Model Cars Magazine Forum

RIP Lee Baker

Lee was an inspiration to so many of us in the CARS club off Chatt.He was always offering up a hint or tip and even some wise directions. His builds were pieces of art and his own clean style of building was known by many around the world. He will be so greatly missed.

Danny Edwards

President of CARS

What can I say, but that I am saddened, deeply so! Lee Baker was perhaps the finest friend I have had in this hobby for more than 30 years. It's said that when an elderly person dies, it's like a library burning down--and with Lee's passing, no analogy could be closer to the truth.

For those of us privileged to know Lee, he was absolutely passionate about model cars, primarily kits of antique and Classic Era Cars (Duesenberg Model J's were his specialty), with an additional emphasis on flathead era V8 Fords.

Lee's knowledge, coupled with his incredible skills, and his eye for shape and proportion, could take a Monogram Duesenberg kit, and create a Figoni et Falaschi "French Speedster", a Weymann Fishtail SJ Speedster, a Murphy convertible coupe, even the fabulous "Maharaja of Indore" Gurney Nutting Speedster. But he could also take 4 AMT 32 Ford Tudor Sedan bodies, and with prodigious cutting and splicing, come up with a very believable '32 Duesenberg Model J Limousine that you could look at, swear you had seen one just like it, at a show or in a magazine--even though the body shell was fictitious.

Lee's memories of those grand cars went all the way back to his boyhood in the early-mid 30's, when while accompanying his Dad (a Dentist) to his practice on the south side of the Loop in Chicago, cured his boredom by going to the Duesenberg Chicago Branch on South Michigan Avenue, and drooling over the fabulous Duesenbergs there for service or for sale (new or used). And those formative years were the genesis of his vast storehouse of both personal knowledge an an enviable library of reference materials. As a Life Member of Lake Michigan Model Car Club out of surburban Chicago, Lee was perhaps one of the very first model car builders to have his work featured in what has become one of the World's premiere car museums, the A-C-D Museum in Auburn IN.

My travels with Lee to Classic Car shows in the midwest were fabulous! Trips to the Gilmore Museum near Kalamazoo, Meadow Brook Hall Concours in Auburn Hills MI, to the Behring Museum at Blackhawk Centre in Danville CA, the Towe Ford Museum in Sacramento, those are treasured memories, as Lee would explain to me the differences between this car and that, anecdotes about the coachbuilders, and at the Early Ford V8 Club National Convention in 1998, just seeing his eyes light up at seeing some V8 Ford he may only have read about, but never seen in person--then sharing with me stuff about that car that I never knew before. Lee was one of my mentors for sure.

In addition, his life was also one of devotion to his lovely wife, and to his two children, and all his grandchildren, both his and his stepchildren's kids--to him, it didn't matter, they were his grandkids too.

I always knew that Lee would leave this world before me, he was 18 years older than me--I just never figured it would come this soon. I last talked with him about a month ago, and I sensed that things were not at all well, so in a way, without saying so in words, I just knew that his time was near.

So, Lee--you have triumphed, and surely the Lord has a really great workshop ready for you, with all the tools, all the toys, and oh, over on the wall there's an eternity of Duesenberg, Packard, Mercedes, Bugatti, Cadillac V16's and a gaggle of V8 Ford kits, all ready for your masterful hand, and thanks for all the model car fun we had! Godspeed, Lee--until we meet again! :P

Arthur Anderson

I'll miss him too. I had the priviledge of meeting him at the Amelia Island Concours a few years ago, and it seems to me I was him again at one of the GSL shows. I shared a love of the Classics - the REAL classics, not the 50s and 60s stuff that today's "kids" call "classics"! I so much admired his work that I bought all the old master parts he did that AAM used to sell. Still have them carefully packed away.

I've always wondered if there would be enough interest to warrant a new round of casting, but never was convinced that there was. It's a shame really....

Dave

I never met the Gentleman, but I knew well who he was. Anytime we lose one of the "Masters" it's ALWAYS a tragedy, but I'm sure his talents will be reborn anew in a new inspired modeler. Rest well Lee, we shall keep your memory alive and well in ALL our attempts to mimic your masterful skills. God's speed,Lee, R.I.P. :angry:

Some details:

Visitation Friday March 6th from 2-4 and 6-8 at Chattanooga Funeral Home East Chapel.

404 S Moore Rd

Chattanooga, TN 37412

Phone: (423) 698-2541

Funeral 1PM Saturday at Brainerd Baptist Church

Directions

Burial will be a private ceremony.

Edited by Zoom Zoom

Some details:

Visitation Friday May 6th from 2-4 and 6-8 at Chattanooga Funeral Home East Chapel.

404 S Moore Rd

Chattanooga, TN 37412

Phone: (423) 698-2541

Funeral 1PM Saturday at Brainerd Baptist Church

Directions

Burial will be a private ceremony.

I'm guessing you must mean Friday MARCH 6, right Bob?

The hobby isn't quite as bright any more.

I had just asked a couple weeks ago if anyone had seen Lee lately. I always enjoyed talking with him at Toledo. I guess I last saw him there 4 or 5 years ago. He always told me that he liked my street rod models "because they were so colorful" and that he would have to try building a hot rod model some day.

I am very saddened by this news. He was a VERY talented modeler and, more importantly, a wonderful gentleman.

Lee Baker

Miles Lee Baker, 82, of East Ridge, went home to be with the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ Wednesday, March 4, 2009.

More arrangements will be announced.

Visitation will be from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. today at the funeral home.

Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Brainerd Baptist Church with the Rev. George Clark and the Rev. Robby Gallaty officiating. There will be a luncheon for the family and friends at the church after a private family burial at Hamilton Memorial Gardens following the service.

Please share your thoughts and condolences at www.mem.com.

Arrangements are by the East Chapel of Chattanooga Funeral Home, Crematory & Florist, 404 S. Moore Road.