Model Cars Magazine Forum

I’ve started building after a long break. Need advice.

I bought an Optivisor (good quality magnifier often seen used by jewelers) back in my 30's when my eyes were still excellent.   I tried using it for some modeling tasks and found it very awkward. My naked eyes were quite up to the task without any magnification.  fast forward few decades and now I couldn't do any modeling without that Optivisor. I'm addicted to it.  Mine has a #7 lens plate which is fairly strong.  When I don't need such high magnification, I just cheap reading glasses from a dollar store. I have 2.00 and 2.50 and those work well for me.  In the meantime I also went to optometrist and got fitted for real reading glasses.  Of course those work well too. I usually wear the glasses under my Optivisor.  Optivisor's design is to me better than many other inexpensive ones because it shields the ambient light.  I don't care for the magnifiers which just hang the lenses  in front of your face.  Plus the Oprivisor has  removable lens plates, so you can easily switch between different magnification factors.

Don't forget good  illumination for your workbench - it is as important as good magnification.

Thanks for the replies people ❤️ I received my visor yesterday. I was bummed at first because it won’t fit with my glasses on but damn, I tried the 3.5x lens and hallelujah I can see!! The magnification is big and clear! 
$26 with a $3 coupon from Amazon. Best money I’ve spent in a long while!

675816F2-5D69-4029-BDD7-F105E02AD0B2.jpeg.12bf3a690d3a4c88f35cafbc654e888e.jpeg

• Like 1