Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lacquer thinner in plastic

They should be made of material that is resistant to solvents. Most well-stocked hobby shops that sell Paasche airbrushes will be able to set you up with glass bottles and a metal lid/siphon assembly if you prefer. 

• Like 1

I have both the glass for my H and plastic for my VL and soaked both with acetone without issue. I've shot enamel thinned with LT for years, I use either interchangeably. The only thing with the glass they are heavier and you can see inside them. But otherwise they perform equally.

Edit: If you've seen the Onyx 100% acetone bottles the ladies use to strip lacquer nail polish off their nails, that's a similar type of plastic as the Paasche bottles. But the Paasche plastic bottles are whiter and thicker/more ridged. Solvent does nothing to them.

Edited by Dave G.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Do these bottles have the triangular recycling symbol somewhere on them (likely on the bottom)?  What number is in it?  I suspect they are safe for acetone, lacquer thinner and similar solvents.

The only thing on my plastic Paasche bottles is a seam line.

If those bottles are translucent milky plastic then they are likely safe for solvents like acetone.  If they are glass clear then I would test them first. I suspect that whatever plastic the manufacturer used will be safe with organic solvents used in paints.