Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 next year

Mr mopar

On 12/13/2023 at 8:12 PM, iBorg said:

The MPC Camaro and Dodge Dart funny cars haven't been available since the early 70's if not late 60's. In that same vein, I'd love to have some pro stocks to buy. The last one available was the Mustang II.

Isn't the Dart Funny Car the '70 Ramchargers (et alia) model that's been issued as the Hemi Hunter (c.1983) ? Not sure if it's the same - or at least its basis - as the Charlie Allen L.A. Dart (1969) ? 

I don't believe that I've ever seen a Camaro -1967-1969 vintage - Funny Car from MPC. Perhaps the Dick Harrell kit ? 

We're not alone in hoping for a Mustang II kit ! I'd be keen on a 1975-1976 iteration - a build-up of the Gapp & Rousch Sudden Death car'd be too much fun ! 

The Dart body was updated from '69 to '70, then altered again for the LA Dart wheelstander.  The Ramchargers' 1:1 Dart funny car was a '67, not a '70.  That car had a narrowed steel body (with fiberglass roof) and a one-off chassis.  Their '70 funny car was a Challenger as depicted by the Round 2 reissue kit.

MPC did make a Dickie Harrell '69 Camaro funny car kit.  That Camaro body was all over the place; after that, it became the Jeg's dirt track body, then the black street machine with the Pontiac engine, then the convertible.

• Like 1

Never knew that some of those Catilinas used the GP grille.  I thought the original kit already depicted a lightweight?

Did a little looking and found plenty of pics of both types, but not an explanation.  Does anyone know if it was something they did later in the model year, trying to shave off a few more pounds?

On 12/13/2023 at 9:22 PM, Robberbaron said:

Huh, wonder why all the '73-'77 Grand Prix brochures list the wheelbase as 116"?  Guess GM couldn't figure that out...🙄

Screenshot_20231213-230029_kindlephoto-1797147674.png

Yep, you’re right,  I guess they went back down to 116” for the ‘73-‘77 models to reduce production costs.  I always thought they were 118” like the ‘69-‘72 models.

Edited by mikos

9 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Never knew that some of those Catilinas used the GP grille.  I thought the original kit already depicted a lightweight?

Did a little looking and found plenty of pics of both types, but not an explanation.  Does anyone know if it was something they did later in the model year, trying to shave off a few more pounds?

The GP grilles were installed by individual racers.  NHRA class rules allowed for "mild" customizing in the stock/stock-based classes.

No lightweight Grand Prix were built, but I believe one was built with the dual quad 421 engine and four-speed transmission.

16 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

The Grand Prix used a Catalina body and chassis with a different grill and other trim, and of course a much nicer interior.  

19 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Does anyone know if it was something they did later in the model year, trying to shave off a few more pounds?

A lot of aluminum body parts were used (front fenders, hood, inner front fenders, bumpers). 

The '63 "Swiss Cheese" lightweight also had holes drilled in the frame to make it even lighter.  I read before that maybe 12 were made before GM shut the program down.

This Rare Pontiac Catalina Super Duty Lightweight Is Selling On Ebay (motorious.com)

Edited by Motor City