Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kitbashing and Glues

One thing that's common here is the act of cutting up a body and somehow putting it back together. The question I have is what sort of things are done to keep the body together? I have heard of people using things like Super Glue, the red Testors tube glue, even not using glue entirely and melting bodies back together. I would really like to know what some methods and techniques are.  Thanks. 

If I am doing major surgery on a body, such as sectioning it, or shortening it, I will often use Acrylic Nail Filler to put it back together with. It is stronger than any glue joint, but it is a bear to sand down.  On my last section job, I put some .10 styrene strips behind the cut area and used that to reinforce the joint, it also gave me a base for putty in areas that I didn't get the straightest cut.  A good styrene glue, such as Plastiweld, or even straight MEK will work.  The biggest issue is to get your cuts as straight and clean as possible then realign the parts as near to original as possible.  That way you will have a better gluing surface and less need for putty.  Hope this helps a little bit.

• Like 1

I also use liquid glues such as Bondene or Tamiya. I use styrene strips on the backside to aid alignment and to reinforce the joint. Take extra care with your cuts and make the seam fit as well as possible to provide the best possible glue surface. Use small pieces of styrene to fill any gaps. I also use sprue-goo in any remaining gaps or holes.

• Like 1