Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ohio George Montgomery's MultiMaverick - Sentimental Build

rastta

I've been building models since the late sixties.  I have only ever entered two contests -  when I was In 7th and 8th grade (72-73) I took 3rd overall in 7th and took first in 8th.  The model I won with was the MulitMaverick!  It was a pretty unique car at the time and figured it would help me out because of the adjustable wheelbase etc.  I was really into lime green at the time and went with that color. I decided to wire the spark plugs using my moms sewing thread, and wire up the brakes using bread twist ties which I removed the paper. 

I was curious to see if I could find it again and found the re-release of the model and decided to do it again - but with about 50 years more experience.  🙂  Went with lime green again - Testors Extreme Lacquer and wet look clear - although back then I'm sure it was enamel with no clear coat.  Also went with a pre-wired distributor and scale wire for the brake lines. Built it so I can change the wheelbase and swap fenders.  Was fun going down memory lane and I'm quite happy with the results.  Now I just need to get that old trophy out of a box in the attic.

IMG_3238 (2).JPG

IMG_3239 (2).JPG

IMG_3241 (2).JPG

IMG_3242 (2).JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3249 (2).JPG

IMG_3250 (2).JPG

IMG_3253 (2).JPG

IMG_3254.JPG

IMG_3255 (2).JPG

IMG_3257.JPG

IMG_3258.JPG

Edited by rastta
  • Like 5

Joe, I totally love the car - but I love the story better! After about a forty year hiatus, I wound up jumping back into model building off of nothing more than an old black & white photo of my younger brother playing with a '32 Ford pickup I did as a kid. I guess the years make us nostalgic :) 

• Like 1

I too, love the story about this build. Beautiful build, you did a great job! Love the color. I also started building in the 60s, quit when I got my first real car, and started building again sporadically in the 80s. I now build as often as time allows and I think I enjoy it more now than when I was younger.

Thanks for all the kind words!  As with many others - I stopped building in my late teens, right before I went to college.  Picked it up again many years later, and then upon retirement, got into it big time.   Something about it just makes me feel good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Force said:

Nice work
I just wish someone would do correct decals for it.

Sure it was in magazines at the time - but honestly back in the day - I thought the graphics were correct because it was on the box like that.  In looking at the real deal - the whole kit isn't correct to a certain degree.  Still a fun build though.

22 hours ago, rastta said:

Sure it was in magazines at the time - but honestly back in the day - I thought the graphics were correct because it was on the box like that.  In looking at the real deal - the whole kit isn't correct to a certain degree.  Still a fun build though.

Nice work. 

Your right about the kit being incorrect.

Bob Crozier did a good job correcting the errors. 

RIP Ohio George.

Bob Crozier interior.jpg

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...