Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Ferrari F355

Nacho Z

2 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Car modelers, generally speaking, are cheap.  A roll of Tamiya tape is about $5.  I don't think $1.50 in tape is excessive...lol.

And your time is no doubt valuable enough that trying to scrub overspray off that nice paintjob would be a waste…

Great looking build so far!  I remember seeing the Goldeneye Bond movie as a kid and falling in love with this car aged whatever I was then…it’s still on my to-build list now

I love blue Ferraris and really enjoyed watching that color build up on your build!

Looking at the parts layout in your first post it looks like this kit may have been a rework of a 348 kit. So creating a body that goes together similar to what they already had could be why they chose the separate parts they way they did. Your work on it paid off though and I think the body work looks excellent.

17 hours ago, CabDriver said:

And your time is no doubt valuable enough that trying to scrub overspray off that nice paintjob would be a waste…

Great looking build so far!  I remember seeing the Goldeneye Bond movie as a kid and falling in love with this car aged whatever I was then…it’s still on my to-build list now

Jim, you are absolutely right.  I can airbrush all day long and not slip or begin the paint flow too soon, but that one time I try to lay down paint in a tight area is the time that I will screw up and paint everything within a 2 foot area…lol.

Do you have the kit in your stash?  I’m not sure how easy they are to find.  I found mine at a model show for $20, I believe.  I sure would love to see more of these built.

17 hours ago, Toast said:

I love blue Ferraris and really enjoyed watching that color build up on your build!

Looking at the parts layout in your first post it looks like this kit may have been a rework of a 348 kit. So creating a body that goes together similar to what they already had could be why they chose the separate parts they way they did. Your work on it paid off though and I think the body work looks excellent.

Thanks, Ryan, I appreciate it!  You are correct about the kit’s lineage.  I didn’t realize that when I started it.  Kind of a bummer but I think it is all that is available in plastic.

John...this one is really shaping up good .  Your paint job and interior are fantastic. Two suggestions since I have sprayed a lot of nail polish. Spray over a darker base , especially for irredescent and pearl nail polish. In your case a med dark gray would have got you the color quicker.  For the black trim switch to X-18. Looks the same but mistakes clean up a lot easier and quicker with polishing compound.  I think overlooking kit inconsistencies and just looking for a nice shelf model is the way to go.  A lot less anxiety and more building pleasure. Look forward to seeing the finished car. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 10:40 AM, Rich Chernosky said:

John...this one is really shaping up good .  Your paint job and interior are fantastic. Two suggestions since I have sprayed a lot of nail polish. Spray over a darker base , especially for irredescent and pearl nail polish. In your case a med dark gray would have got you the color quicker.  For the black trim switch to X-18. Looks the same but mistakes clean up a lot easier and quicker with polishing compound.  I think overlooking kit inconsistencies and just looking for a nice shelf model is the way to go.  A lot less anxiety and more building pleasure. Look forward to seeing the finished car. 

You make some excellent points, Rich, and I am going to file them away and use them in the future.  Funny thing about the trim, I have used X-18 in the past for the very reason you mentioned.  I literally cannot tell you why I didn't this time.  I think it is just because I like the LP line so much that I automatically grabbed it.  Again, thanks for the suggestions!