2014_05.jpg

fusion_2014_06.jpg

fusion_2014_07.jpg

l_1968-cale-yarborough.jpg

Edited by gami8630
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Some nice work reworking the snap kit!!!  Well done! 

When I was at the Wood's shop in 2019 the 500 winner was on display......................

Thanks, Dave.

Recently, I have been having a lot of fun modifying snap kits to make them more realistic.

I live in Japan and would eventually like to visit the Wood Brothers Racing Museum.

13 hours ago, randman said:

Great job.  With some minor modifications these kits build up nice.

Thanks, randman.

Both AMT's CoT Impala snap kit and Revell's GEN6 Fusion snap kit that I built this time were fun to modify because the body shape reproduces the image of the real car very well.

• Like 1

Excellent very clean job, Yoshimi. Everything looks just right, and you took a very basic kit and refined it nicely. Hope someday you can make that trip to Virginia to visit the Wood Brothers shop. The summer of 2000 we made a trip to North Carolina to visit the Bill Davis Shop, The Hendrick Motorsports shop and the "Garagemahol" D.E.I. incorporated shop. I missed seeing Ward Burton by one day at the Bill Davis shop but Tommy Baldwin gave us free reign to walk around the shop and get up close and personal with the mechanics while they worked on the 22 and 93 Pontiac Grand Prix's. I dont think you can get access like that anymore, but you never know. Those are memorys I will never forget.

19 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Excellent very clean job, Yoshimi. Everything looks just right, and you took a very basic kit and refined it nicely. Hope someday you can make that trip to Virginia to visit the Wood Brothers shop. The summer of 2000 we made a trip to North Carolina to visit the Bill Davis Shop, The Hendrick Motorsports shop and the "Garagemahol" D.E.I. incorporated shop. I missed seeing Ward Burton by one day at the Bill Davis shop but Tommy Baldwin gave us free reign to walk around the shop and get up close and personal with the mechanics while they worked on the 22 and 93 Pontiac Grand Prix's. I dont think you can get access like that anymore, but you never know. Those are memorys I will never forget.

Thanks, MarkJ.

At this point, it is quite difficult for me, as a Japanese, to realize the opportunity to visit NASCAR-related stores and museums in the United States.
Eventually, I would like to visit the "NASCAR Hall of Fame".

8 hours ago, gami8630 said:

Thanks, MarkJ.

At this point, it is quite difficult for me, as a Japanese, to realize the opportunity to visit NASCAR-related stores and museums in the United States.
Eventually, I would like to visit the "NASCAR Hall of Fame".

Yes, it would be too difficult for me to make that trip as well. Gotten too old for it. glad I did it back then.

2 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I have to look for those kits, I have a snap Earnhardt Jr car I have started. The tires on those are extra nice. 

Thanks, bobss396.

Please post in this forum when Earnhardt Jr's kit is complete.
I do like the realistic shape of the tires.
My kit has the tires turned inside out with the Powerslide logo on them.
The GOODYEAR EAGLE logo design has changed many times over the years, so it is part of the fun to look closely at images of the actual car to find the correct logo.

Edited by gami8630

• 5 months later...