Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is this a result of poorly mixed or thinned paint?

7 hours ago, Milo said:

Would it change opinions if I said I didn't use any primer?

A good primer coat is always a good idea for any number of reasons. But Testors enamels goes down on plastic smooth and sticks well if the plastic is prepped at all. Also, Testors will look better on bare plastic than if shot onto a lousy primer job. The key here is not to do that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Milo said:

can you link me a decent air compressor and regulator?

There are any number of decent compressors even at Amazon, Point Zero is a decent brand. But meanwhile you can put your compressed cans of gas in warm water so as not to ice up. It may not be ideal but it will be more consistent..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Milo said:

how would I know if it is compatible with my airbrush?

That compressor has a 1/8” male British Standard Pipe thread connection. You may need an adapter to your airhose. I would recommend you also upgrade your airbrush. There are plenty of opinions on here about what is a good airbrush. That said, I would recommend the Paasche H. It is a single stage workhorse that is simple to use and very easy to keep clean. It can be used with a paint cup or bottles. Paasche has fittings to connect to that compressor.

https://www.paascheairbrush.com/airbrush/airbrush-sprayer-accessories/adapters?page=1

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Milo said:

I was planning on getting a paasche h... once the funds make themselves present.

Paasche Airbrush H-1AS Airbrush Set

$58 at Amazon. Then you need the compressor. The H at times can get a little thirsty for air so I'd get the compressor with a tank on it. This set has just the #3 tip which is the standard tip and no side mount color cup. But what it does have is the 1/8 fitting you need to mount to that compressor. And you can do pretty much everything with this anyway for model cars. Course there are other sets for a bit more money.  And any of those accessory tips or the cup are available separately.

Just pointing this out is all, if nothing else you have a good view of the adapter fitting lol. There are about 6 different ways you could go to get yourself into an H.

On 9/10/2023 at 3:53 PM, Dave G. said:

Paasche Airbrush H-1AS Airbrush Set

$58 at Amazon. Then you need the compressor. The H at times can get a little thirsty for air so I'd get the compressor with a tank on it. This set has just the #3 tip which is the standard tip and no side mount color cup. But what it does have is the 1/8 fitting you need to mount to that compressor. And you can do pretty much everything with this anyway for model cars. Course there are other sets for a bit more money.  And any of those accessory tips or the cup are available separately.

Just pointing this out is all, if nothing else you have a good view of the adapter fitting lol. There are about 6 different ways you could go to get yourself into an H.

what is the tank for on the compressor?

On 9/8/2023 at 11:05 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Those aerosol cans are a waste of money. You can not get a decent paint job with them. As you use them they get cold and the pressure drops. That is the source of your paint problems. You need a compressor and a regulator to be able to get a decent paint job. 

What about tamiya spray cans, are those the same way?

12 hours ago, Milo said:

what is the tank for on the compressor?

Your spray pattern can pulsate without a tank and your pressure also can dropout to below your regulated setting.. The tank holds some reserve air so the airbrush doesn't starve for air on longer passes. With that said Paasche themselves sells the H with a tankless compressor but it's designed for the required flow. They also sell a tank style compressor as well. I doubt you want to pay the name brand cost though.

• Like 1

My opinion?

Get a "pancake" compressor.

There's no need to spend money on a hobby dedicated compressor.

Then you can spray your model in the morning, and fill a tire or operate an air nailer in the afternoon if necessary.

With a pancake compressor, you can fill the tank in the garage or outside, and then bring it inside for hours of silent spraying.

I have a DeWalt 6 gallon.

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave G. said:

I use an 8gal 4.5 cfm 135psi portable compressor for various things to include my airbrushing. But that doesn't mean it's for everyone. Some folks simply want reasonably quiet air for airbrushing.

I also have a small single cylinder air brush compressor that I use for small jobs, but my point is that if you have any use at all for a compressor for other uses, there’s really no need for a hobby dedicated compressor.

A small pancake compressor will do everything that a airbrush compressor will do, and then some.

Just makes sense to me to buy one that will cover everything.

Steve

• Like 1