Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tires for Mickey Thompson Attempt 1 Record Car

dust collectors

IIRC, that kit has been released with two different front tires. The early version (through '89 anyway) had a round-shouldered, narrow-tread that is, as far as I know, unique to this model, and hard to find. They are correct for the real car.

I've also seen the kit with the more square-shouldered front tires that came in the early Revell SWC Willys gasser kit...but the right tires may have been cherry-picked somewhere along the line.

In the absence of the original narrow-tread tires, the two-piece, round-shouldered, hard vinyl tires in several of Revell's gassers (they're in the Henry J, for sure...I just looked) make a decent substitute.

1 hour ago, Bill Eh? said:

Might the Gofer Racing parts pack provide the correct wheels and tires that you are looking for? They are the same ones that came in the Atlantis Mooneyes kit.

Not the same. 

Look closely at the tires in the photo below. Round shoulders, VERY narrow tread, and very different from the parts-pack tires.

They are correct for the Attempt I kit (at least through the 1989 release)

Dragster "Attempt 1" - Scratchbuilding - Slotblog

The parts-pack tires, though very different, will fit the Attempt wheels and look OK to most people, and they may be what came in later releases of the kit.

EDIT: Scalemates shows 1989 as the last release of the kit. I have 2 of the '89 releases here, and both of them have the tires shown above, unique to this kit AFAIK. I also have both the original Revell and the repop Atlantis parts-packs, and the tires are NOT the same as the Attempt I front tires.

EDIT 2: The correct tires for the Attempt were, again IIRC, specially built, low-rolling-resistance speed record tires. They look like motorcycle casings with maybe 2.5" wide treads, similar to these LSR front tires, but with treads that were narrower still.

What Is a Belly Tank Racer? Drop Tank Cars and Lakesters Explained

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...